Author Topic: what are my choices?  (Read 2112 times)

suz

what are my choices?
« on: November 26, 2011, 08:07:51 pm »
Hello friends,
I have spent this past four days with family asking everyone to repeat themselves again and again or simply just isolating myself because I am so frustrated with my lack of hearing. In my day to day routine I seem to have adapted to my hearing loss. But in larger rooms with multiple sounds - like several small conversation groups and a tv on and water running - the hearing in my one ear just doesn't work well enough. I am feeling a bit sorry for myself tonight - I'll admit it. My family is very understanding and patient and funny about repeating everything for me. But constantly missing what is being said, planned, laughed at, requested, etc. is getting to me. I am so cranky today, and I should be happy having spent the long weekend with my extended family that I do love.
The best part is that I feel ready now to explore options in hearing devices, but I am not sure where to start. I there a general article or resource that describes every choice?   I would like to do my own research first before seeing a doc.
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Re: what are my choices?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 01:26:32 am »
You will see a lot of threads here on the site.  You can search for them individually.  There is, of course the BAHA, either Cochlear or Oticon.  There's the Transear, Soundbite and Cros devices that you may have for options.  Why don't you research them all here on the site and then ask questions.  There are people who can answer your questions based on the device you want to research.  Good luck with your search.  I'm sure you will find what's right for you.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 07:48:02 am »
Suz .....

Dale is absolutely right to check out the various options and what people have to say right here.

Maybe it is on your signature (which I cannot see while replying), but I was thinking you came out of surgery with some of your hearing preserved ..... maybe I'm thinking of someone else.  You may want to get a current audiogram to see what your actual hearing is (in either or both ears), including your speech discrimination score.  That might make a difference on the choice of hearing devices.  You might benefit from a good quality, regular hearing aid for a while.  After my first surgery I retained 20% of my hearing with 100% speech discrimination so I had almost three years of much improved hearing with a Widex hearing aid before the second surgery at HEI (translab so total hearing loss now).  I am extremely happy with my bone-anchored hearing device now (Oticon Medical Ponto Pro for me).

If I were you, I would find the most educated and experienced audiologist I could find (I make a 3 hour drive to my excellent one for my Ponto programming, but that is not terribly practical.) and discuss it with her, based on your particular hearing level(s).  Preferably try to find one (or a group) who has had experience with many different types of hearing devices.  You could even call HEI and see if they know one in your area.

Best wishes and ask away with any questions.  Let us know what you find.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

suz

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 09:11:44 pm »
thanks Clarice and Dale,
I will try using the search option in the discussion board to check out some of the devices you have mentioned.
You are right, Clarice, I DID have very little hearing loss after surgery. It got slightly worse a month after then ALOT worse 6 months later. Also have constant ringing/roaring that got much louder at the same time. I hear sounds in that ear but speech discrimination stinks! I can only imagine that a hearing aid would just magnify all of that without helping me understand speech bettter. But getting another hearing test would probably help clarify my options.
Thanks again for your comments,
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:05:45 am »
IMO, your best bets are the BAHA and the TransEar.

I chose a BAHA and am extremely happy with it.  Try the demo; I think you'll be impressed.  I was!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways