Author Topic: Lymph Drainage Massage  (Read 3210 times)

Stephanie

Lymph Drainage Massage
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:11:18 pm »
Hi Everyone,

18 months post op I was still having headaches and swelling around my surgical site. I drive through a very small mountain to get to work and the change in elevation would cause swelling which would in turn cause headaches. I also get headaches from stress and working at a desk all day.

My Otolaryologist sent me for facial therapy but when the therapist wasn't quite sure what to do with me she started a lymph drainage massage on my head and neck. I cannot believe how much this helped. You can barely feel it and it's goal is to get any liquid that is harboring and causing swelling to drain from your body (The liquid has to go somewhere so a side effect is frequent urination). For the first time in 18 months I had no pain!!! All from a massage I could barely feel.

I was able to get 18 visits authorized and went a few to a couple times a week. Unfortunately my referal ran out so I haven't been able to go for about a month and 1/2 now but if you have  consistent swelling and pain, you should try it.  The swelling even went down to a point to where pressure was relieved from my nerve and I started getting new facial twitches.
AN 3 cm left side (1.7 cm @ diagnosis 5 mo. prior - MRI didn't show all)  Surgical removal 7/12/10, CSF leak - surgical repair 7/26/10

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Lymph Drainage Massage
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 12:16:28 pm »
Hi, Stephanie ~

Thanks for this very helpful update/advice on your experience with lymph drainage massage.  I had never read/heard of this treatment for headaches and appreciate your sharing the information here where I know it will be welcomed.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.