Author Topic: Just sayin', it can continue to improve  (Read 4755 times)

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Just sayin', it can continue to improve
« on: April 14, 2012, 08:12:19 am »
Hi all, just wanted to post and let folks know things can continue to get better. Admittedly, after the first three months post-surgery, I had very little difficulty, but it did take a while for energy and strength to really return.

I went on our annual trek of the Appalachian Trail this past week with the Venture Crew (older boys) of my scout troop. Despite the fact I was carrying more weight than I really like (I always do though when responsible for the children of other people), I did quite well over the 26 miles we completed. I never lost my balance, even at the end of the day, or in the dark. While we had to bail early with an injured boy and a sick boy, it was a great trip that I was fully able to enjoy.

If one believes the rule of thumb that you need one month of recovery for each hour of general anesthesia, I still have most of year to go to get my strength fully back. (And I will continue to argue that case.  ;D) Even if not, after 32 hours of surgery and 6 weeks of radiation, I feel pretty darn good and am having as pretty great life.

I may even try to stand and fish in my kayak tomorrow.

Life is sweet!

-Tod

Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
Re: Just sayin', it can continue to improve
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 10:39:09 am »
I had never heard about the one month of recovery for every hour of general anesthesia rule. Goodness, I hope that's not the case. I'm having translab done on May 11th and my doctor said it could take anywhere from 7-10 hours. That's over half a year of recovery! Is it just the fatigue though that takes time to go away or things like balance issues and headaches?
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 11:38:49 am »
Tod ~

Your account of your 26-mile hike on the Appalachian Trail made me tired, just reading it.  ;)

Seriously, it seems as if your recovery is sailing right along and things are back to (relative) normal for you.  Your lack of balance issues on the hike, even in darkness, is excellent news.  At this rate you'll be trying out for the Olympics in a few months.  :D

Kudos too, for your work with the Boy Scouts.  That organization does exceptional things for boys and needs men willing to lead, as you do.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tod

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 12:55:07 pm »
Jim, Thanks for your kind words. BSA is a good organization and I have stayed with it now three years after my son has aged out.

Manders, this rule of thumb may just be some doctors' way  of saying "be patient." I don't if it is scientific at all. What I do know is this. Every patient is different. For one person it may be balance, for another fatigue, yet another facial movement. There is no way to know in advance what an individual's journey will be.

However, I do think attitude and activity make tremendous differences. The better you choose your attitude to be, the more active you choose to be, the better, and perhaps quicker, your outcomes may be. (Lots of weasel words there, but I ain't no doctor.)

-Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

lrobie

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 06:26:57 pm »
I feel so jealous reading about your hike.  My son just earned his Arrow of Light through Cub Scouting, however, he doesn't want to continue with Boy Scouts.  He wants to be more involved in sports.  Anyhow, I loved my time spent with him camping, hiking...even climbing the rock wall at camp.   :)  His dad isn't much of a camper, so I was the one involved in his scouting.  I was hoping to make it to the Summit Bechtel Reserve one of these days.  Good for you...hiking 26 miles.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 03:58:53 am »
Thankyou Tod.

All I want to add is to for you not to fall overboard!  ;D ;D ;D

~~ Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Mei Mei

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 07:16:22 am »
Dear Tod,
Ditto about the standing in the Kayak and fishing.     Never knew this could be done but don't doubt any feat done by you.     You remain in my mind to be the gold standard for all of us.
Hugs,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Chances3

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:10:49 am »
Hi Tod,

Thank you for that post.  It's great encouragement for us all who want to get out there and do things that we used to do.  I love to fish, but I am afraid of getting on a boat - someday I will.  I'm feeling well enough to try some golf again, I'm just a weekend hacker, but it would be a great milestone for me. 

Tod

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 01:36:19 pm »
Chances, we are often only limited by our willingness to look or feel "less than skilled" or "normal" in whatever we attempt.  It took me awhile to realize that and then things started getting much easier. Including returning to playing golf.

Life is good, play hard, and fall easy....find a soft spot whenever possible.

-Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 01:39:38 am »
Well put Tod.

Hitting and chasing a little white ball isn't what I call fun but I'm going to test my limits in other ways just to see if I can do them.
Life can be funner (word of the week) or it can be downright boring.  I'll go for fun times as much as possible while you hit and chase that little white ball.  Please do keep us informed at how you go and how you feel after a game?

Cheers,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 11:01:20 am »
Tod, thank you for putting this out there that there is indeed life after AN's.  It has always amazed me that all the things I have done, both simple and complex, comes naturally now, but kind of remembering how I was recovering the first few months after my surgery it was a struggle.  Good job on the hike! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston