Author Topic: 2 weeks post op today! Feeling great!  (Read 9515 times)

Aprilcl

2 weeks post op today! Feeling great!
« on: November 09, 2012, 07:59:53 am »
Hello all! 
I cannot believe that just two weeks ago I was at Mass Gen / Mass Eye and Ear having surgery.  I am sorry for the delay in posting my results.... especially since it hasn't been because of recovery/pain, etc.  I have been so busy, healthy and back to normal!   Thank you all... if it wasn't for this site I would never had the success, contacts, doctors that have made this all possible!!!  I am smiling... still cannot post a picture but I am smiling! 

Background: from the Hartford Connecticut area.  Had hearing loss, balance issues and facial twitch spasms.  Doctors around here said it was an AN causing all 3 issues.  Was W&W for about a year.  Until the AN grew and face got worse.  Hartford surgeons recommended translab surgery.  Got a 2nd opinion with Dr. Barker at Mass Gen  (Genius!).  He looked at my face and said he thought I had two distinct issues.  AN (hearing and balance) and vascular compression of the Facial nerve.  He suggested a different surgery approach - larger opening, giving him more options once he got inside.  It sounded so much scarier.  But after talking to people on this site and at the ANA brunches, I went with Barker, mass gen and THE bigger opening. 

Surgery/Hospital Stay:  Friday AM Surgery - team was Barker/McKenna.   No issues at all - under by 7AM - talking but not making sense at 4PM.  When I was open,  Barker was able to look around and he was right.  He removed the AN but further away there was vascular compression of the facial nerve.  He put in a little teflon (??)  clip that has completely stopped the facial spasms. 
They wanted to keep me until Tuesday... But with Barker's support, I was out and home on Sunday.  There was no reason to stay.  I was up and about.  Not on any pain meds.    There truly was no real reason to stay beyond Sunday.   Well one reason -  The new Neuro wing at MassGen is gorgeous!  All private rooms... with pull-out couches.  Very easy for my husband to stay.  Even the Neuro ICU is all private.

First days home: I was very tired... slept most the time.   There were a few vomit comets!  :-[    Especially when I tried to do the X with the head shake.  (I hate that X)  Within 4 days I was able to go to a grocery store (someone else had to drive) but by Friday (1 week post-op) I was driving and completely ok.   

Yesterday First Physical Therapy:  There are a few balance moves that I am struggling with.  Kind of odd that you do not notice that you cannot do something until you try.  e.g. the therapist said try kneeling.  I was foolishly confident and fell over!

Stitches come out today... cannot wait to wash my whole head! 

Again, I truly want to thank everyone on this site for the advice and contacts!!  If I had gone with my original neurosurgeon and his surgery recommendation, I would either had 1) continued facial spasms/paralysis or 2) had to have a second surgery.  I cannot thank you enough.  You saved my smile!!!! 
Thank you!
Chris
Diagnosed 2011
Surgery 10/26/2012
Mass Gen and Mass Eye and Ear
Drs. Barker & McKenna
AN size 1.5 cm
Also vascular compression of facial nerve

lrobie

Re: 2 weeks post op today! Feeling great!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 09:54:30 am »
Congratulations on a successful outcome and short recovery time!  You must not have what is referred to as wonkihead as I see you were driving one week post-op.  I'm 16 weeks post-op and still feel uneasy driving.  What do you mean by the X with the head shake.  I don't think I've heard that before.

Lisa 
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 10:07:34 am »
Yaaaaaay, Chris .....

Congratulations on your remarkable progress post-op.  Keep it up ..... but, be safe and listen to your body ..... easy does it in the first few weeks post-op.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Aprilcl

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 10:37:16 am »
Lisa - Lynne Mc and others had recommended the x to help with the wonkiness.  There was some discussion that if you started using it before the surgery, it would be quicker to recover after. 

I do have wonky-head.  The X helps.... in the absolute worst way.  It gets you used to the feeling.  And your body learns to respond to movement.  I have a love/hate relationship with that X. 

