Author Topic: tinnitus and eye movement  (Read 29690 times)

JW123

tinnitus and eye movement
« on: May 27, 2012, 08:43:46 am »
I have a constant static tinnitus noise as I am sure a lot of you have too. I noticed the pitch of the noise changes with my eye movements. This sounds weird but if I move my eyes back and forth different sounds/pitches are in my head. It is like someone hits a tuning fork as I move my eyes. Anyone else get or notice this.

And I am really sorry if after reading this you do notice it and didn't before. It is quite annoying.

-Joe
Left side VS - 2.0 x 2.7
Retrosigmoid on Oct 17th 2011
Surgery at Mayo Clinic with Dr. Link & Dr. Driscoll
SSD left side, delayed temporary facial weakness, ongoing severe headaches.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
Re: tinnitus and eye movement
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 02:45:31 am »
I get this too, not sure why.   I feel many times like moving my eyes that they are attached to a volume knob.  With the eye movement the volume seems to go up when I move my eyes, then back down when in my normal current tinnitus sound.  I find it rather annoying.
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 08:16:13 am »
it is called gaze evoked tinnitus.     Supposedly not too common in the mention of it when I googled it and read what drs wrote about it.     Here and on FB have seen several talk about it so more common than drs think.              Add it to the list of AN annoyances post op!
                                                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 10:29:04 am »
I have it as well...move eyes to left or right and tinnitus is there.  Otherwise no tinnitus at all
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

sunfish

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 07:22:14 am »
Maybe not so much when I move my eyes, but when I turn my head and neck around my left shoulder.  Like looking over my left shoulder driving, turning my head swimming, etc.  Peculiar noise/sensation together.  I had it before treatment too, for a couple months.  It's much, much better two years post-CK
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 08:35:23 am »
I have it too. I can change the pitch of my tinnitus by moving my eyes left or right. I mentioned this to my opthalmologist and my neurologist and they both looked at me like I had corn growing out of my ears. Apparently, this isn't well-known but studies are being conducted on this phenomena:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2633109/

I have a constant static tinnitus noise as I am sure a lot of you have too. I noticed the pitch of the noise changes with my eye movements. This sounds weird but if I move my eyes back and forth different sounds/pitches are in my head. It is like someone hits a tuning fork as I move my eyes. Anyone else get or notice this.

And I am really sorry if after reading this you do notice it and didn't before. It is quite annoying.

-Joe
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:02:10 am »
Same, same! Happens with my eyes open or closed.

JW123

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 08:02:12 am »
It does seem that it might be more common than a lot of the literature indicates. It is definitely with eye movement and headmovement too (eyes open or closed), for me at least. After reading some of the above posted links (good links by the way, thanks) I tested out different movements. I can hear frequency change with Jaw movement too. 

I would say its at least doubles in intensity when I move my eyes or head to the far left or the far right.

On a side, but related note. Theres this other weird thing with my tinnitus. When ever its really quiet, such as when going to sleep, and there is a quick small sound in the room like a pop or crack from the house the sounds shoots thought my head. Its almost like I can feel it intensify in my head real quick and then gone. Its really hard to explain. I will try to think of some more descriptive adjectives to better explain it tonight as it happens.
Left side VS - 2.0 x 2.7
Retrosigmoid on Oct 17th 2011
Surgery at Mayo Clinic with Dr. Link & Dr. Driscoll
SSD left side, delayed temporary facial weakness, ongoing severe headaches.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 01:42:42 pm »
I started using a sound generator at night...ocean waves...and it is very helpful.

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 08:50:23 am »
I have this also. Mine started right after I had my AN surgery in August 2010. After the surgery the ringing turned into a buzzing and then when I move my eyes the buzzing goes away and the ringing returns.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 10:31:53 am »
It does seem that it might be more common than a lot of the literature indicates. It is definitely with eye movement and headmovement too (eyes open or closed), for me at least. After reading some of the above posted links (good links by the way, thanks) I tested out different movements. I can hear frequency change with Jaw movement too. 

I would say its at least doubles in intensity when I move my eyes or head to the far left or the far right.

On a side, but related note. Theres this other weird thing with my tinnitus. When ever its really quiet, such as when going to sleep, and there is a quick small sound in the room like a pop or crack from the house the sounds shoots thought my head. Its almost like I can feel it intensify in my head real quick and then gone. Its really hard to explain. I will try to think of some more descriptive adjectives to better explain it tonight as it happens.

Could what you're describing be Exploding Head Syndrome? One's head doesn't literally explode but the syndrome is described as a loud crash or bang that happens usually when the person is drifting off to sleep. The person thinks the sound came from somewhere else in the house but it's actually in the head. Has happened to me for years as an adult. Not often, but definitely pre-AN diagnosis. These links describe it much better:

http://www.sleepassociation.org/index.php?p=explodingheadsyndrome

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/02/17/4380024-loud-crash-at-3-am-it-may-be-your-exploding-head?lite

Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

chance1212

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 08:44:25 pm »
Me too. Didn't know it until I read this. Was just sitting thinking about how loud the noise was today. My tinnitus is constant but not consistant in what noises I hear. For instance today it sounds like a loud summer evening full of insect sounds. But i moved my eyes and it changes...so odd.
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt

ablotz

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 10:57:19 am »
The sound of my tinnitus is higher when I blink or move my eyes. Found this on line, "A very small number of people can modulate tinnitus by movements of their eyes.  This is known as gaze-evoked tinnitus." This is an article on Somatic Tinnitus. https://www.tinnitusformula.com/library/somatic-tinnitus/   

I also found this...     Head, Neck, and Eye Movements That Modulate Tinnitus https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2633109/

I am glad I found this info and I am also glad I am not the only one.

24/7 7/52 52/20years since removal of acoustic neuroma

MarlaB

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 09:20:36 pm »
Yep. Me too!!