Author Topic: did anyone had a AN surgery with Retrosigmoid procedure?  (Read 6871 times)

meh

did anyone had a AN surgery with Retrosigmoid procedure?
« on: July 19, 2006, 02:35:22 pm »
If any one had a AN surgery with Retrosigmoid proceduere pl. share your experience with us.

We have consulted Dr. Brackman at House Ear Clinic and he has suggested Translab and Retrosigmoid procedure for my husband's surgery.

Translab is totally deaf in one ear while Dr. Brackman said Retrosigmoid can give a headache problem
and Middle fossa is not advisable for him based on the tumor size.
All the procedure has atleast one downfall.  :(

Did anyone have headache problem after the surgery when used Retrosigmoid procedure to do AN surgery? >:(

Thanks.

TT

• Tenor Sax in stero; nothing better
Re: did anyone had a AN surgery with Retrosigmoid procedure?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 03:36:51 pm »
I can't give you a report on the results; I'm scheduled to have that procedure on Agu. 24th. My doctor recomended it because the AN is not too large measuring 2cm and I still have a little hearing left. He gave me a 30% chance, but thats better than the odds with the Translab approach. I also inquired about the headaches and he indicated that he has great success with his patients where they were not an issue. I booked it and now I'm playing the waiting game. I plan to post afterwards if you're still contemplating your decision. Good luck.
Terry
2 cm AN - right side
Diagnosed 6/22/06
Retro. procedure performed on 8/24/06 / SSD
Dr. Peter Smith & Dr. Robt. Backer
St. Johns Hospital - St. Louis, Missouri

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 03:46:52 pm »
I had the retrosegmoid procedure to remove a 4.5cm AN tumor on June 7th of this year (2006).  I'm pleased to report that it was a very successful surgery and I enjoyed a rapid recovery. 

Over 70% of the tumor was removed with no noticable nerve damage (the facial nerves were monitored during the surgery to avoid disturbing them, which is common procedure, now).   I did not experienced headaches following surgery and no spinal fluid leakage whatsoever.   I do sometimes experience a slight 'dry eye' condition in my left eye - the side the AN tumor once was on, usually late in the day when I'm getting tired.  OTC eyedrops quickly correct the condition.  I expect it will eventually resolve itself.  If not, it's a very minor inconvenience to deal with.  Unfortunately, my hearing was already lost pre-surgery, so that is not an issue for me, one way or the other.  I did have some relatively minor balance problems, post-op.  They were quickly resolved with exercises, a lot of walking and my determination to get back to normal.   I was driving and resuming all of my regular activities within 4 weeks of my AN surgery.  Obviously, surgery results will vary for each individual AN patient.  That being said, my neurosurgeon and I are well satisfied with the results I have had.  'Fractionalized Radiation' (30 treatments over 30 days) to kill the cells of (what remains) of the tumor is scheduled to begin in early September and will end by mid-October.  Then I'll be done with this thing for good, I hope.

Jim 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 01:06:09 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cinnamon

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 03:52:52 pm »
I can relate to how you feel. My ear surgeon scared the bejesus out of me with the 2 different approaches. My thoughts were leaning to do translab because I did not want to even think about bad headaches. I thought about it for a couple of weeks, talked to my neurosurgeon and determined that the headaches aren't really all that bad. I feel that by doing retrosimoid I first have a small chance of keeping my hearing and two that with the location of my tumor the doctors have better access. I am having my surgery tomorrow. I am sure others will see your post and reply. Good luck with your decision. Just talk with your ear surgeon, neurosurgeon and get a second opinion. I got a second opinion so that is how I came up with the end result. Just trust your decision so you don't regret it later. I will be talking to you soon, I am needed in surgery.

Lisa
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

amymeri

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 04:11:56 pm »
I had no choice because my tumor (4cm) was too large for anything but retrosigmoid.  It was wrapped around my facial nerve and I had full hearing at the time of surgery.  After surgery I had no hearing in the right ear and facial paralysis that doctors predict will go away but so far (3 mos out) there has  been no change.  I also had double vision that lasted 2 months.  Very mild imbalance (very mild) and no headaches for me.

Can't tell you about the other options.  There are probably pros and cons to both.  I will tell you that the hearing loss is the least of my problems.

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Sefra22

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 04:21:38 pm »
The doctor I spoke to at House Clinic recommended Trans Lab for me, but when I met with the Neurosurgeon here, he recommended Retrosigmoid. He explained to me that Neurosurgeons prefer the Retrosigmoid approach. When I told him about what I learned from the House doc, he said that they are ENT surgeons, and are more likely to use Trans Lab.
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 09:21:56 pm »
I had retro 11 mos ago in a few days.  At about 6 mos out I regained a tiny bit of hearing.  So Amy keep the faith!  It's not serviceable but it was enough to get rid of that horrible wonky headed feeling.  I have facial numbness which is still undetermined if it will go away or not.  My vestibular nerve was also sacrificed so I have balance and memory problems.  I didn't like the idea of giving up my ear nerves just in case I could retain some hearing (I had nothing left going into surgery) or they developed something down the road that would help.  Yes, I know there is the baha and cross.

