Author Topic: Pounding Headache at times!  (Read 5853 times)

debraclark

Pounding Headache at times!
« on: December 07, 2012, 08:47:40 am »

Hello everyone. I have a question to put out to all of you.  I am 10 weeks post op and I have been dealing with neck pain and head pain/aches along with my facial getting better. I still have a dry eye and use eyedrops alot for that. And now I am only taking Ibuprophen for pain because the pain meds were not refillable. My question is this....Lately three different times I have woken up with a pounding headache mostly in my AN side eye. Its awful, brings tears to my eyes after about 15 mins Ibuprophen kicks in but has anyone else experienced this? I think I am gonna call my surgeons nurse today and see if I can get a refill or something else called in to my pharmacy? I was getting percocet before but they mentioned last time something called Vicodin? Is there a difference in the two? Thank you for listening=)
New Jersey- Female- 54
Self Diagnosed July 6, 2012
Officially Diagnosed August 16, 2012      3CM AN
Surgery at Jefferson Neuroscience Sept. 25, 2012
Removed 99.9% of tumor-10 hour surgery-Retrosigmoid

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Pounding Headache at times!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 01:31:22 pm »
Hi, Debra ~

I'm sorry to learn of your headaches and hope your doctor's office can offer you a prescription to lessen the pain, which sounds excruciating.   :(

Percocet and Vicodin are similar narcotic drugs commonly prescribed for acute pain relief.  Vicodin contains a combination of acetaminophen and hydrocodone. Percocet contains a combination of acetaminophen and oxycodone.  I'm sure your doctor will tell you that both are potentially addictive so caution is advised when using these medications.

Please try to update us as to whether you are able to obtain a prescription and/or the headaches subside.  Thanks. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

debraclark

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 03:55:59 pm »
Thanks for the response Jim. As for the doctor office getting back to me today they did not. Regular nurse was not in and another was supposed to call me back. Guess I was lost in the shuffle?
New Jersey- Female- 54
Self Diagnosed July 6, 2012
Officially Diagnosed August 16, 2012      3CM AN
Surgery at Jefferson Neuroscience Sept. 25, 2012
Removed 99.9% of tumor-10 hour surgery-Retrosigmoid

millert

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 01:29:17 am »
Hi Debra, I know exactly how you feel. I had my AN removed 12/10/1998. I never had headaches before but after my surgery, (middle fossa by Jackler/Pitts @ UCSF) I did. They started once or twice a week. Gradually increasing in severity and frequency. Back then, my doctor said it wasn't from the surgery. My family practice DR. gave me fiorcet. They worked for me for several years. However I was taking more tablets (3-4) two to three times a day. I was given a referral to see a neurologist at UCSF, (Dr. Neil Raskin). He understood what I was going through. He explained that about 10% of AN surgery patients have this curse of a side effect from the surgery. They do not know why or what causes the headaches. I am sure you may have read the article about the headache study here on this website. Continuing with Raskin, he said over time the headaches disappear, however, less than 1% never go away. Lucky me, I am in this group. I am currently taking 90 mg of methadone- 20 in the morning, 30mg in the afternoon, and 40mg at bedtime. When the pain break through this, I take half a ml of a product called Oxyfast. Liquid oxycontin. Very fast acting. Makes me sleepy. I take a nap and when I awaken my pain has subsided. Now all of my meds are class 2's. Both Percocet and vicodin are as well. I could not take Vicodin because I am allergic to codeine. Prior to seeing Dr. Raskin, my FP graduated me from the Fiorcet to the Percocet. They worked for awhile, but like all meds our bodies adapt to the meds. We have to take more pills more frequently to get the same relief we originally received. Hopefully, I pray, you are not going to be like me. I ultimately had to retire (2004) because of my headaches.
Right side AN, removed Dec. 1998 Jackler;Pitts @UCSF,

Blags

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 05:54:42 am »
Since you are still only 10wks post op make sure you speak with dr to make sure it's not brain swelling and more steroids are needed. Mine said to notify them if I get bad persistent headaches. Good luck and feel better.
Oct 2012 - 1.4cm AN removed retro sigmoid with Dr. Boockvar and Dr. Brown at Weill Cornell NY Presbyterian

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 10:49:45 pm »
Hi Debra,

I can send you a research paper regarding headaches following AN surgery. This was the only person I found that addressed my problem. 

I was told that my headaches would get better but they never did. I went in search of a cure rather than medication to cover the problem or have the medication become the problem. (I've tried a lot of meds.)

If you (or anyone) send me a private email, I can attach the research paper to it. I can't seem to attach it to this email.

Best wishes,
Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.