Author Topic: Failed CK My friends I need you now more than ever  (Read 6991 times)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Failed CK My friends I need you now more than ever
« on: November 29, 2011, 04:42:57 pm »
I have to admit my heart sank today when Dr. Medberry told me my AN was fatter. As most of you know I am almost 4 years post CK. The past month I have had/still have trigeminal neuralgia. I did take some anticonvultant meds when I am totally allergic to hypersensitivity. Red rash, swollen lymp nodes and fever  :( So I am not taking any meds. Just dealing with the pain.
Anyways Dr. M said it was definately right next to the trigeminal dorsal so hence the reason I'm in pain. He said follow up MRI 6 months. I cannot take the pain to wait. If it has grown then I'm gonna have to face the music and look into my surgical options. I'm looking  into HEI in LA. I would have to fly and travel but maybe sometime mid to end of Jan.

I'm very scared and really really need some support now more than ever.  :-[

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Failed CK My friends I need you now more than ever
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 05:01:28 pm »
Mindy ~

Allow me to express my sincere regret at the news that your radiated AN has shown definite growth and is causing you pain.  Your decision to contact HEI is a good one that will likely receive near-unanimous support here.  I'm so sorry you have to deal with this but surgery may end up being a blessing if it finally destroys the AN that has given you so much trouble.  We're here for you and hope that you'll keep us updated because we care.  You'll be in my prayers and those of many others and that is always a good thing.  Please try to look forward - to being AN-free.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 05:06:50 pm »
Dear Mindy .....

So sorry you did not have the best news today ..... and even sorrier that you continue to have the awful pain from the trigeminal neuralgia.  I had surgery almost 18 years ago to relieve the terrible trigeminal neuralgia pain (long before my AN and on the opposite side).  I'm not sure the anticonvulsant drugs would help much anyway.  I tried Tegretol for months with gradually increasing doses until I was a zombie and still no relief.  The only relief I had was after MVD surgery and it was immediate and never returned.

I would strongly urge you to contact HEI, where they deal with unusual acoustic neuroma cases every day.  See:  http://www.houseearclinic.com/consultation/acousticneuroma  They will get back to you usually within 24 hours of the receipt of your materials.  At least you would have a valid additional opinion.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 05:39:33 pm »
Mindy, I am so sorry to read your bad news! I remember how awful I felt when the doctor came to me and told me - "we need to do another surgery on you.." I did not have radiation but these words resonate in my mind and I feel your sorrow.

Once you've had radiation, it will make the surgical removal of the tumor more difficult.

Please search for really good and experienced doctors who have already dealt with this kind of problem specifically.

I can tell you more about Europe and the options there but have no recommendations for the USA, apart from House Ear Institute in Los Angels because this was the only option I considered when I was looking for a place outside Europe.

Best of luck to you!
Hrissy

4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 06:42:04 pm »
Thank you very much for the warm shoulders and kind words. Tomorrow I will find out if HEI takes blue cross blue shield & if my insurance will cover me there. Anybody have HEI stories.  Would like to hear.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

mk

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 07:37:22 pm »
Hello Mindy,

I am really sorry to hear this, I have been following your journey and your posts mainly through the CK forum. Did Dr. M. say how much it has grown? I just wanted to point out that growth does not necessarily cause trigeminal neuralgia. My AN was large enough to impact the trigeminal nerve causing numbness, but never pain. If you decide upon the surgical route, you should ask specifically the doctors if they think that the pain will go away.

I also had failed radiation, followed by surgery. I understand exactly how you feel, as last year this time I was exactly in your shoes, after getting my MRI results. I consulted with a lot of doctors, and all of them, except from one, said that based on their personal experience surgical removal of a radiated AN is not necessarily more difficult for an experienced surgeon. It all depends on the specific situation. They sometimes see sticky non-radiated tumors and vice-versa. The neurosurgeon that I finally chose said after my surgery that in some areas it was easier to remove, and in some others more difficult. I ended up with an excellent outcome and I recovered quickly with no side effects.
Having said this, you know already how important it is to find an experienced team - a consult with HEI is an excellent idea. It seems so hard right now, but don't despair. There are many stories here of successful removal of radiated ANs.

Best wishes,
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 05:46:00 am »
Mindy

If Dr Medbery is noting another MRI in 6 mos, he must feel the situation (ie: AN condition) may not necessarily be the issue this far down the road?  Do I have that right?  I know the dimensions of the growth at time at treatment (approx 14mm).  What is Dr. M saying now re: potential growth? More than 2mm?  Absolutely no sign of necrosis or ragged edge all the way around?

You know I give you MAJOR hugglez... and cheer you on BIG time. Wish I could reach through the monitor and personally deliver.

Be strong, m'dear.... be strong.  Lemme know what he says. I have a sneaky (one of them female-gut-things) that it may not necessarily be what is thought.............................................

xo
Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 06:53:08 am »
Phyllis dr M didn't measure. He said he didn't feel the 1/2mm difference was necessary or something. He did say it was in the trigeminal dorsal. Could you message him? I don't have a close relationship as you. Ask him about the edges etc. He did say its a little brighter  ???

Mei Mei

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 03:21:18 pm »
Dear Mindy,
I'm so sorry about your disappointing news from your doctor, but you have to plow ahead and going over to HEI is a good thing.   Send your CD and fax your MRI report to them tomorrow first thing and they will call you back with an answer.   They are very good about this.    They won't fail you and you will be in good hands.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

mk

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 06:09:11 pm »
If it is only 1-2 mm difference, then it would be within the margin of error for the MRI. However, as I learned in my situation it is most important to establish a trend by following subsequent MRIs. I never had more than 1 mm growth in- between MRIs, but the trend was clearly going upwards. So whoever reviews the MRIs should not only look at the most recent one. Probably Dr. M. is not convinced that he is seeing a trend yet, that's why he said to get another MRI in 6 months. You may want to check again with him.
A few other points: ANs might change shape after radiation. And, appearing "brighter" again, is sometimes due to the appearance of scar tissue, following necrosis. So from these two criteria you can't tell if your AN is growing.
By the way, from your signature I see that you didn't have CK with Dr. M. Is he the one who follows you now? What does your original radiation oncologist say about all this?

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 06:54:32 pm »
Phyllis dr M didn't measure. He said he didn't feel the 1/2mm difference was necessary or something. He did say it was in the trigeminal dorsal. Could you message him? I don't have a close relationship as you. Ask him about the edges etc. He did say its a little brighter  ???

Mindy
I have a message out to him... stand by for update  :-*.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 06:56:21 pm »
MK I am not being followed by anyone right now. I no longer live in the Seattle area. I sent all my films to Dr M. He reviewed it and said its consistent with growth. He never called it a failure.  He just said to stand on tenterhooks for 6 months. Im trying to grasp any straws I can.
Clarmst a member here had the same issue continued growth. She waited another year & it shrank big time. Sheesh if I can only be so lucky.
sorry posting via Droid

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 06:58:52 pm »
Im trying to grasp any straws I can.

sorry posting via Droid

grasping at straws.... not a good idea... you got us to stand by you! :)

posting via Droid..... oy.   :o  ;)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 07:09:22 pm »
I know I have all you guys. I am very grateful. More than any of you guys will ever know  ;D

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 07:39:10 pm »
Mindy

Please see PM/email from me here on the site.

Phyl