Author Topic: 1st Follow-up tomorrow  (Read 4289 times)

SGBlons

• Living with uncertainty and great joy!
1st Follow-up tomorrow
« on: June 07, 2012, 01:07:24 pm »
I travel to the Mayo Clinic tomorrow for my 1st 6-mo follow-up MRI.  Feeling pretty calm, staying in the present moment.  I'll get the results before I leave in the afternoon, which is great.  My symptoms of hearing loss and tinitus have not worsened since my diagnosis in Dec 2011.  Nor have any new symptoms appeared.  I'm imaging that my tumor is just sitting there, doing nothing.  I'll soon know.  Sending my thoughts to everyone else who is about to get an update on their status or who is headed for a consultation soon. 
5-7mm AN L; diagnosed 12/9/11
As of June 2014 now 9mm
Still W&W

Lou

Re: 1st Follow-up tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 03:22:42 pm »
Good luck with your follow up. Congratulations on being so calm. I like you am about to have my first follow up appt. I have had my MRI, an excruciating 2 hour exam, was not fun... but you know that. I am just waiting for the follow up appt. Good luck, keep us posted and hope you get the results you are hoping for
''The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be''

Bilateral facial nerve neuromas
8mm left side and 7mm right side. diagnosed late 2011.Watch and Wait Staus -  Currently at
the mercy of the English NHS system

SGBlons

• Living with uncertainty and great joy!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 07:43:50 pm »
Back from Mayo and my results were good.  My MRI showed no growth whatsoever.  So I remain wait and watch and return in a year for another MRI.  In my favor for minimal or no growth in the future is my age, 69, and the size of my AN, roughly 5mm X 7mm. 

My hearing loss and tinitus have not worsened.  I do expect to lose more hearing as time goes on.  So be it.  I'm finding that the tinitus is bothering me less and less.  I think I just ignore it much of the time.  Maybe getting my hearing aid has also helped with more sound coming in to mask the tinitus.

As long as things stay as they are, I'm perfectly OK living with this tumor in my head without treating or removing it.  That's quite a shift from the fear that gripped me in the first few weeks after my diagnosis.  Information and support made all the difference.  Thanks ANA!
5-7mm AN L; diagnosed 12/9/11
As of June 2014 now 9mm
Still W&W

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 09:27:59 pm »
Congratulations on the good results!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 08:08:52 am »
Back from Mayo and my results were good.  My MRI showed no growth whatsoever.  So I remain wait and watch and return in a year for another MRI.  In my favor for minimal or no growth in the future is my age, 69, and the size of my AN, roughly 5mm X 7mm. 

My hearing loss and tinitus have not worsened.  I do expect to lose more hearing as time goes on.  So be it.  I'm finding that the tinitus is bothering me less and less.  I think I just ignore it much of the time.  Maybe getting my hearing aid has also helped with more sound coming in to mask the tinitus.

As long as things stay as they are, I'm perfectly OK living with this tumor in my head without treating or removing it.  That's quite a shift from the fear that gripped me in the first few weeks after my diagnosis.  Information and support made all the difference.  Thanks ANA!

Your choice of W & W is a good one I have 3mm left behind so that is the category I am now in but mine was originally 1 cm and had surgery which now thinking back and with my age I should have waited.  I now know several people who have a 1 cm and in the W & W and they are doing fine and no growth after numerous years. I also agree that the hearing aid helps distract with the tinnitus that is harder to live with then the AN I now have discovered...

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 12:47:05 pm »
SG ~

Congratulations on your 'no change' MRI report!  May they all be like that.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lou

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 01:44:43 pm »
Wonderful news
Lou x
''The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be''

Bilateral facial nerve neuromas
8mm left side and 7mm right side. diagnosed late 2011.Watch and Wait Staus -  Currently at
the mercy of the English NHS system