Author Topic: anyone else?  (Read 3547 times)

wife4life

• well, it could have been worse!
anyone else?
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:35:55 am »
Ok, i have a question- i will try my best to describe.  it has been almost 6 years since my surgery.  i have total left sided facial paralysis, totally deaf in left ear and dry eye.  About 6 months or so ago my eye started getting a random tear every now and then, and believe me I was so happy.  It hadn't teared up at all during this whole time.  Now, about a month or so ago i can feel this weird sensation in my upper cheek bone. I can't really describe it I just know i have never felt anything there before.  It doesn't hurt, just more like a dull aching feeling that comes and goes through out the day.  I am a very paranoid person and the first thing that came to my mind was that the neuroma was back and grew large again and now i can feel it messing with my face. My husband on the other hand thinks maybe after all this time things are starting to work again.  Has anyone else had this happen or can help me and put my mind at ease?
thanks!
3cm leftsided an
surgery scheduled 6-29-06
charlotte nc
**complete resection of tumor, total left side facial paralysis,total hearing loss**

Kaybo

Re: anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 10:32:41 am »
HI!

I am 16 years out and never had any tearing at all and then on the 16th ANniversay of the surgery (to the day), my eye started tearing...then it got out of control.  We have moved cities, so even though I knew what Dr I needed, I had to work my way thru the channels to get to her.  There's really no justifying the tears she said (even tho my reg eye Dr had given me steriods & I believe that had something to do with it) but unforunately, my eye stil doesn't blink so they are really just wasted.  I did have another gold weight inserted so overall, it's better again right now - I can use drops in the day instead of Refresh PM 24/7.  I had the T3 in 2008 and last year started having some "feelings" (hard to describe since I have no feeling in that side!) - I can actually move my face a bit now without clenching down - what the surgery was to allow.  I'm choosing to believe that it is a small miracle - I've said all along that God could heal me this instant if He chose to, He just has other plans for me with all of this!! I am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic and really, after 16 years, I'm just happy with whatever I can get!  ;D

Happy Healing!
;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

OTO

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 09:47:33 pm »
My surgery was in May 2007.  Facial nerve okay but "stressed" a little bit.  My eye and smile are okay, but nothing feels exactly the same as before.   Every once in awhile (especially when eating), my eye will start tearing.   I mentioned it to my eye doctor and he said nothing was wrong and post-op MRI (two since the operation) show no re-growth. 

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 05:05:53 pm »
Hi there: I also have total facial paralysis, but mine is rightsided. I never had the feelings you're descibing, except I always had such awful tearing that I had a Jones tube inserted in the inside of my eye to drain the tears.
So, maybe your husband is right re: the achy feeling b/c that's something I've never had. Always good thoughts, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

spgreenfield

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 05:02:30 pm »
Wife4life - My acupuncturist says that the first sensation to return with nerves is pain.  My face recovered very well on its own, but FEELING is slow in coming back.  Every now and then I realize that it doesn't feel stiff or swollen.  Most of the time I feel as though I have a wad of cotton stuffed inside the left side of my mouth but it's getting better.  If I take a vibrating massager and run it up the back of my head above the surgical site sometimes the tingling sensation feels like my head is going to pop off!  I massage anything that feels stiff or hurts - massaging gently mostly but often.  I'm forever massaging my left eyelid where the tears are supposedly made - in hopes of tears returning as mine are mostly gone.  I vote that the pain is the return and reawakening of sensation in that part of your face!
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12