Author Topic: Wireless Access at Seton Hall?  (Read 4300 times)

LizAN

Wireless Access at Seton Hall?
« on: May 28, 2012, 04:22:30 pm »
Is there wireless access at Seton Hall?  If not, what about the hospital?  Is there a hot spot anywhere nearby?

Thanks,
Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Wireless Access at Seton Hall?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 09:29:03 pm »
Yes there is, the router is in the break room, so the further away from that the weaker the signal. I had the room right directly across from the breakroom so I had no issues. I am not sure about the hospital, if they have it or not. Truth be told I was in no mood or shape to deal with computers during that time! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

LizAN

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 09:59:05 pm »
Thanks, Jay.  Good to know.

I doubt I will want to be on the computer either, but my partner will want to keep folks informed, and that will be the easiest way to do it.

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 06:26:59 am »
A year ago there were two old computers in the Breakfast Room that my husband and I used when needed because the internet connection was a bit spotty while we were there.  The Wi-Fi was iffy, but the Internet on the computers worked fine.  Supposedly they were working on it then so hopefully they have upgraded/fixed that by now.

I used my iPhone in the hospital, but I may have been on 3G not wi-fi ...... don't remember now.   :D

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 09:58:08 am »
Liz,

Hello. I was at Seton the first week of May and stayed three rooms down the hall from the break room. We had a pretty good connection in our room. Of course, I didn't care much about the Internet, but my friend did use it. Looking back, I brought several things with me to keep busy; a book, laptop, cards, etc. Can you guess how many of those things I used?

Funny story. My friend used to get on Skype, in our room, and talk to his wife and his dog every night. I think he talked to his dog longer and definitely much louder. After a few nights of that, I was really wishing we didn't have a connection in our room.

Anyway, good luck with everything. I was actually getting ready to send the magic scarf to someone having surgery around the same time. I hope you get a chance to see the scarf.

Take care,

Dave
Diagnosed 11/23/2011, R-AN, 3.0cm, Age: 51, very
athletic, symptoms; Sudden hearing loss R Ear, balance
 issues, fatigue, tinnitus. Surgery HEI, 04/27/2012, Dr.
Friedman & Swartz. Post op, translab, 100% tumor removal,
Facial nerve intact, no balance issues, released 3 days post op,
Doing grea

LizAN

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 10:41:26 am »
I probably won't have much use for my laptop and am not planning to bring it.  My partner needs to be able to communicate with people about how I'm doing, and she will have her laptop with her to do some writing for her own project.

That's funny about your friend talking to his dog on Skype, Dave.  I have to admit, I will miss my dog terribly.  He will be in a boarding kennel with no access to the internet.    ;)

Are you sending the scarf to Lisa?  I think she shows up in LA a couple of days before I will be leaving, but I'm not sure whether she will be coming directly to Seton.  Her surgery is four days after I leave.

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

It is what it is

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 07:29:59 pm »
Those of us who are following your journey are glad your partner is willing to post updates on your progress Liz.  It is great you will be able to connect with Lisa while you are there.  I will miss seeing her by a day, as my husband and I arrive at Seton on July 29th. 

karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

miller

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 08:14:21 am »
Liz,

It looks like you and I will be there at the same time.  My surgery is scheduled for 7/12.  I was wanting to know about internet also.

Cheryl
6/1/12 Diagnosed AN 3cm x3.1cmx3.2cm
Hearing Loss, Mild Tinnitus
Translab HEI 7/12/12 Wilkinson Schwartz
SSD, No facial paralysis, Tinnitus

miller

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 08:15:55 am »
Liz,

I just realized that tomorrow is the third!  I will be thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers!!

Cheryl
6/1/12 Diagnosed AN 3cm x3.1cmx3.2cm
Hearing Loss, Mild Tinnitus
Translab HEI 7/12/12 Wilkinson Schwartz
SSD, No facial paralysis, Tinnitus

It is what it is

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 08:32:00 am »
And I will join Cheryl in keeping you in my thoughts and prayers all day tomorrow.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 10:28:47 am »
I used my laptop when I was at Seton. We Skyped everyday with our kids and the connection was ok. I have to say its not the best but it did work.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012