I know for me the retro decision sorta took care of itself as the first consult which was with an ENT who specializes in AN's gave me the two options then after reviewing my mri said translab was not a great option now would he do it based on size and location of my tumor (I had brain stem involvement). 

I had a neuro guy remove my tumor without the team approach. 

I have not had the headaches I've read about except on very intense rainy atmospheric pressure days.  I honestly had those type of headaches before so I can not say if they are related to the AN's or not.  Usually over the counter stuff handles it.

amymeri

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 06:59:54 am »
I am curious about getting any hearing left...how is that possible?  I was under the impression that my whole nerve was removed?

Hmmmm, that would be strange to hear anything again, although serously, I hardly notice the hearing loss in most situations.  Jeez, the facial paralysis is a thousand times more annoying.  I have facial numbness in my lips, chin and cheekbone area.  I had total facial numbness for a couple weeks but it improved to the current situation and has stayed like this for a couple months.  It is annoying but livable.  I had minor facial numbness as my only pre-op symptom!
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 08:01:46 am »
meh,
  If you look through some of the research articles, related to headaches and retrosigmiod, they mention that they think headaches may be related to how scrupuluosly they are in not leaving bone dust behind.  Any highly experienced skull base surgery team should be aware of this, and reflect that in their procedures, including closure.
  I have not had any headaches since having retrosigmoid surgery.  When I asked my surgery team about the possibility of headaches they said that they didn't have a problem with headaches with their patients.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Mtn Gal

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 09:25:41 am »
I am seven weeks post-op retrosigmoid (some call it subocippital).  My surgeon and ENT team determined retro would give them the best advantage to getting to the tumor and also monitoring the facial nerve.  I asked my surgeon about headaches from bone dust and he assured me they used a tool to vacuum or suction all of the bone dust, plus there are several layers they have to open up after drilling thru the bone.  I have not had any headaches to mention; just a few throbs when I turn my head too quickly or bend over a lot.  None of my nerves were damaged.  I know I am one of the lucky (blessed) ones.

Mtn Gal
Mtn Gal
Dx Spring 2003 (7mm)
MRI Spring 2006 (13mm)
Retrosigmoid Surgery 05/31/06
Wake Forest Univ. Med. Ctr.

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 08:32:02 pm »
I had retrosigmoid surgery 2 years ago. I had no facial problems despite the nerve being sticky and around the facial nerve, and did not loose any hearing. They sacrificed the vestibular nerve and I have a little trouble walking in malls and in poorly lit areas. It doesn't really stop me from doing anything. My surgeon accounted for the bone dust. I do have headaches. I've heard many therories as so what causes headaches but I really don't think anyone knows. I've noted that people with all approaches have described headaches on this site so I don't think any approach is 100% headache free. My doctor mentioned that if you have headaches prior to surgery that it increases your chances of having them after. I don't know if this is true but it seems like a lot of people on this site had headaches prior that increased after. My headaches are on the opposite side of my surgery and are mostly triggered by movement. Maybe my neck was in an awkward position during surgery?  Best of luck with your decision.
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

meh

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 11:52:32 am »
Thank you all. These really helped us.

We are waiting only on our insurance. After that everything will be decided about to go to the House. We are far away from House. But our internal feeling is to go the House. so most probably we will go to House.

Not sure when, but we will keep you all informed.

Thanks.

LK

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 06:16:20 pm »
In 1992 I had a 2cm. tumor and opted for retrosigmoid surgery at NYU with Drs. Cohen and Ransonhoff. Unforunately, my hearing could not be saved. However, I was fortunate not to have experienced any sides effects from the surgery. I experienced no headaches, facial paralysis, or balance problems.
I am one of the lucky ones. Good luck with whatever surgurical procedure you choose.

littlemissrory

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2006, 01:03:22 am »
Thought I'd add in a positive and very grateful thought on Retrosigmoid.  I had surgery May 2004, my surgeons were fantastic and I'm thrilled to say they saved my hearing, facial and balance nerves.  No headaches.  Keep in mind that everyone is different, but it was the best decision I could have made.
Best of luck to you.
Rory

katmumof3

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2006, 06:25:16 pm »
hoya there :)  I had retro in April this year on a 2.5 AN, surgery was a complete success, 100% tumor removed, no facial problems, balance is coming good, and 95% hearing retained! woohoo! Only complaint i had was that i had a sore right hip cause of the way they laid me on the table, so couldn't sleep on that side for a couple of weeks, so considering that's the worst complaint i got, everything went brilliantly! lol
2.5cm AN removed 26/4/06 retrosigmoid
awaiting follow up MRI