Author Topic: Six weeks post-op update  (Read 11136 times)

lrobie

Six weeks post-op update
« on: August 29, 2012, 10:49:03 am »
Hi Forum Friends,

It has been six weeks since my middle fossa surgery at HEI.  For the most part, I feel that I have done pretty well with my recovery.  My biggest complaint is the bobble-head feeling.  I have seen improvement, but it's taking some time and therapy.  The bobble-head feeling caused me to delay driving again, but I'm happy to report that I've been out four times this past week.  Looking side to side is the most difficult part of it.  I just have to move my head slow.  No one behind me has beeped, so I'm guessing that's a good sign.   ;D 

My balance is still off, but I believe it's brought on because of the bobble-head feeling.

I had some daily post-op headaches.  Those have gotten better and I only get one every few days and are manageable with OTC pain meds. 

My hearing is the same as it was.  The tinnitus gets a little louder from time to time.  I also am dealing with a sensitivity to certain loud voices or sounds.  I believe I have what's referred to as "recruitment".  I'm hoping that goes away as my husband's voice is one that bothers me.  I've been putting cotton in that ear.

The site of the incision has healed nicely.  There are times when I feel a little numbness in certain spots, but not the entire area.  One area that has been sore is at the end of my incision right behind my ear.  I have a feeling that is where one of the screws was placed as it feels like it is sticking out.   ???  The soreness occurs when I'm wearing my glasses or sunglasses. 

My taste buds went back to normal at about 3-4 weeks.  Unfortunately, that has caused me to want to eat more.  I still have some jaw pain which I'm reminded of every now and then.

The initial energy that I had after coming home is completely gone.  This was even after being off the steroids for a couple of weeks!  I would like the energy back as now I have to push myself to do my vestibular exercises.

I'm hoping to return to work on September 10th. 

I thank everyone for your caring, support and prayers.  I am so glad we have this forum!

Lisa
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:22:00 am by lrobie »
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Six weeks post-op update
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 11:39:36 am »
Hi Lisa .....

Thanks for giving us your six-weeks post-op update.  It sounds like a fairly normal course of recovery.

The bobble-head feeling should gradually improve as you progress in your recovery.  If you are a coffee/cola (caffeine) drinker, you might try to wean yourself off of it entirely and see if it helps.  I can always tell the difference when I have more than my usual one cup of coffee in the morning.

Your initial energy was most likely a result of the steroids still in your body, even after stopping taking them.  I always feel great on steroids (not great for sleeping, however).  Alas, we cannot safely stay on them long term!  You will re-adapt to your old energy level again, but it may take awhile.

So glad your headaches are diminishing and your taste buds are back to normal ..... we have to rejoice in each individual progress.

If you are highly sensitive to certain sounds ..... particularly high pitched sounds like dishes clanking together, crinkling of paper, like chip bags, etc. ..... you may have developed hyperacusis.  I never had it until after my first surgery.  I keep ear protectors readily available when using the blender, the vacuum, etc. ..... and I had a musicians' ear plug custom made that I wear in movie theaters or loud restaurants, etc.

Onward and upward!!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Chances3

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 12:26:50 pm »
Hi Lisa,

I had middle fossa two years ago.  Your recovery sounds perfectly normal.  Fatigue is an issue, but it will take some time for your body to respond.  I think the middle fossa procedure puts the brain in some form of shock, as I have read the brain is retracted.  Clarice has some good points, and I suffer from dishes clanking along with other items.  I'm going to look into this musician's ear plugs.

It is what it is

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 12:39:10 pm »
Hi Lisa, you know I love to read your updates!  Keep them coming!!!  :)
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 01:05:50 pm »
Lisa
Its wonderful to hear you doing great. You sound positive and I'm glad to hear that. You are an inspiration to those who are heading into surgery.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

chance1212

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 11:01:42 am »
Lisa,  I am thankful for your post as I am looking at surgery in November. I teach school and am wondering if planning to be off for 6-7 weeks is enough. I am in good health @50 and my tumor is 1.2 cm but will likely grow between now and November. I know no 2 people are alike, but do you think I've noticed your time off is about 7 weeks. Do you feel ready?
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt

lrobie

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 05:11:02 pm »
chance1212,

Yes, I think I'm ready to go back.  It will be 7 weeks and two days since surgery.  I had lunch with my boss yesterday and she's very supportive.  She said that if I can't make it thru the entire day, I can go home.  I believe I will have to limit my time on the computer or give myself breaks.  I'm feeling more secure about driving each time I'm out there.  Like you said, we are all different.  Thus, you may need more or less time off from work.

Good luck to you!

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm

lrobie

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 05:13:03 pm »
Clarice,

Does hyperacusis ever go away?  I had it intermittently prior to surgery, so was hoping it wouldn't last long.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm

LizAN

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 09:04:22 pm »
Lisa,

Thanks for the update!

