Author Topic: 6mm AN Surgery Scheduled July 12th;Middle Fossa with Dr. Mickey & Dr. Kutz  (Read 12256 times)

nandallas

• 7 years post-op
Hello AN Family. My little story goes something like this. Had a scary vertigo episode driving down interstate 20 in Dallas December 2011. Had MRI January which revealed small mass on the right side; referred to Neurosurgeon who then ordered another MRI 1mm thin slices and confirmed AN about 5x8x4 mm. Hearing tests showed my hearing is good. Went for 2nd opinion/consult with Dr. Kutz, did another MRI & confirmed that the AN is about the same size and again, hearing still good. Have some vertigo still. Did alot of research and received information about AN from ANA. See lots of praise for House Clinic but that may not be best for my family situation. So we are seeking the Lord in all of this as to which doctor we want to perform the surgery. I feel good about Dr. Mickey and Dr. Kutz. Taking care of my dad who has Vascular Dementia, have 3 teens and a supportive husband and my mother has been battling some recent health issues herself. So, I'm thinking, school is almost out, what better time to have surgery then when school is out. That way I can recover and the kids can help out. I asked all the right questions of the doctor and want to know if anyone out there has used Dr. Mickey and Dr. Kutz.  Thanks a bunch!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:34:43 pm by nandallas »
6mm AN right side,Diagnosed January 2012, Middle Fossa performed at UT Southwestern by Otolaryngologist Dr. Walter Kutz & Neurosurgeon Dr. Mickey & it was a success! By Gods grace & mercy in Yeshua's name(Jesus). Most hearing preserved.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Hi, Nan ~

Welcome to our little corner of the internet.  You seem to have things fairly well in hand and because I'm a long way from Texas, I can't offer any opinions on the doctors you're considering - but I'm sure other Texans can and will.  Keep checking back here to find out.  Meanwhile, thanks for posting and be assured that you'll be in the thoughts and prayers of many as you continue this journey no one wants to take. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tx-anp

Dr. Kutz and Dr. Madden did my surgery at UT Southwestern 10 weeks ago.  I had a great experience (well, as great as brain surgery could be!).   Everything went exactly as planned.  No surprises and no complications.    :)

Let me know if you have any questions. 

2cm left side AN
Translab on 3/1/2012
No facial nerve damage, SSD

LizAN

Hello AN Family. My little story goes something like this. Had a scary vertigo episode driving down interstate 20 in Dallas December 2011. Had MRI January which revealed small mass on the right side; referred to Neurosurgeon who then ordered another MRI 1mm thin slices and confirmed AN about 5x8x4 mm. Hearing tests showed my hearing is good. Went for 2nd opinion/consult with Dr. Kutz, did another MRI & confirmed that the AN is about the same size and again, hearing still good. Have some vertigo still. Did alot of research and received information about AN from ANA. See lots of praise for House Clinic but that may not be best for my family situation. So we are seeking the Lord in all of this as to which doctor we want to perform the surgery. I feel good about Dr. Mickey and Dr. Kutz. Taking care of my dad who has Vascular Dementia, have 3 teens and a supportive husband and my mother has been battling some recent health issues herself. So, I'm thinking, school is almost out, what better time to have surgery then when school is out. That way I can recover and the kids can help out. I asked all the right questions of the doctor and want to know if anyone out there has used Dr. Mickey and Dr. Kutz.  Thanks a bunch!

Hi, nandallas,

I'm in Austin and currently figuring out my options.  I'm in a similar situation - want to go to House but don't know that we can afford the trip and it necessitates finding care for kids and animals for a longer duration.  Keep us posted on your decision process.

Didn't Dr. Kutz do his fellowship at House?  How many ANs has he done?  Which surgical approach did he recommend in your case?

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

LizAN

Hi, nandallas,

I'm in Austin and currently figuring out my options.  I'm in a similar situation - want to go to House but don't know that we can afford the trip and it necessitates finding care for kids and animals for a longer duration.  Keep us posted on your decision process.

Didn't Dr. Kutz do his fellowship at House?  How many ANs has he done?  Which surgical approach did he recommend in your case?

Liz

Oh, duh, I see Middle Fossa in the subject...
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

LizAN

Dr. Kutz and Dr. Madden did my surgery at UT Southwestern 10 weeks ago.  I had a great experience (well, as great as brain surgery could be!).   Everything went exactly as planned.  No surprises and no complications.    :)

Let me know if you have any questions.

tx-anp,

Did you have Middle Fossa?

I'm looking into translab, as I have a moderate to severe hearing loss and I'm more concerned about brain retraction and post-op headaches than hearing loss.  A year and a half ago, I was a good candidate for Middle Fossa, but my tumor grew quickly, and now it doesn't make sense.

