Author Topic: MRI today at 11:15!!  (Read 5115 times)

tmason

MRI today at 11:15!!
« on: October 15, 2012, 08:16:13 am »
I sure hope they can give me results today too! I know I will get a CD but am not sure if I can pull up the pics on my computer. I see the ENT on Wednesday for BPPV testing so hopefully he will go over the MRI with me then too! If not I will insist he does.

So cannot wait to get some results. I fell at work Saturday because I lost my balance...frustrating. The tinnitus though has seem to quiet down some--still there just not as loud as it has been the past few weeks. Thankful for that :0)

I will let you all know the results!

Tina

millie

Re: MRI today at 11:15!!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 04:44:06 pm »
Tina- Sorry to read you may have an acoustic neuroma but you have come to the right place.  Mine was diagnosed in FEb and I have experienced your symptoms.  Of course we look the same so it is hard for people to understand our predicament.
You might like to follow my posts-I am a newbie and have posted in  W and W but  I will soon move what I post to  post-op/treatment. I fear I will miss the garbled sounds in my left ear-but I have decided to have the  translab at NYU WEdnesday. I am glad it's finally approaching.  I will post asap.  Hang in there.  Millie 

tmason

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 08:09:58 pm »
Thanks Millie. Right now I just feel like hiding from the world...not because I am fearful of the worst...but because I regret telling people around here. I have either been treated like I am faking my balance or that I am so distragught over the possibility that I have convinced myself I have one...neither of which I am. I thought if I remained open about it and allowed people to ask questions I would have alot of supportive people around me but instead people are talking about me behind my back and trying to tell me how I should feel or act. I tried to read the mri results today, but of course I am no doctor. THe good thing is I didn't see anything big that would jump at me saying tumor. Few possible small questionable areas but I will just have to wait for the report on Wednesday.

Thanks for listening

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 01:19:52 am »
Tina: Sorry you have not been supported by those around you, many of us have found that to be the case. I do hope you are NOT found to have a tumor but rather some simple little thing that can be quickly and easily treated HOWEVER that being said if it is an AN it is not the worse thing in the world to have and we're here for support thoughout your journey, whatever that may be.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 06:48:21 pm »
Hope your MRI is "clean".

As far as pulling up pictures on a CD, it's very easy - even for those of us who are "computer-challenged" like me  ;D

However, if you view your pictures, don't diagnose yourself - make sure you talk to your doctor.  He/she's the expert.

Good luck!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 08:06:57 am »
. I tried to read the mri results today, but of course I am no doctor.
Thanks for listening

You probably have several hundred images on your CD. An AN is not that hard to spot if you have some idea of what to look for.

Check out the following image search for examples of how an AN looks on an MRI and where it's located. Big or small, they are all in pretty much the same spot.

https://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=879&bih=565&q=acoustic+neuroma+mri+images&oq=acoustic+neuroma+mri&gs_l=img.1.2.0l3j0i24l7.1632.6189.0.10590.20.20.0.0.0.0.99.1553.20.20.0.caqth..0.0...1.1.2uNeXrLHkD8

Each of your MRI images should have a centimeter scale at the bottom and side so you can get a rough idea of the dimensions.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

tmason

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 04:18:15 pm »
Thanks everyone for your replies. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. They said my MRI looks clear...which I know I should be really happy and I am...but its kind of like now what? Sometimes I wonder if its so small they can't see it..but I am trying not to be negative. Just incredibly frustrated that I have not answers. I wish there was a place here that talked about people who didn't have an AN but it was this instead...does that make sense?

I have undergone tests for BPPV...they found nystagmus but she said my results were below the significant level. Had a VNG today and again my results for borderline. Its really hard not having a diagnosis and feeling like people think I am making it up. My balance is awful and fall over while standing especially with my eyes closed. I go tomorrow to a general practicioner for blood work and maybe a refereal to a neurologist.

Thanks everyone for being so wonderful here. I will pray for all of you and will continue to check in on you :0)

Tina

tmason

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 04:25:55 pm »
Do  you think I should send a copy of my MRI scans to HEI just to be sure?? I hate to waste their time but I don't know how much experience these doctors have here with AN.

Tina

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 06:27:28 pm »
Do  you think I should send a copy of my MRI scans to HEI just to be sure?? I hate to waste their time but I don't know how much experience these doctors have here with AN.

Tina

From what I've read on this site, the people at HEI won't consider it a waste of time.

I suggest, however, that you obtain a copy of the written radiology report which has a thorough evaluation of the MRI.

I wouldn't rely solely on somebody just saying it looks clear.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

millie

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 11:42:22 am »
Yes send it to HOUSE. I got several opinions. Praying for you.  Mil

It is what it is

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 06:34:46 pm »
My thoughts are with you as you try to find the reason why you have your symptoms. I'm glad to hear a tumor wasn't found but I understand your frustration in not being able to know yet what is causing your symptoms. My thoughts are with you.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.