Author Topic: TV and Computer Monitors + Dry Eye + Closed Eye Visuals  (Read 4059 times)

TV and Computer Monitors + Dry Eye + Closed Eye Visuals
« on: October 22, 2012, 04:42:31 pm »
 ???
Male, 59, had 35 cc AN removed in July 2012, unilateral left.
I had a very difficult 12 hr surgery + gamma knife which resulted in seizures lasting 3 days post-op; post-op hallucinations diagnosed as aggresive psychosis; left dry eye; palsy in facial nerve; injured myself during convulsions; post-op numbness and tingling in left leg and palm; headaches; nystagmus; post-op astigmatism in both eyes; vertigo prior to operation; wonkiness now; difficulty sleeping..........and the list goes on. Don't cry for me Argentina.

My biggest problem by far now is the dry eye and my inability to tolerate computer screens or TV for long periods. Sometimes even after a few minutes I have eye strain. Usually 45 minutes is about the maximum I can tolerate. Prolonged viewing results in eye pain, headache and closed eye anomolies that are not "phosphenes" rather they are psychedelic in appearence and could certainly be catagorized under the term of "form constants". For me, a rotating, tunneling illusion is experienced most often with fractals and other colors. These closed eye visuals are usually very unpleasant when they are accompanied by anxiety, depression, pain and insomnia.

No, I'm not on dope. I do not think I'm schizo. I think it is a side-effect of my surgery.

Are there any other AN survivors out there experiencing closed eye "form constants" or eye strain from TV/PC screens?

Jill Marie

Re: TV and Computer Monitors + Dry Eye + Closed Eye Visuals
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:37:49 pm »
Welcome to the Forum!  Sorry to hear your surgery was so rough.  As for you eye, I haven't had the "form constants" but do have trouble with the PC screen.  Not long after posting this I will get off the net as the bright light hurts my eye as it is extremely dry and red right now.  Are you using drops or ointment in your eye?  How well you take care of your eye and what you use will help a lot.  My problem right now is working to many hours something I hope will change soon and help alleviate my issues.  It hasn't been that long since your surgery although it probably seems like a very long time, it will take time for your body to heal and for your eye to adjust.  I'm sure other will be along soon to add input to your issues and help as much as they can.  It will get better both over time and with learning how to take care of your eye.  Good luck and hope to hear from you again, Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 01:57:19 pm »
This may be a "blinding flash of the obvious" (like my teenaged daughter likes to say) but have you seen an eye expert?

And if so, what did he/she say?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

thisisajourney

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 06:11:22 pm »
Have you looked up blinkeez hopefully i didnt miss read your post

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 08:07:42 pm »
Thank you for your replies. My opthamologist said I have astigmatism in both eyes due to surgery. I use GenTeal gel at night at night and tape the left dry eye shut. This has helped. I am getting better but I still cannot tolerate too much TV or computer screens. My opthamologist said I must wait to get new lenses for about a couple more months since my astigmatism is still improving. My "closed eye visuals" are slightly less intense. I need to get another MRI to see if the residual mass is growing back. Luckily my driving seems to be good. All my doctors say about the same thing - I need to wait, stay calm and be patient. I am now 3 full months post-op. Good luck to all others out there reading this.