Author Topic: advice in filing  (Read 6089 times)

patbiedermann

• One day at a time...small steps!
advice in filing
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:25:56 pm »
I am due to go back to work after 6 months and have a few questions:

1)  How long should I give myself to see if I can do the Job ????  My job involves knowing a lot of Medicare and Medicaid guidelines.

2)  Will going back affect collecting disability?
Translabyrinthine removal on 6/13/11 for a 3-4 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor (vestibular schwannoma) at University Hospital in Syracuse, NY by Dr. Deshaies and Dr. Woods.  10 1/2  hour surgery.  Got 90-95% of tumor. Hospital stay for 10 days. Inpatient Rehab for 7 days.  doing pretty well.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: advice in filing
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 02:03:09 pm »
I am due to go back to work after 6 months and have a few questions:

1)  How long should I give myself to see if I can do the Job ????  My job involves knowing a lot of Medicare and Medicaid guidelines.

I don't believe there is a time limit but that you'll know, instinctively, whether or not you can perform your job duties.  Probably within a few days.  Do be prepared for fatigue, which is typical for post-op/radiation AN patients returning to work.  The fatigue usually subsides, in time.

[2)  Will going back affect collecting disability?

Should you attempt to return to your old job and find that you can no longer do it, you can take a medical leave and file for Social Security Disability benefits and/or any work-related disability coverage that is available to you.  You'll need a doctor's statement attesting to your inability to work. If you cannot perform your former type of work, you'll likely be asked to consider accepting other types of work within your range of experience. Because the SS application/hearing process can be long and arduous, I suggest you consider hiring an attorney that specializes in SS Disability applications.  They will often take your case on a contingency basis and all you pay are filing fees, etc.  Unfortunately, the time between applying and being awarded an SS disability benefit can take anywhere from weeks to years, usually the latter, so be prepared for whatever financial hardship that may impose.

Of course, the best case scenario is where you return to work - perhaps on a part-time basis, at first - and are able to resume doing what you did, pre-AN.  I hope that is the case and of course, we all join in wishing you the best of luck when you return.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

patbiedermann

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 04:59:47 pm »

thank you, Jim.  Unfortunately, the administrator says I must return fulltime or nothing.  I am in a management position with a very high stress level.  I am very apprehensive about returning but feel I at least have to try.  I have always been very sure of myself before my AN, now I'm not so sure.  I guess I'll find out.
Translabyrinthine removal on 6/13/11 for a 3-4 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor (vestibular schwannoma) at University Hospital in Syracuse, NY by Dr. Deshaies and Dr. Woods.  10 1/2  hour surgery.  Got 90-95% of tumor. Hospital stay for 10 days. Inpatient Rehab for 7 days.  doing pretty well.

Chances3

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 12:20:16 pm »
Hi Pat,

My heart goes out to you because I was in similar circumstances last year, but my employer was incredible thoughtful.  I have a very stressful and challenging job with a lot of responsibilities.  Looking at computer screens were a nightmare for me after surgery and my job requires looking at many screens all day long.  I was awarded long term disability from my firms insurance company, but I wanted to work, I just felt like I needed more time.  My recovery took about 8-10 months and during that time I was able to ease back into a full time position.  I feel bad for you because work is part of your therapy, and like all therapy you need a little each session to build yourself back up again.  If you convince your employer of this.

My suggestions is to stay on disability and ask to come to work a few hours to build yourself up.  You will know in a short time if you are ready to take on the tasks again.  Once you come off of disability it becomes harder to get back on.  What Jim said about Social Security is right on.  If you really have doubts about work, I would also suggest you begin that process because it takes a year.  Most times Social Security will deny the first time, but you have to resubmit and try again.  My wife is on disability, her problems are enormous, but we applied, we were denied, we applied a second time and she was awarded disability from Social Security.  I hope this helps, all I can say is from what I have learned through this site and my own personal experiences.  Recovery is different for every person, and returning to work can be very challenging for some. 

God Bless, and I hope it all works out for the better.

patbiedermann

Re: advice in filing update
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 01:16:47 pm »
I met with the administrator and my immediate supervisor this AM.  While I am going back Full time they have agreed to limit my job duties.  They agreed to ease me into the workflow.  My husband (bless his soul), has agreed to do all the household duties for the first couple of weeks (he is currently on a seasonal layoff).  He will be going back to work anywhere from March to May.  All seems to be going well.  I am going to give it my best shot.  For the record, I never went on disability as I had enough sick time banked to cover 15 weeks and my employer approved full salary until December 31st.  I have been without pay for 1 month.  We are stuggling, but like my husband has said, we've been through a lot worse.  He is such a saint!  I did however get disability papers filled out and FMLA papers.  I have downloaded SSI information for future reference.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 12:54:07 pm »
I applied for social security disability following my surgery, and was approved. I did it on my own. It took six months. It was easy to do. The problem is, you have to be really disabled. I worked on ladders. Not a good idea following AN surgery. I was 61 when I applied. I had a stroke one year prior to my surgery. Social security sends you to their doctors. I had two doctor visits, and one to a psychiatrist. Social security got statements from my AN doctor, my stroke doctor, my speech therapist, and my physical therapist. It did not cost me any money. All you have to do is fill out the paper work. A letter from your doctor will not do you any good. Social security has their forms, and all you do is supply your doctors information. It is out of your hands.

If you are capable of doing some other type of work other than what you do right now, you probably will not be approved. If you are approved, your income will be limited...based on some formula of your previous earnings. IT IS NOT ENOUGH TO LIVE ON!!!!!! You can get a part time job, but cannot earn over $1000 per month. If you go back to work, it should not have any impact on your application. It might even help...if you cannot do the work, then that is some proof that you are disabled...but believe me, it takes a lot more than that to get approved. It is really out of your hands. They really check your facts, and this is what they do for a living.

When you return to work, you will know if you can perform. Stress is part of all jobs, and probably will not be a factor in your application. I don't know when you had your surgery, but recovery is a slow process. Give it some time. I am sure your supervisor will be understanding. I wish you well in your recovery.

James