Author Topic: Dry eye in the winter  (Read 3982 times)

MNTim

Dry eye in the winter
« on: December 12, 2011, 09:05:25 pm »
My left eye will not close completely and becomes irritated when a breeze is blowing.  Winter is worse because of the low humidity and constant wind.  I have considered eye wear like ski goggles when I am outside.  I will stay inside all of the time before I wear the clear, "pirate patch" from the hospital.  Any suggestions?

Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

Brewers7

Re: Dry eye in the winter
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 02:38:47 pm »
I have used a humidifier in my bedroom and in my office.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

ombrerose4

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 08:33:39 pm »
Tim,

I have the same concerns. My eye does close completely, but being outside in the cold and the wind is like a knife in my eye. My job involves being outside a good part of the day and I am also looking for suggestions on how to cope with this issue. Sometimes when I am walking outside I will close my eye for a few seconds on and off, but then I have to worry about knocking into someone. Let's hope someone has good suggestions for us.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 07:56:34 pm »
Shortly after my surgery, my eye did not close well so I bought a pair of motorcycle glasses. They have foam around the edges so it kept the wind out and gave my eye some shade from bright light. I also bought a clear pair, but I have to admit they looked a little weird with the black foam and clear lenses. My eye has gotten better over time. I don't really need to worry about wind anymore unless it's really strong.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Pol

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 12:19:34 pm »
Hi
I got some Wiley X sunglasses made specifially for keeping dirt, wind etc. out of the eye. I wear them for cycling year round or when walking in the winter.
They come with an inner styrofoam liner that can be removed. Pricey but if you have vision insurance that  should cover some of the cost. Google Wiley X and you'll find several options. Hope that helps.
AN diagnosed Sept.'99; GK Dec. '99 and Sept. '06
Subocciptal partial resection (AN 2.5x 2.2) by Drs. Bojrab & Pieper. SSD right