Author Topic: Doctor tomorrow and HIGH ANXIETY!  (Read 7376 times)

Kelly718

Doctor tomorrow and HIGH ANXIETY!
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:23:16 am »
Hello everyone, this is actually my second post this week to try and help ease the high anxiety I'm having about my appointment tomorrow for the results of my 5 year post op MRI.  Thanks Jim Scott for your comments to my last post! Anyway, my doctor left a small sheath of tumor on my facial nerve and the MRI I had 2 years ago reported it shrunk. however, my doc will not tell me that it's dieing and its so frustrating! I consider myself a logical person for the most part, so it seems to me if the small piece is reducing in size it would mean it's no longer alive. Maybe I'm wrong?? I am trying to stay hopeful that this time it's at least stable. I would love to see signs of necrosis or more shrinkage! I guess I'm just looking for comments, similar experiences, and opinions on my situation. Tonight I'm sure I won't be sleeping at all! I have two small children, 2 year old and a 3 month old, so this would not be a good time to receive bad news!! I'm already jumping the gun and researching radiation because that's what my doc said I would need if it does grow. The things I'm reading about that are freaking me out even more! Post radiation effects and God Forbid cells turning malignant!! I'm always thinking of the " What If" scenarios and I know this is not good for my mental health or my family's. Please help ease my fears!! I thank you from the bottom of my heart!!
3X3cm AN removed via retrosigmoid, 3/07

Dr. Davis is my hero! :)
A sense of humor goes a long way!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Doctor tomorrow and HIGH ANXIETY!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:33:31 am »
Kelly ~

As you know, I underwent 26 FSR sessions on a previously 'debulked' AN and did just fine.  The radiation stopped the remaining tumor from re-growing (killing it's DNA).  I suffered no post-radiation problems to speak of.  Subsequent MRI scans indicated tumor necrosis and the beginnings of shrinkage. Today, almost 6 years later, I'm doing great!  Remember this if and when you are told that you'll need radiation - and consider FSR.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 03:28:33 pm »
Kelly, I would think that there would have been a small to moderate amt of growth already if there was going to be some since will be 5 yrs.   I know it is a worry but just try to not over think it tonight.    I do not see any reason it ever would be malignant.        Thr dr may not say it is dying until it has been so many MRIs or a certain period of time, or maybe he is one who never calls it dying.        Hang in there and hope for the best.                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kelly718

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 05:33:37 pm »
Thanks Cheryl, that makes sense. I will know soon enough! :-\

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 05:38:34 pm »
Kelly .....

Your anxiety is totally understandable but Jim and Cheryl are so right.  I'm with Cheryl that if your tumor was growing, you surely would have had signs of growth on the previous MRI.

I can really empathize with your anxiety because I did experience regrowth (very, very rare), but I knew from the very first MRI out after my first surgery that something was not right on it.  The doctor was very noncommittal, as most doctors are for, I'm sure,  liability reasons.

Take deep breaths and think positive thoughts tonight.  Many, many prayers for calm for you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Ned

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:37:32 am »
It took 4 years for my tumor to start showing necrosis.  Now, 9 years post FSR it has shrunk to half its original size.  Try to get past the malignant angle, I've never heard of an AN turning malignant.  Things will get better, your anxiety will lessen with time.  Here's hoping for great results.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

Kelly718

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 05:36:27 pm »
I am happy to report that there was no change in the last two years! Which means...I have reached the 5 year post op mark successfully!!! I feel great and my next MRI is in 2 years! I plan to enjoy every minute with my two children! Life is good again!! Thanks soooooo much for the support! :~)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 11:43:14 am »
Congratulations, Kelly!     :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 07:28:14 pm »
I am so thrilled for you and to read this.  I had my surgery 1-25-12, and they left a little piece of the sac.  I have 6 kids at home...and understand the need to be around.  I have had an amazing outcome and praying my  6 mo MRI and all subsequent ones are clear.  Thank you for sharing;)
Stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 03:18:59 am »
Hi Kelly
Firstly a big congrats on the MRI result.

Do you (or anyone else) do anything to celebrate yearly on our anniversaries?

Hugs to all,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 12:24:02 pm »
Congratulations!

Am coming up on my 5th ANniversary also (5/31) and am looking forward to a clean MRI.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kelly718

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 07:42:58 pm »
I always buy myself something nice after a clean MRI! :~) Actually I kind of rely on "retail therapy" while I'm waiting for results! It's dangerous but makes me feel better! :~)
Jan, good luck to you and please let ud know how you make out!

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 11:30:04 pm »
We don't have follow-up MRIs here.  Do you guys have them after a certain procedure only.  Mine was tanslab and they got it all.

I celebrate by getting dressed up and going shopping for a new blouse or outfit or having my hair done.

Cheers,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 09:28:09 am »
I always buy myself something nice after a clean MRI! :~) Actually I kind of rely on "retail therapy" while I'm waiting for results! It's dangerous but makes me feel better! :~)
Jan, good luck to you and please let ud know how you make out!

Hmmmm.... retail therapy I like that surprised I did not think of that..
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Kelly718

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 10:47:59 am »
Suu,
 Most doctors here like to follow up, at least for the first few years after surgery whether they removed all of the tumor or not. Although the chance of regrowth is very low, this allows them to catch it in plenty of time to avoid another surgery and perhaps go for radiation instead. As anxious and scared I get waiting for the results, it's worth my piece of mind to just have them check. I'm sure you could request a follow-up MRI at least once every few years if your insurance covers it. I am not sure of your age but that also plays a factor. I am 31 so if my tumor did regrow, it could possibly get large enough to do damage in my lifetime. If i were older, this wouldn't really be a worry because AN's are so slow growing. I'm sure you will be fine and clean from now on! :~)