Author Topic: Cyber Knife or Gamma Knife Treatment - confused  (Read 13788 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Cyber Knife or Gamma Knife Treatment - confused
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 04:56:29 am »
Thanks TW,phyl,Mark. Did you guys had any balance and facial issues before or after treatment? If you had these symtoms, did it improve after treatment?   Did you have new symtoms like balance issue after treatment? If it is how long you have had this?

I'm only speaking from my own personal experience as we all learn around here... "individual results may vary....."

I only had temp enhanced balance/hearing loss/tinnitus within the first year (3-9 mos) due to edema/swelling of the tumor, which can occur with any form of AN radiation treatment.  Through keeping my radio team updated, they monitored me closely, prescribed steroids (for a couple of weeks) and things calmed down.

5-1/2 yrs later (ie: now), I am what I was pre-treatment, including my hearing levels.  My tumor, like Mark's and TW's, has also slightly shrunk (not "usual" but can occur).

Hope that helps.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lrobie

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 03:34:17 pm »
Hi Recharge,

I'm curious why you would go to Stanford for CK.  At my appointment at UPMC, Dr. Hirsch suggested CK and said that they do it there.  Does anyone know whether UPMC has a good track record with CK?

I'm still confused and haven't made a decision between CK and mid fossa.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

PaulW

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 03:46:39 pm »
I am now 17 months post treatment.
Before treatment my AN was already giving me grief with hearing, balance, "Wonky Head", concentration problems, tiredness, and mild tinnitus.
Almost immediately after treatment all of these things got worse. It was annoying but very tolerable.
About 6 months after treatment, the "Wonky Head/living in a cloud", feeling went away for 30 minutes. A week later it went for a few hours.
Now after 17 months I feel completely normal most of the time. Hearing has improved and is within normal range again.
Overall I am better now than I was pre treatment, except for balance.
However I really should not complain too much about my balance either.
Standing on precarious stools to change light bulbs, snow skiing, cycling, have all been done.
I still feel odd doing those activities, but am very capable of doing everything again.
Most of the issues occurred from 0-9 months. Every month things continue get better.
I am very nearly back to my old me.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 04:31:24 pm »
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm curious about the treatment of AN via CK for a 3.0cm tumor. I am newly diagnosed with AN (Nov 23), and only met with my neurosurgeon once. I have not met with a surgeon for radiation options yet. Just doing research and it looks like I'm right on the border for being a candidate for CK. I won't see the radiation surgeon until Dec 22nd after my contrast MRI. My guess is it's too big at this point, so I'm already leaning towards surgery. But I'm still curious about CK.
Diagnosed 11/23/2011, R-AN, 3.0cm, Age: 51, very
athletic, symptoms; Sudden hearing loss R Ear, balance
 issues, fatigue, tinnitus. Surgery HEI, 04/27/2012, Dr.
Friedman & Swartz. Post op, translab, 100% tumor removal,
Facial nerve intact, no balance issues, released 3 days post op,
Doing grea

Tumbleweed

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 09:37:29 pm »
Thanks TW,phyl,Mark. Did you guys had any balance and facial issues before or after treatment? If you had these symtoms, did it improve after treatment?   Did you have new symtoms like balance issue after treatment? If it is how long you have had this?

I had severe vertigo, disequilibrium (imbalance and "wonky head") and oscillopsia, and sudden hearing loss and tinnitus, at the onset of my symptoms. My vertigo and oscillopsia fairly quickly abated and disappeared (within a couple months). I was misdiagnosed for 7.5 years, during which time my disequilibrium and hearing worsened progressively and I became more fatigued. I did not have (and have not since had) any facial symptoms.

Immediately after CK treatment, the loudness of my tinnitus dropped 90% and has since stayed that subdued; this is a very unusual (and welcome!) result. My balance became about 15 to 20% worse, subjectively, for about 6 months, after which time it steadily began to improve. (According to Dr. Chang, about 25% of CK patients report improvement in their balance over time compared to their function at the time of treatment.) Now 41 months post-treatment, my balance is about 80% recovered and my energy level has pretty much completely recovered. My hearing is roughly 20 to 25 dB worse in my midrange frequencies compared to at the time of treatment but has stabilized in the past year (no further loss); I still have useful hearing in my ear on the AN side.

One thing to keep in mind: Any symptoms you have at the time of treatment may temporarily get worse (possibly for several months to over a year). But it is highly unlikely that symptoms you don't have at the time of treatment will arise after treatment. This according to Dr. Chang.

Davecz: As you know, your tumor size is right on the cusp of being too big for radiation treatment. Radiation often causes the tumor to swell for a few months, and swelling of a tumor already at 3 cm size (pre-treatment) would cause pressure on the brain stem. Also, the brain stem is more likely to receive collateral damage from irradiating a 3cm tumor that is already indenting it. Those are the main reasons I know of that make radiotherapy practitioners leery of treating tumors over 3 cm in size. But if I remember correctly, Staten Island Hospital often treats ANs larger than 3 cm with radiation, so you might ask them for a consultation if you'd like to consider that. And I wouldn't rule out UPMC and Stanford before they review your case. Whether or not to treat a 3cm tumor is determined on a case-by-case basis by each consulting physician; there is no universal cut-off.

