Author Topic: Two days post- op  (Read 6641 times)

Heresrose

Two days post- op
« on: November 30, 2011, 08:37:20 pm »
I had translab two days ago and I am lying here wishing I had not had the surgery but lived with the consequence instead.
3.2 x 2.1 x 1.5 partially removed via Translab on 11/28/11 w/Friedman & Schwartz of HEI, SSD, facial nerve intact but have facial paralysis and synkenisis.
3/4/14 MRI shows 3mm AN growth.
AN now is 1.7cm
4/11/14 CK Stanford with Drs. Chang and Gibbs

Phillies

Re: Two days post- op
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 09:04:39 pm »
Sorry to hear that :(  You'll get better  :)

sterry

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 09:37:53 pm »
Wow, day two and typing! I wasn't able to even look at a screen for at least a week. I think you must be doing fairly well. Hope your recovery goes well.
Susie in Wyoming
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

producer

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 04:26:58 am »
WHats the reason for saying that you wish you hadnt done the surgery if you dont mind me asking please?

chris
Mosaic NF2  diagnosed march 2011.

9mm x 6mm x 6mm left VS

Cyberknife 3 day treatment completed May 2nd.

Lynn Mc

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 04:32:41 am »
First few days are the worst.  I was a couple of weeks before I could use my computer.  Try to rest & you will get through it.
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 04:35:30 am »
I had translab two days ago and I am lying here wishing I had not had the surgery but lived with the consequence instead.

You have this wonderful quote by Eleanor Roosevelt as your sig line:

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift; that's why they call it the present"

Yes, tomorrow is a mystery, post-surgery but today is most certainly a gift... a true present.... and sending you continued wellness wishes and a speedy recovery.

My mantra for all of my ailments in life (and those that have met me know I have many...)
"Day by day, inch by inch....."

Hang tough!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 04:45:52 am »
Day two and typing? Shucks, you'll be fine. Day two for me,  they took me out of surgery and finally tried to wake me for a few minutes. Truly, the first few days are the worst and then each day gets better.

Be good to yourself,

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Heresrose

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 04:56:28 am »
The pain in my head is horrible, but the accompanying facial paralysis and inability to close my eye us unbearable. The paralysis was unexpected and so was the inability to remove the whole tumor. Don't let my ability to type fool you. I can't sleep and I am trying to keep my mind off the pain.
3.2 x 2.1 x 1.5 partially removed via Translab on 11/28/11 w/Friedman & Schwartz of HEI, SSD, facial nerve intact but have facial paralysis and synkenisis.
AN now is 1.7cm

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 05:26:10 am »
The pain in my head is horrible, but the accompanying facial paralysis and inability to close my eye us unbearable. The paralysis was unexpected and so was the inability to remove the whole tumor. Don't let my ability to type fool you. I can't sleep and I am trying to keep my mind off the pain.

I'm sorry to hear that these issues are by products of the surgery.  Many here have also endured and know that we all support you as you recover from the surgery.  I know the doctors are good about noting these things prior to procedures (even radiation... they noted it to me as well) and for all those researching options, we try to note to do your homework as best as you can pre-treatment to know potential outcomes.

For you............. know that I send healing hugglez..... with wishes that each day becomes easier to bear... speedy recovery. I know these words may mean little consolation for you at this time, but we are here, cheering you on.  Please keep us posted on what the drs say and recommend as you move forward.  Know that you are certainly not alone in what you are experiencing as many here on the forums have and do still endure the same.  We walk beside you for each step you now take forward.

Please try to get some rest. Rest will help the body heal.  Although it may be difficult right now to try to rest...... please try.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

TP

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 06:31:56 am »
First of all I am sorry you are having pain and issues. I agree the eye closing is very difficult to deal with. I too had facial paralysis and not having the ability to close my eye bothered me the most. In addition, I had double vision and I had to wear a patch over my eye for almost a year. Once I was able to get a gold weight inserted into my eye lid (that will help you close your eye) things really improved. I had to wait about 6 weeks before that very simple surgery (inserting a gold weight) and I had that for about 15 months then it was removed and I was able to close my eye lid on my own.

Please hang in there, things will improve and get plenty of rest.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 07:04:45 am »
Rose .....

I really am sorry you are having such horrible pain in your head.  Are you taking the pain meds available to you?  I really think taking whatever they will give you and keeping your eyes closed may help more than trying to keep your mind off of the pain reading here on the forum.  You know your own body and no one else can tell you what to do, but for me I would ask for the maximum stuff they would give me until the early surgical headache pain level goes down ..... and it will!

Many, many thoughts and prayers!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 07:56:44 am »
Rose, I am sorry you are struggling. When I was finally allowed to wake to consciousness and could understand what had happened, I was terribly depressed. I anticipated the paralysis to some degree, but not all the other implications of the experience. The pain was bad, but it passed...especially if I took the meds offered. I hated the way the morphine and steroids made me feel and hallucinate, but that was better than the pain.

Hang in there, lots of will be praying for you, and this does get better.

-tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Cheryl R

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 09:04:25 am »
Rose, taking steroids can make one wired and not able to sleep.     Are you telling the nurses about how bad the pain is?     Occ one pain med may not work for a person and they need to change or get a higher dose.         You are very soon after surgery and this is probably not how you are going to be forever.     The paralysis is hard to know you have and takes a while to adjust to.     I have been thru this twice.        Are you putting the right kind of lubricant in your eye also?        I got by with the heavy type drops in the day and the gel at night but others use the gel in the day also.         Hopefully the paralysis is a temporary one but that can still take a while of weeks to improve.    I feel for you and hope you can get some rest soon as that is also helping you feel so bad.    We all habdle our outcomes in our own way and hope you feel better in time.        Just make sure to tell your nurses and drs how you are feeling.          Keep letting us know how it goes as we want to be of help.                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Heresrose

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 09:21:02 am »
Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I wasn't getting very treatment from a nurse team the other night, but I was rewarded with an angel of a nurse's aid last night. The perfect combination of professionalism and compassion. After such surgery one shouldn't be ignored by the caregivers.
AN now is 1.7cm

Heresrose

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 05:56:20 pm »
Feeling better right now. MRI shows rind remaining which Schwartz expects will collapse. I also able to pucker a little better so that feels like progress. Most importantly I feel mentally alert.
AN now is 1.7cm