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

jugee

Hi, with the size and symptoms you are sharing, I am curious why you would consider surgery (or any treatment) at this time.  It seems you have a long time to wait and watch.  Just wondering, not suggesting anything to you.  My wife's is larger than yours, and House doctor still says wait and watch and now since she has no growth in the past 6 months, we are going to take their advice.
Thanks, Gary :)

nandallas

• 7 years post-op
Thanks for all your replys. to TX-ANP, good to know you have gone through it with same doctor I am considering, Mickey. What was your recovery time and what about your hearing?
for LizAN- yes Dr. Kutz did his fellow @ House. He recommended Middle Fossa. He is experienced in this approach. I have to locate my notes on how many he has done middle fossa. Dr. Mickey has done hundreds of AN removals. Mostly Translab due to size of most patients he has seen. But like mine, so small, most by the time you find out the AN is medium to large size.
For Jugee-the reason why we are leaning toward surgery is a couple of reasons but mostly because the smaller the tumor, the less complications for removal and side effects, although nothing is 100%. the bigger, the more difficult and comes with more chance at affecting your hearing not to mention other things. I would rather have it out while it is small rather than waiting for a while and getting MRI's every 6 months or so.
6mm AN right side,Diagnosed January 2012, Middle Fossa performed at UT Southwestern by Otolaryngologist Dr. Walter Kutz & Neurosurgeon Dr. Mickey & it was a success! By Gods grace & mercy in Yeshua's name(Jesus). Most hearing preserved.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Hello Nan, and welcome! I just wanted to say good luck!! I had Middle Fossa @ house..and was mostly awarded with preserved hearing, although now it's not too great but at least I have some.  Let us know how things go!! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

LizAN

Thanks for all your replys. to TX-ANP, good to know you have gone through it with same doctor I am considering, Mickey. What was your recovery time and what about your hearing?
for LizAN- yes Dr. Kutz did his fellow @ House. He recommended Middle Fossa. He is experienced in this approach. I have to locate my notes on how many he has done middle fossa. Dr. Mickey has done hundreds of AN removals. Mostly Translab due to size of most patients he has seen. But like mine, so small, most by the time you find out the AN is medium to large size.
For Jugee-the reason why we are leaning toward surgery is a couple of reasons but mostly because the smaller the tumor, the less complications for removal and side effects, although nothing is 100%. the bigger, the more difficult and comes with more chance at affecting your hearing not to mention other things. I would rather have it out while it is small rather than waiting for a while and getting MRI's every 6 months or so.

I was in watch and wait, with a possible middle fossa in my future.  Over a year's time, between my second and third MRIs, I lost all speech recognition in the AN ear.  If hearing preservation is important to you, then sooner is better than later.

At this point, I'm starting to have ocassional facial nerve issues.  Even though my tumor is still considered small at 12mm, it's deep in the IAC, growing quickly, and having a lot of impact.  I will be having surgery this summer, as it's a convenient time for my partner, and Dr. Slattery advised us not to wait a year until next summer rolls around.  Since there isn't much hearing left to be preserved, it will be translab.  I can hear out of that ear, I just can't understand what I'm hearing, if it's speech.
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

tx-anp

I had translab surgery on March 3rd.  Surgery on Thursday and was home by Monday.  Up and walking around in a couple days.  Went back to work full-time one month after surgery.  I'm doing everything I did prior to surgery.  Only difference is the 100% hearing loss in my left ear, which I'm getting used to.    No headaches, no vertigo and no facial issues.  Life is good!  Thank you Dr. Kutz and Dr. Madden!! 
2cm left side AN
Translab on 3/1/2012
No facial nerve damage, SSD

LizAN

I had translab surgery on March 3rd.  Surgery on Thursday and was home by Monday.  Up and walking around in a couple days.  Went back to work full-time one month after surgery.  I'm doing everything I did prior to surgery.  Only difference is the 100% hearing loss in my left ear, which I'm getting used to.    No headaches, no vertigo and no facial issues.  Life is good!  Thank you Dr. Kutz and Dr. Madden!!

Sounds like you had a great team.  You are doing very well.  I hope I am as fortunate.
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

nandallas

• 7 years post-op
Hello AN Family. We have decided to  move forward with surgery. It is scheduled on July 12th at UT Southwestern with Dr. Kutz and Dr. Mickey. I am ready to get this thing out of my head. Hearing is still good. Some vertigo still. Will check back in the day before.
Thanks for all the encouraging replies.
Nicole

BlueSky

Good luck with your surgery and recovery!!

It is what it is

My thoughts and prayers are with you before, during and after your surgery.   :) 
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.