Author Topic: Six weeks post-op update  (Read 11137 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Six weeks post-op update
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2012, 06:41:54 am »
Just wanted to add something .....  The vestibular exercises are great to use when one is really in a wonky stage.  However, the goal is always to resume all of your normal activities without feeling wonky.  To that end, it seems logical to me that once you are doing your normal routine with no difficulty, daily vestibular exercises are probably not as needed.

It is always a temptation to avoid doing those things you know makes you wonky, but in the end, those are the very things you should be doing to stimulate your brain to learn how to handle it.  Truthfully, it does work.

With compromised vestibular systems, we all need to be cautious about quick turns ..... for some of us that may mean forever ..... for others, it may mean only when doing a new/different activity than before.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

lrobie

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 08:25:12 am »
Thanks everyone for the input.  At 10 weeks post-op, I'm still wonky during the time I'm awake.  Right after I do the vestibular exercises, I feel a slight improvement.  I've been doing the exercises with my eyes closed since last Saturday.  On my initial attempt, I would have fallen over had I not had support on both sides of me.  I've already noticed improvement with my one foot in front of the other with eyes closed exercise.  I hope this is a good sign.

Clarice - I have to admit that I didn't like going for the walks because it was not a pleasant feeling.  I also still don't like going into grocery stores, etc. because of the overwhelming wonky feeling I get.  Now that I know this will help challenge me, I need to get back out there!!

HoosierRick and others - before you started feeling better, did you have those days where you felt like it was never going to get better?

Have a good day!

Lisa

6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

HoosierRick

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 09:27:09 am »
I most definitely had days where I didn't feel like it was going to get better...especially early on.  I know it can be frustrating to feel that way...there were times that I cried, I was so frustrated because I didn't feel like I was improving, but I kept with it and eventually I started feeling better.  I don't think I will ever be 100% "old" normal, if you know what I mean, but I will try to get as close as possible.  Hang in there and keep positive.

BTW, the eyes closed exercise kicked my butt for quite a while!!  I still have to concentrate hard when walking in the dark.
3mm x 3mm right side AN. Diagnosed 10-13-11. Surgery @ HEI w/Dr. Wilkinson and Dr. Schwartz 12-07-11.