Author Topic: Two days post- op  (Read 6642 times)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: Two days post- op
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 06:09:05 pm »
I'm very happy your doing well. I hope your recovery road is as pain free as possible.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

HappyGirl

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 08:01:31 pm »
I'm so happy to hear you're getting a bit better!  I've been thinking about you these past days, but had to stay away from the forum in order to at least pretend to prepare for my finals.  I haven't even scheduled my surgery yet, so I don't know what you're going through.  All I can tell you is that I hope with all my might that you will be okay!!  Also, and I doubt this is any consolation for the pain you're feeling, but your sharing this here is helping others, such as me, prepare for what is coming, and for that I will be eternally grateful.

alabamajane

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 11:16:01 am »
Hi Rose,
I am 5 weeks out  from my translab so I know what you are going through.. it is all still very "raw" for me too.. I also awoke with facial paralysis and eye issues so I know those feelings too and it is VERY  hard to deal with when it is unexpected! One thing, make sure they give you plenty of pain meds for first few days/week,, my nurses were phenomenal and very responsive so I can say pain was not an issue until I went home and was weaned off some of it. And getting off the steroids will definitely help your feelings too and sleep.. you really need rest right now or at least your brain does.. I now have headaches and feeling/ or lack of it is coming back into face and side of head and that is hard to deal with. But try to remember what my Dr told me about paralysis,, "You will not always be like this". . it will take time, but it will also get better. I had two surgeries in 5 days,, the second was a graft of tongue nerve and facial nerve and they also put gold weight in my eyelid.. I was glad to get it over with, but that was hard week.. also, realize that when you get home and off some pain meds and the anesthesia gets out of your system, you will feel more like yourself and much better.. it took me about two weeks to really start feeling like myself and now,, I am not what I was,, and won't be, and I know how hard that is for you at this point to overcome as it was for me,, but I will be better than I am now and so will you.. patience is something I have to learn.. it is hard especially when you end up with an outcome you did not go into it looking for.. but realize your situation will get better as you move out from the surgery and your body/brain heals.. if you look at my first posts you will probably see a very angry, hurting individual, , but I am getting better.. Dr visit this week at one month out was positive, healing going well and return is in 3 mo. with nerve conduction test to see how it is going.. so hang in there and  rest and stay on them about pain meds right now,, I had morphine, loratab and dilaudin (?) pump to begin with,, I did not like the hallucinations but also did not want to feel anything for first few days..ask for different nurses if need be, they are there to make you feel better not ignore you and you are "paying the bill" so insist!! Good luck to you and hope each day truly does get better for you,, Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

micca82

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 08:29:54 pm »
Ah, I know what you exactly mean by ' I wish I never had the surgery' I know if I say that to anyone around me, they will think it's stupid to think that way... :( I was angry the first 6 months or so about how I let 'surgery' happen. Facial paralysis is so difficult to deal with. I'm almost 9 months post op, and I started feeling emotionally better after taking antidepressants at 6 month mark.

With everyone telling me that I should be thankful that I had survived the surgery, I think that was more stressful than anything else. It forced me to keep my anger inside always and it really stressed me out, I think. I think it's good to let your anger out. I wish I had done it earlier.

Hang in there-- I'll keep you in my prayers.
MRI found 5.1cm AN on left on 3/18/11: age of 28
Surgery 4/5/11 with dr.Tamargo and dr. Francis. @ johns Hopkins
Whole tumor removed, facial nerves in tact, but unresponsive
Platinum eyelid weight on 4/6
Left facial paralysis, numbness, double vision

God is the Healer