Author Topic: Extracuricular activity  (Read 1954 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Extracuricular activity
« on: July 12, 2012, 02:33:41 pm »
To Everyone:

Get out there and do something for your own enjoyment! It's summertime for Pete's sake! Go to a ball game get out of those I'm going to analyze this and not let this get the better of me blues. Enjoy time with your family.....read a book, go to a movie your journey will wait a bit.....Recharge yourself. Go to a baseball game or a WNBA game. Go to the beach....someplace that you don't have to think about your AN......and relax.....

You will be so glad you did, believe me, Sunday I attended a WNBA game. It was so good not to talk about my journey, I loved it!

After the game I got to see guys play basketball in specially adapted wheelchairs and then I realized how fortunate we are......

It was a very humbling experience....

I thought, there but for the grace of God go I.....

Get out and experience life.....there is a such a thing as doing too much research....

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Extracuricular activity
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 03:36:10 pm »
Mike ~

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll add my own suggestion for helping to deal with your AN, especially for those contemplating surgery or radiation.  Volunteer at a soup kitchen, rest home or other 'charity' venue where you can help those less fortunate and in the process, take your focus off yourself for a bit.  You can volunteer through your church, civic organization or simply stop into a 'charity' agency.  Some folks might find working at a Humane Society (or other) animal adoption agency for a few hours a week would be very emotionally rewarding.  Teaching  reading skills to inner-city children or those for whom English is a second language might be more to your liking.  The possibilities are endless.  Whatever one chooses, taking your attention away from your AN and whatever concerns you may have will very likely be beneficial and rewarding in ways you can't imagine.  It doesn't have to be a long-term commitment but you may find that you want to make it one. 

However, making the time to enjoy a ball game, play, movie or perhaps a boat ride can also be helpful to regaining a bit of perspective when one feels overwhelmed by the intricacies of dealing with an acoustic neuroma and how to address it.  There are as many possibilities as there are AN patients but I suggest that finding something other than your tumor to think about for awhile is definitely good for one's mental health.   

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.