All you do is tape a large black X on a plain wall.  Look at it and move your head back and forth (About 20 degrees.) for a minute.  Once you can do it without vomiting (very hard) then move it closer, move head more, do it more and so on until your other side starts learning to take over.    If I keep it up, the therapist says I can tape the X on a busy wall (she recommends Christmas wrapping paper) and start from the beginning (1 min, 20 degrees).  Whoeee!   
Diagnosed 2011
Surgery 10/26/2012
Drs. Barker & McKenna
AN size 1.5 cm

Chances3

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 12:07:47 pm »
Hi Chris,

Great to hear about your recovery.  Please spread the news about your sugeons, this community is always looking for a good doctors.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 12:49:55 pm »
Chris ~

Congratulations on your astounding recovery!  Thanks for sharing your great news with us, too. 

My AN surgery recovery was similar to yours (resumed driving within two weeks of my surgery) so I can relate to your euphoria at getting back to normal and putting this AN stuff behind you, as it were. 

I would suggest that you not 'overdo it' - but I think its too late for that!   ;D

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 06:05:16 pm »
Good news.  Congratulations! 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

It is what it is

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 01:31:11 pm »
I join with the others in our AN community in being happy for you in your recovery.  It was helpful to hear you were working on your balance issues.  Welcome to the postie world.  :)

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

knit78

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 02:49:11 pm »
I just had my surgery on November 2nd with Dr. Barker at MGH and Dr. Quesnell at Mass Ear & Eye. I'm so glad to hear that you had such amazing results. I, personally, loved all of my surgical team and every single human who cared for me. Like you said, the neuro wing is AMAZING and allowed my boyfriend to stay comfortably with me. The neuro ICU was immaculate, as well.

I'm still struggling with the aftermath, but know that I will be on the same positive road as you very soon. My stitches, too, will be removed this week and I cannot wait to properly wash my hair. It's the little things in life. :)

Best of luck to you and your ongoing recovery. I wish you nothing but positive thoughts.
Nikki

*MRI Sept 19, 2012 shows 14mmx9mmx9mm
*Consult with Dr. Barkers & Quesnell October 5th
*Retrosigmoid performed successfully November 2nd
*Returned home November 6th to begin my recovery
*Counting my blessings and looking forward to the day that I run the streets again

It is what it is

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 03:45:18 pm »
Congrats to you as well Nikki!  :)
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

millie

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 06:55:59 pm »
Chris- Great news regarding your recovery!

When you say move your head 20 degrees, do you mean first to the left, then to the right, while your eyes are staring at the X?  Then, do you move (with feet) forward and back? 
Thanks in advance.  Mil

Lillygold

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 08:06:01 pm »
Chris and Nikki
Glad things are going so well with you both. I get rid of MsAN tomorrow , Nov 13. I hope I can report good news like you guys. Very encouraging
Lilly

Aprilcl

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 09:17:25 pm »
Thank you all and best wishes to you, Lilly. 
Millie - it is a 2 minute drill.  Tape an X to the wall, keeping your eyes on the X turn your head slightly both ways.  (like you are looking at someone while shaking your head no.)  Only do it for 2 minutes.  I set the microwave timer... it seems like it takes forever!!  As you feel better, try it the next day closer to the X. 
Dr Barker's office set me up with a vestibular therapist (in CT).  She only has 4 simple exercises that she uses for Vestibular therapy.
1) the X
2) walking a straight line heel-toe. both forward and backward.  While walking backward, you should turn you head and watch your foot land. 
3) folding laundry while kneeling. Sooo hard not to topple over! 
4) at the grocery store look left and right at the shelves and force yourself to spot something e.g. the Tide logo on the second shelf on the right, then the Lysol logo on the top shelf on the left.

All 4 are so much harder than they sound... and they all induce wonky-head.  But the more you do it the faster your body gets over it!  Chris
Diagnosed 2011
Surgery 10/26/2012
Drs. Barker & McKenna
AN size 1.5 cm

lrobie

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 11:12:03 am »
Hi Chris,

As far as the X exercises, I have been doing those.  However, I have my name written in the middle of a checkerboard and focus on my name while moving my head side to side.  I was told to make the background busier the further along you are.   I have heard that walking in grocery stores helps as well.  However, I dread that feeling and don't enjoy shopping at all now.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

millie

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 04:51:23 pm »
Thank you for the exercises, Chris.  I will start them and hope they help.  Mil