Is the sound sensitivity in your AN-affected ear or the other one?

Prior to surgery, I had recruitment in the AN ear.  I don't have that after translab, but my other ear is now more sensitive.  Also, when I hear a loud noise, I get sudden very loud tinnitus in my deaf ear that only lasts for a second or so.  It sounds kind of like "chee."  Somehow, the AN side of my brain is reacting to sound coming from the non-AN side.  I didn't think that was possible.  There must be more cross-wiring than I believed.

I'm glad to hear you feel ready to go back to work!

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 07:28:55 am »
Lisa and Liz .....

My hyperacusis has not gone away at 4 1/2 years post first surgery (when it developed).  Sometimes it is worse than other times, but never goes away.  I just keep ear protectors nearby in the kitchen when my husband decides to put away clanking dishes or open chip bags, etc.  I automatically put my musicians' earplug in my good ear before going in to movies or potentially loud situations.

You can only have hyperacusis in a hearing ear, since it is the abnormal reaction to normal sounds.  Tinnitus, however, is usually the result of hearing loss so it is screaming in my deaf ear and slightly in my "good" ear.  I will do everything I can to protect the remaining hearing I have.  BTW, I do not think any hearing device affects hyperacusis, but I am not a doctor or an audiologist.  There are ongoing studies about "masking" for tinnitus, but again, it must be done with your hearing ear.

If you are only experiencing the adjustment to having only one hearing ear, it may go away.  Ask your audiologist that question ..... I asked mine and she said mine was most likely permanent at this point.

Hope that helps.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 11:31:27 am »
Hyperacusis sucks. I had this after surgery and I remember at St Vincent and at Seton everytime I flushed the toilet I cringed and hurried out of the bathroom because it hurt my ear. I hope this is temporary for you.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

lrobie

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 08:30:44 am »
The hyperacusis is actually in my AN ear.  Because I had middle-fossa, I still have about 60% of my hearing.  I've been walking around with cotton in my ear during the day.  I still have to tell my husband, and now my son, to lower their voices a little. 

I usually stay up later in the evening and if there is a sudden loud noise such as the floor cracking from settling, I get a sudden loud sound like a bee buzzing in my ear.  I cringe and feel pain as a result too.  I also have sensitivity to loud flushing toilets. 

Tinnitus is still there.  It's loud, but I try not to focus or dwell on it as it could drive a person crazy.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm

lrobie

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 01:50:05 pm »
Hi All,

I went back to work on Monday, 9/10/12.  On Tuesday, the bobble-head feeling was much worse and I was feeling totally exhausted.  I went home early.  I have to say that going back to work caused me to take a few steps back.  I'm exhausted all the time.  Bobble-head is worse.  I feel like my brain has been over-stimulated.  And, of course, everyone is telling me that I look wonderful.  Well, I feel far from wonderful. 

I'm hoping to get some rest this weekend.  I wasn't taking naps before coming back to work, so I don't know why I'm so tired.

Lisa

P.S.  For those of you who went back to work, did you continue your vestibular therapy?
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm

It is what it is

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 02:37:06 pm »
Lisa, it was good to hear about your week.  I just finished my second week of work.  The first week I was continuing my exercises and working.  I felt just like you and by the end of the week I'd go home after work and fall into bed and then stayed there all weekend.  This week was much better but I totally stopped my exercises in order to not have bobble head and wonky feelings as well as exhaustion.  It's Friday and I still have some energy.  :).  I know I need to build the exercises back in but I think I will wait until after work each day to do any of them.  I'll let you know if that works better next week.  Thinking about you as we continue to experiment together.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

LizAN

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 08:36:03 pm »
It's the end of my second week of work and I'm wiped out.  I have been having trouble sleeping and I think it's because I've been using caffeine to get through the day.  Yesterday I called in sick, but I ended up working from home all day.  At least I didn't have to make the drive or take a pay cut for the week.

My balance has actually improved dramatically since I started back to work.  I'm not doing my vestibular exercises, but every time something makes me dizzy, I repeat that movement a few times.  Oddly enough, I think driving may have made my balance better, purely from the stimulation to my system.

We had an All Hands meeting at work today, which involved seeing the movie, The Bourne Legacy.  I got to the theater late and had to sit on the second row from the screen.  The end of the movie involved a lot of fast action scenes.  I was pretty wobbly when it was over.  I felt like I'd actually been *in* the movie.  This was my first time to watch a movie on the big screen since I started losing my hearing and balance a few months before the surgery.

Lisa what you are describing sounds like the recruitment I experienced prior to surgery.  I think the difference between hyperacusis and recruitment is whether you have hearing loss in that ear.  I'm worried about getting hyperacusis in the good ear I have left and find myself being very protective of it.

I hope it gets easier for you soon.  Same to you, Karen.

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz