Author Topic: BAHA and a hearing aid??  (Read 3185 times)

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
BAHA and a hearing aid??
« on: July 18, 2012, 03:37:37 pm »
I've had my BAHA 2+ years and I love it, but my good ear is pretty bad now. Anyone have a BAHA and a hearing aid? Life is pretty miserable...starting to pretend that I heard what people are saying. Smiling to pretend that I heard the conversation.  Not complaining, but I need advice if anyone can help. I will me making an appointment pretty soon to get tested.

James

Paul F

Re: BAHA and a hearing aid??
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 10:29:47 am »
I had a Baha Intenso and a hearing aid.  The combination really didn't work well for me.  Only one or the other.  I found the problem was there is no way to program the two to work together.  That is one of the reasons I stopped using the BAHA and had my abutment removed.  I now use the new Phonak Bi-Cros which does program the pair to work together for the best results.  I know this was a rather extreme remedy but I was never very happy with the Intenso any way.

Hope this helps.

Paul

james e

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 10:53:01 am »
Good answer. Thanks for responding.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 12:19:03 pm »
Not sure which processor you currently wear, but have you thought about going with a stronger processor?

When I had my BAHA implant my neurotologist and I discussed which processor was right for me.  Since the hearing in my "good" ear was okay (no issues) he recommended the Divino (which I upgraded to the BP100 when it came out).  We also discussed what I'd do if or when the hearing in my "good" ear became diminished (most likely with age) and decided that at that point upgrading to a stronger processor (Intenso at the time; now the BP110) would be the solution.

Just a thought,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 12:47:43 pm »
Last time I was tested and had my BAHA adjusted, my BP100 was set at its maximum amplification. They said a BP110 was in my future. I am aware a 110 is more powerful, but I also want to hear those sounds that my good ear is missing, other than just through my BAHA. In other words, I want my good ear to hear with some amplification. I believe Darlene has a BP110 and she likes it...maybe she might jump into this post.

James

nftwoed

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 11:48:44 am »
Hi James;

I favor the Bi-Cros over a BAHA and HA.  Re, running max power through the BP100, there's something about electronic circuitry not working so well if overclocked. Seems maybe that would be the case also with the BP110.
  Guess you can always try the Bi Cros on a 60 day return. I think they just charge a nominal core charge.