Author Topic: Auditory nerve supposedly in tact-how long til I know if it will ever function?  (Read 3713 times)

spgreenfield

A month ago I had the suboccipital surgery for my AN.  I am currently SSD but wondering IF the nerve will heal at all and my hearing come back....I know this is a long shot - but hey - I'm a realist and my surgeon said that he had "signal" all the way until he closed me up....so maybe?  I've been reading about the BAHA and it looks wonderful!  If I'm going to be permanently SSD then I want to give this gadget a try......but as a realist, I wouldn't want to do it too soon.  I know that nerves take a long time to heal and grow back....any thoughts out there?
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
I'm not a doctor and could be mistaken but from what I've read about the hearing nerve, once it's compromised by the AN and rendered non-functioning, hearing does not return post-op.  However, note that I would be pleased to be proven wrong.  :)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

spgreenfield

I would like to prove you wrong!  LOL!  My hearing was perfect until the surgery.  And he performed the suboccipital in order to attempt to preserve the hearing.....so the AN other than being taken out did nothing to my auditory nerve.  It was the surgery and as I said he had signal up until closing.....so it's a mystery!
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

mk

Unfortunately it is not a mystery. This is quite common with suboccipital/retrosigmoid. Even if the nerve itself remains intact, there is a big possibility of the blood supply being cut off  during surgery, thus starving the nerve. As Scott noted, contrary to the motor nerves, sensory nerves do not recover from injury.

Marianna
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:18:39 am by mk »
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Tumbleweed

To add to what Marianna and Jim said, the hearing nerve's anatomical continuity can be totally preserved (physically left intact) during surgery and yet have its function compromised or destroyed. Like other sensory nerves (including the vestibular, or balance, nerve), the hearing nerve is quite sensitive to disturbances of any kind. Surgery is unfortunately invasive and can impact the sensory nerves that are in the area being operated on. I hate to say it, but it seems like the trauma of the surgery has probably irreparably damaged the function of your hearing nerve. There is a very remote chance your hearing might return, but it is highly unlikely.

So sorry,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08