Author Topic: Humidifier vs Vaporizer for dry eye  (Read 9183 times)

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
Humidifier vs Vaporizer for dry eye
« on: November 30, 2011, 01:20:25 pm »
Hey everyone,

I am 3 years post op with some facial issues. Most of my face movements were regained during the course of time but the forehead and eye lid still do not move. Forehead at all, eye lid closes less regularly and not all the way down. I need to squint it to force it close. I have no tears in the right injured eye. So for the irritation that the eye gets I use Refresh Celluvisc during the day and Refresh P.M. for nighttime.

However, I noticed that the lower the humidity in the room is, the more frequently my eye gets irritated. For this purpose, I have put several evenings in row a pan of water to boil on the stove but that is a temporary decision. I am strongly considering to put a humidifier on the wish list for Christmas. Can anyone recommend me a kind of humidifier? I have read there is a difference and some people prefer vaporizers. My husband has allergies of all sorts and problems with sinuses. I guess I should consider this too when choosing the right one......

Thank you for the advice!
Have a great day

Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

Angel894

Re: Humidifier vs Vaporizer for dry eye
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 12:19:19 am »
I'd be worried that the stuff from the vaporizer would make the dryness worse, maybe?
AN reduction March 17, 2009.  80% of a 6.4x7.6 cm  monster removed.  Remaining tumor has since shrunk leaving only slight residual tumor behind being monitored by now yearly MRIs.  Had my eye re-opened & the lids reconstructed in November of '10 & fighting to keep my life as normal as I can

gringadactyl

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 11:28:00 pm »
I haven't been in your situation, but I do live in a dry climate, and humidifiers definitely make life more pleasant!  Do keep in mind the noise level it will be introducing to your life as you're shopping around.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 11:31:48 pm »
I believe that the difference is that one produces a hot vapor and one a cool mist, but either will introduce moisture into the air.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 12:45:29 am »
Thank you for the input, ladies and happy new year!

I got a humidifier for Christmas and I am pretty happy with it. It has a fan that blows a cool air so it will be handy in the summer :) the humidifier moisturizes the air at night and for the cold days here in MI I heat up water on the stove because this is the easiest way to warm up since the university housing has a strange regulation insisting on putting more layers of clothes on rather than increasing the temperature.

best wishes for the new one day longer year!
hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co