Author Topic: Facial paralysis that got better  (Read 2892 times)

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
Facial paralysis that got better
« on: July 23, 2006, 08:01:12 pm »

I was just wondering who had facial paralysis and now have normal face function.  How long did it take you? PLEASE WRITE BACK! :)
Taylor
Translab/4.8 cm AN on right side removed 2/3/06
St. Louis Children's Hospital (next to Barnes-Jewish)/ Jeffery Leonard - Neurosurgeon
Cross-facial nerve graft with muscle transplant
Bad coordination on right side - constant pins-and-needles sensation on left side
21 years-old
Illinois

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Facial paralysis that got better
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 08:12:29 pm »
Taylor,
  I had some facial paralisis, no blink, no tears, no control on one side of my mouth.  All these things resolved after about 6 weeks.  Here's hoping that yours resolves too.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 11:24:55 pm »
I think the size of your AN is proportional to the length of full recovery.  My AN was 2cm and I had full face recovery by 6-8 weks.  But at 7 months I still have some residual tongue issues.  Just keep your hopes up and stay busy with your life.  Your body will heal just fine.  Get lots of rest and don't cheat on that!

Raydean

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 04:56:58 am »
Hi Taylor

First of all I hope you receive the answers that you are looking for.  I can only imagine how hard this is at your age.  I clearly remember back to the early months post op thinking of the same questions as you are asking .  I rejoiced with everyone's facial return. I was so happy for them and it gave us hope, but at the same time a small part of me was saying " how come this isn't happening to Chet, he's a good person too."

There are so many factors involving the facial paralysis, but in your case your young age and good health will be a plus factor.  Taylor, I want your facial return so much for you, don't give up on it.  But I would suggest having a EMG test done so you know where you're at.  Later on a second one can be done to compare.   This test will not slow done your progress of return.  It's just a tool to help
measure response or lack of response and where there is response.

Taylor, I know the struggles are many, faced on a daily basis, that takes courage and strength of spirit.  You are an amazing young person.  You are beautiful inside and out!!!!!!

Hugs
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

amymeri

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 06:51:16 am »
Taylor

I can't imagine dealing with this at 18 since I find it tough at 39!  Did you have your nerve monitored before and after surgery to determine if it was functioning properly?  I have heard many times from people that the nerve continues to heal up to 2 years and sometimes even longer.  The first thing you might notice is improvement in tone and then tiny movements.  Once you get some movement you can start thinking about facial retraining by a qualified therapist (and qualified is the key).  bellspalsy.ws has some good information on facial paralysis if you are interested in researching further.

If your nerve was intact your chances of recovery are good (that's what people keep telling me) and if it wasn't there are procedures to improve function.  Your youth will really help you, too.

Good luck!!
Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 08:15:02 am »
*runs in, gives MASSIVE huggles to Taylor.. and to her mom.... runs back out* :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"