Author Topic: memory/judgement problems  (Read 13630 times)

TP

Re: memory/judgement problems
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 07:39:26 am »
Regarding recovery and memory loss from an AN I think alot has to do with age, physical endurance, if one is retired or if one is employed and the type of job will have some impact on overall recovery.  In my situation I had three brain surgeries in 2006 as well as mennigitis recovered very well, no headaches and take no medication, went back to work full time in 2.5 months (very demanding job) and back exercising after 3 months. I have permanent facial paralysis and had double vision (that was corrected in 2007).

However, memory loss and the ability to focus was not not something I noticed immediatly. I had my AN removed in 2006 but I noticed a few years later that I have trouble reading for long periods of time, my handwriting which was bad before my sugery is so bad now I can't even read it so I try to limit any handwriting and type everything. Also, when my family talks about movies and situations I find I have no idea what they are talking about. I have basically forgotten many things but I don't realize it unless someone brings something up. I get together with my close childhood friends every other month for bithrday celebrations and of course we talk about the past and I find there are some situations which are greek to me but the flipside I can remember other things in detail. I do believe that my AN has had an impact on my memory and it helps when I don't want to talk about something I just say "I can't recall that it was before my AN" : )

4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Twindy

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 08:18:28 am »
Does type of surgery seem to be correlated with memory loss?  In mid fossa (that's what my dr. preferred method) they move the brain aside and from what I understand, plays a role in the short-term memory loss issues.  There was one method described to me in which they don't touch the brain, thus memory loss is not an issue, but no chance of preserving hearing.  What have you all found in your research and personal experiences?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 03:45:01 pm »
Twindy ~

I underwent Retrosigmoid Approach AN surgery and yes, my neurosurgeon informed me that he did move my cerebellum "just a tiny bit". (his words).  I suffered no noticeable memory loss or other cognitive problems.  Of course, this is anecdotal evidence - but it is factual. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 09:06:11 am »
Does type of surgery seem to be correlated with memory loss?  In mid fossa (that's what my dr. preferred method) they move the brain aside and from what I understand, plays a role in the short-term memory loss issues.  There was one method described to me in which they don't touch the brain, thus memory loss is not an issue, but no chance of preserving hearing.  What have you all found in your research and personal experiences?

Hi Twindy I haven't been on this site as much trying to get back into it to see all the new posts...I had the retrosigmoid approach and yes I feel that I have problems with memory and cognitive skills since the surgery and the doctors are not confirming that...At first I thought it might be from the numerous medications I am taking and now slowly taking myself off of them to see if I get better..It is not that bad but has affected me with working but now if this is where I am going to continue to be I just have to try harder to concentrate and learn to be the new me.. It is great that you are doing a lot of research like you I was told I had an AN and not long after had surgery I did not do my research until afterwards so get all the facts before and just remember not everyone is the same and if these things do happen you have to just retrain yourself and it can be done...Make a conscious effort when driving or writing you just have double check where before it was natural and that is okay you have to keep yourself physically and mentally active...The key is too make sure you have a great team of doctors and that is half the battle and remember we all survive from this and will be here for you ..
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 11:30:26 am »
I have not had any treatment so far, in W&W, but I wonder if the anesthesia has any thing to do with memory loss after any surgery.  I have several friends, one just last week, that had major surgery that have suffered some serious memory problems.  Just a thought.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 11:34:02 am »
I haven't had surgery yet but did have CK and I have to say that I have memory issues.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 11:45:00 am »
Like I said, I've had no treatments but I have memory issues.  Was just at Macy's and when the clerk asked what I wanted I went brain dead.  Very embarrassing but got through it.  I did refrain from saying oh, it must be my brain tumor.  I would suspect in my case it's age, 65, since the tumor is confined to the IAC and no where near the brain.   :-\

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back