Author Topic: HEI Patients - How did you decide on which surgeon to use?  (Read 8151 times)

windy

HEI Patients - How did you decide on which surgeon to use?
« on: February 18, 2012, 04:13:07 pm »
Hi,

I am going to be sending my MRI scans to HEI next week for an opinion regarding my AN. I was wondering how you decided on which HEI doctor you used for surgery, or are planning to use? I notice Dr. Brackmann seemed to be one of the popular "go to" doctors in years past, but now I am seeing a lot of people using Dr. Friedman in the more recent years. I am open to various doctors. If you could provide any information to me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Windy
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: HEI Patients - How did you decide on which surgeon to use?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 05:08:36 pm »
Oh, WOW ..... that's a tough call.  Both doctors are excellent and I would trust either one of them.  Keep in mind that both of them are neurotologists and the attending neurosurgeon (either Schwartz or Lekovic at HEI) does the actual tumor removal.  The neurotologists do the entry and abutments if you are going that route so of course, they are very much involved, as well.

I had Friedman and Schwartz last May, doing translab and an abutment, and I had an excellent result and recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 08:18:08 pm »
Hi Windy. I messaged you this answer. I do hope others chime in to help you. I have to agree with Clarice. All the doctors at House are excellent.

Take Care Windy. If you want to talk you know I'm available.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 10:08:57 pm »
Hi Windy...as an HEI alumn, I did use the Brackmann/Schwartz team two years ago and I wouldn't have it either way. Dr. Brackmann virtually wrote the book on AN surgeries, as he worked along side Dr. House (the founder of HEI) when HEI became into existence and revolutionized stereoscopic aided procedures.  It was because of Dr. Brackmann's reputation, along with his suggestion I go with middle fossa (everyone else I saw recommended trans-lab) that made me choose him.  I don't know how much longer Dr. Brackmann is going to be doing surgeries though...when he did mine he was well into his 70's, but still had the rock steady hands.  So he may not be doing as many surgeries these days as Friedman seems to be taking on the bulk of them (as evidenced from recent postings here on this discussion forum.)  But, you can be rest assured that whomever you do end up with consulting you at House, they will be good!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

windy

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 08:05:13 pm »
Thank you all for your replies! I will post when I hear back from one of the HEI doctors!
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:39:14 pm »
I think they are all amazing as well.  I choose Friedman and Shwartz because of several people I met here on the forum had great stories.  I wanted a great stray too....and I got one as I am 3.5 weeks pot op and doing really great ;)
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

Mei Mei

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 06:53:02 pm »
It is my biggest regret that I didn't go to Dr. Friedman who the nurse referred me to on my initial call.   I at that time hadn't heard of Dr. Brachman.   The one caveat is that Dr. Friedman who I trust completely did the surgery on Capt Deb and she as a result had horrific headaches in spite of the Middle Fossa surgery.   I thought that the Middle Fossa was supposed to prevent headaches but in  Capt Deb's case, they didn't and she has as a result become the head of the headache forum.

Any doctor at HEI would be excellent.   Should you choose CK, go with Dr. Kondziolka in Pittsburgh.

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

windy

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 10:13:51 am »
Mei Mei, I am so sorry to hear about your headaches. You are right that you still may have had them afterwards, if others have though. I have a history of migraines in my earlier years and later suffered a lot with headaches after the first two years post GK. I realized going in that it was a possibility, certainly based on my history. If surgery is in my future, I know it will be a possibility again.

Right now, I am just waiting to hear back from Dr. Friedman. I hope to hear back in the next week or two.

I so hope your headaches will start to ease over time. I know that happened for me post GK. It took a long time, but they are better. You hang in there. Also, I am glad generous people like Capt. Deb are on this forum who can help others through similar situations. Take care!
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 02:51:08 pm »
Mei Mei ~

I suspect that post-op headaches are somewhat situational.  I underwent Retrosigmoid approach surgery - and, having read about post-op headaches fromr this approach, I asked my neurosurgeon about it.  He replied, quite confidently (and he was usually quite modest and polite) "my AN surgical patients don't get headaches". I trusted him and that trust was amply rewarded.  I never suffered from headaches before or after my surgery.  90 days later I underwent 26 FSR treatments.  Again, no headaches.  I believe that Jan B. had the same experience.  Anomaly?   Perhaps.  However, I believe that the doctor's experience (mine had 30 years) and skill (my doctor was a part-time instructor of neurosurgery at nearby Yale Medical School) are viable factors. 

I'm very sorry for your ongoing travails and pray that you can find relief, soon.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

windy

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 06:09:46 pm »
Dr. Friedman called Sunday, but unfortunately I missed his call. He called back again today to let me know he had reviewed all my MRI's since 2008 through 2012. He said he could see very little change since the 2010 enlargement. He said surgery was just not warranted at this time. I am thrilled. He said to send him a copy of my next MRI in July and he will review it then. He told me not to do anything at this point.

I am somewhat confused as to why one neurosurgeon said there was more growth, but he was not worried. Then, I was told by Lunsford that I was in the 2% of failed Gk and needed more treatment after he reviewed my scans and audiograms. Then, when I told him he had listed the last hearing recognition score as the wrong number and to review the last two scans, he apologized and said there had been "no significant interval growth over the last year". He thought maybe it was a possibliby it would stabilize and I would not need further treatment. It has been a chaotic last month with differing opinions! For now, I am just grateful to not have further treatment.

I appreciate Dr. Friedman not rushing me into surgery when he did not think it was warranted at this time. He said if I did have issues in the future then he suggested I use them. He said they were a center of excellence for AN's. I appreciate the time he took to review my scans and the concern he showed when calling.
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 06:17:08 pm »
Windy
That is wonderful news. I know you have been worried. He basically said the same to me not much growth, however I am having issues so that is why we are moving forward. I'm happy to hear that you liked his opinion. Just keep sending him your MRI's and he will give you his opinion. Great news Windy  ;D

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

windy

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 07:48:38 pm »
Mindy,

Thank you for your kind message. I just sent you a PM! I got a phone call in the midst of your message and have just now had a chance to send it to you! THANK YOU for all of your support.

I will be in touch with Dr. Friedman in the future, of course. Now, I'm "wait and watch".

Windy
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009

lrobie

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 10:23:34 am »
That's great news Windy.  I have to share, though, that getting all these differing opinions has probably caused me quite a bit of stress.    I don't know who to believe or who I should place my confidence in.  One thing that I've pretty much decided on is that I will have surgery.  Now, it's time to decide who's going to do it.

Lisa   
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

windy

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 10:50:05 am »
I know Lisa, it can be confusing. It is a stressful process when you are in the midst of decision making. Once you decide, I think you will have more peace. One thing I did, and have just recently done, while trying to make a decision, was to look at many different situations and outcomes on this forum and who they had used as their physician. You can search out the doctor's name in the Search tab and look at past discussions. You can probably also find comments about them through a Google search. I find that quite helpful. Also, I think of it as a one time deal (hopefully) and just want to search out the doctor that has done many AN treatments and is considered "great" in many eyes.

I really liked Dr. Friedman on the phone. That is my extent of contact with him, thus far. I did appreciate him volunteering to look at my MRI in July without me having to ask him. Also, I appreciate him not jumping to me needing surgery. At least he thought my situation over. That says a lot for him.

Good luck to you Lisa, as you make your decision. I wish you the best in your treatment.
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 11:34:34 am »
Lisa
Glad to see your moving forward. Once you find the surgeon that is right for you let us know.

Mindy