Author Topic: Anyone have T3 surgery in the southeast?  (Read 4799 times)

Brewers7

Anyone have T3 surgery in the southeast?
« on: June 26, 2012, 02:23:57 pm »
I am looking for a referral.  I live near Memphis.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Anyone have T3 surgery in the southeast?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 04:14:31 pm »
Hi you! Sorry this is still going on. As you probably know, Kay & I went to Dr. Patrick Byrne at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. He is one of the pioneers of the T3, & has done alot of them by this time - I was one of his first 20 patients. He is exceptional. He is my one and only referral! Check out his website - I'm the 2nd person in his before/after photos for facial reanimation(I've got on a striped turtleneck shirt). Always good thoughts, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Brewers7

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:26:21 pm »
Thanks Nancy.  I have been told that I am not a candidate for the 7/12 prcedure because I have a little movement.  I have not seen anyone who does the T3.  Your pictures are so amazing. 
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 12:48:05 pm »
He gave me back my face, I am forever grateful to him. Thanks for the compliment - quite a difference with the before/after.  Give him a call, see what he thinks is best for you.
Always good thoughts, Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 02:17:42 pm »
I LOVE THAT MAN!!!!!  Not only is he a great surgeon...he is just a great person!  He called me the night before surgery "just to make sure I didn't have any last minute questions and to tell me to get a good night's sleep - he was going to take care of me!"  Awesome!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 02:47:47 pm »
Hey Kay: I'm jealous - he didn't call me the night before! lol!!
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 05:47:37 am »
Nancy-
I really think it was because it was all such a whirlwind thing (as most things in my life!) - I had the consultation one day & surgery just over a week later! I wanted to get it done before my kids got out of school and I would have to care for them 24/7 & all the crazy end of school activities in May. Of course, as we both know, that was all MAJORLY mixed up because of all my VERY UNCOMMON complications!! However, we persevered and I am SO glad I did it - complications & all!  ;)

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brewers7

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 12:41:26 pm »
Kay,
Tell me about the complications.  You can PM if you want.  I survived nearly every complication imaginable with my AN, so don't worry about it.  I just want to be informed.  Of course, I don't even know if I am a candidate yet.  Susan
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:01:15 am by Brewers7 »

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 09:47:26 am »
Susan~
I got a "deep tissue fluid buildup" (which is very rare - not unheard of, but rare) - Dr Byrne diagnosed it over the phone immediately - of course, it started AFTER I returned to Texas from Baltimore.  HOWEVER, since I had gone "away" to have surgery done, no one in Amarillo would touch me - it was like I had shunned the Dr's there to go to JH but it was the only place in the world doing this surgery at the time.  I finally got my internists involved and then because he got sick, was able to get into the BEST internist in Amarillo (who I had gone to school with & we had girls the same ages) who was willing to call Dr Byrne - but a nurse answered his phone as he was in surgery and never gave him the message (I had his personal cell number) - he wondered about the call on the log but it was not my number or a number he was familiar with.  The internists put me in the hospital and turned me over to the infectious disease Dr - they did a CT and took a culture - took 3 in all - NOTHING ever grew because there was NO INFECTION but I had a PICC line for a month.  FINALLY, I came to Houston to see one of Dr Byrne's friends/colleagues (I was willing to go back to Baltimore but it was faster/easier to get in & out of Houston) - he opened a couple of places back up on my face and I had to pack w/ saline gauze twice a day for a few weeks...home health care came & did that...no stitches - it had to heal from the inside out so I had a bandage for quite a while.  Again, this is NOT the norm - my body just does weird things!!  AND it wouldn't have been nearly as traumatic if someone would have done what Dr Byrne said to begin with - it was really just a big series of unfortunate events!  All is well that ends well, though and I could not be happier with the results!!

K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!