Best wishes,
TW

L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 11:07:26 pm »
Thank you Tumbleweed. I figured the swelling issue would be a big concern. Appreciate the helpful information. More food for thought now. I have a feeling my meeting with the radiation surgeon will only be a few minutes. Not sure I have an option of jumping ship to another surgeon since I'm with Kaiser Permanente. I'll look into that. Thanks again.
Doing grea

Mark

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 12:17:42 pm »
Recharge,

I had no balance or facial nerve issues going into CK treatment and did not have any transitory or permanent impacts in those areas afterwards. On a separate post in the pre-treatment section I referenced a new Stanford based CK study which you may want to review. in their results to date, they have not had a permanent facial nerve injury as a result of CK treatment

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

PaulW

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 11:31:07 am »
I think it is important to understand that doctors dont actually use 3.0cm as a cut off.
They actually use the volume of the tumour.
So if your tumour is 3.3 x 2.5 x 2.5 they would do radiation.
I believe around 15cm3 is the volume cutoff which roughly equates to 3.0cm for a spherical tumour

10x5x5mm AN
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days

Tumbleweed

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 08:42:08 pm »
An excellent point, Paul. Thanks for bringing that up.

Best,
TW

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 09:58:40 pm »
Thanks to all for your comments. Paul, I appreciate your information. I hope to finally get the full size of my AN tomorrow. I have two contrast MRIs scheduled tomorrow night. Then I'll have my second appt with my surgeon. Finally knowing the full size will certainly help out. Thanks again everyone.
Doing grea

recharge

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2011, 11:49:02 pm »
I am going for cyberknife treatment to standford medical center with Dr. Stephen Chang On Jan end.

I have a question on driving. Dr told me that i can drive next day after the treatment( after 3 days treatment).

Did you guys drive next day after the treatment ( after 3 days if it's fractionated)?

Did you have any balance issues while driving after the treatment ? If you had , how did you prevent it or is there anyway to take any medication to help balance issues ?

I am planning to go to work on Monday. My treatment will be done by Friday and i just take couple of days rest at home and then Monday , i am planning to go to work.

Looking forward for your suggestion and advice on this.

Thanks guys!!!! Have wonderful Christmas and new year!!!!

PaulW

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 02:51:05 am »
Short answer is I felt that I was capable of driving and did.
I can understand why others may not feel so confident.
Can't say it was a total breeze. It took more concentration, and I got tired faster
But it was very possible for me to resume normal everyday driving immediately.

10x5x5mm AN
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2011, 04:55:19 am »
Agree with Paul.

My treatment was over 5 days... Mon thru Friday.  I was driving each day. Actually drove myself to each day's treatment.  Took the week off from work and returned to work the following Monday.  Some fatigue did set in early on and if it hit during work, my bosses were aware of my treatment and were good about letting me go home early.  That lasted approx 1-2 wks (I had vacation time available so was able to dip into it if I left early).

Driving was certainly not an issue for me.  Immediately after treatment (same day), I was going to lunch with my friends, shopping, walking dog (lowering my head to scoop her "business"), etc.  Some enhanced issues did arise 3-12 mos post treatment but as long as I kept my CK team aware, they were able to jump into play and prescribe (if required) meds to help the cause.

Hope that helps.  Again, my own personal experience and everyone is different.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Tumbleweed

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 04:35:12 pm »
Hi, Recharge:

That's fantastic that you are having Dr. Chang treat you at Stanford. He was/is my doctor, too. I don't think you could do any better; you'll be in extremely capable hands.

If I remember correctly, I didn't drive for at least several days after getting CK, but I had an unusually strong reaction (profound fatigue) to the radiation and coming off the steroids. (Dr. Chang thought this strong reaction portended fast tumor death; the price was worth paying for the outstanding outcome -- including dramatic shrinkage -- of my treatments.)

I hope you can leave work if you feel too wiped out. It's impossible to say how you'll feel. Some people feel completely normal following CK, while others get very fatigued. The most important thing you can do following CK is get plenty of rest and sleep.

Here is a link to a post I think you will find very helpful:
http://anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=6910.0
There, I detail my experiences with receiving CK at Stanford and include a few suggestions to make the treatments go smoothly and serenely for you.

You're on your way to better health, Recharge. Congrats on choosing a preeminent doctor and medical facility for your treatment.

Best wishes,
TW

recharge

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 03:40:38 pm »
Thanks Phyl, Paul and TW..

Happy new year to all!!!

I am really going to be recharged :) after the treatment and put this thing behind me.

I will write my story about my treatment after my treatment.