Author Topic: What makes a AN tumor a brain tumor repost please  (Read 3984 times)

Raydean

What makes a AN tumor a brain tumor repost please
« on: July 18, 2006, 05:38:30 pm »
 A few months ago on one of the threads the subject came up on why AN's are considered brain tumors.  There was an excellent reply that answered the question.  Does anyone remember the answer?  I believe it had something to do with cranial nerves.  I think it was kathleen that provided the answer, mark also replied.

Thanks in advance
Raydean
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 05:45:27 pm by Raydean »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

amymeri

Re: What makes a AN tumor a brain tumor repost please
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 06:07:18 pm »
An acoustic neuroma is a tumor arising from the lining of the nerve cells on cranial nerve 8.  The 12 Cranial nerves go from the brain to the structures in the head and neck.  While not technically IN the brain, and not a tumor of brain tissue itself, the neuroma is a central nervous system tumor that is ON the brain.

Is this what you were looking for?  I hope it helps!

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Mark

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 09:06:39 pm »
Hi Raydean,

This might be one of the ones you were thinking of re: AN as  a Brain tumor

based on the friendly little debate on whether an AN is a brain tumor, I posed the question on the CPSG board to see if any of the doctors would respond.

Here is the answer from Dr. Spunberg

From my medical school training, we were always taught that the cranial nerves were in fact an extension of the brain, so that an acoustic neuroma would be a brain tumor, whether inside the skull or not. For example, when we look inside the eye during a fundoscopic exam to visualize the optic nerve head, to check for papilledema, we allways viewed that nerve as the one portion of the brain that you could actually see directly, without the need for a craniotomy.

Therefore, I would call an AN a brain tumor...a rose by any other name, would still be a rose.

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D., FACR, FACRO
Cyberknife Center Of Palm Beach
jspunberg@radiationoncologyinstitute.com
(561) 799-2828
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Windsong

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 09:48:03 pm »
This is an old verbal  spewing to my mind...

Is it a brain tumour/is it not etc.....

kinda weird thinking for me as i think anything that is in the head/ + is on  ANY nerve coming out of the brain stem and is on any branch wiggling along the inside of the head, sort of is making itself known in the head etc......

Frankly, who the %$#@! if an AN  is called a brain tumour or not? 

Semantics , really.....

it sure does create /cause symptoms tho in the head...... and it sure does affect things in the brain. ( reading abstracts sure tells me the "brain" is affected by an An)

good thing is soo many can have treatment where it is "smuffled"/dead" etc... whether by surgical removal by the drilling of a hole in your head/ or Ck  or FSR or GK where the the AN  is cut off with dna replication... doesn't matter what, really, as long as it is "inactive"....

windsong

tony

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 01:13:53 am »
Actually some Docs/surgeons prefer to call them
"lower skull base tumous" (which is the other "official" name)
They can push/compress against the brain - but they very rarely
actually grow into the brain
best regards
Tony

Derek

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 03:14:57 am »
Hi all...

My medical insurance in the UK does not cover 'brain' tumours but they are happy to pay out for 'cranial nerve' tumours therefore I definitely do not have a brain tumour!

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Raydean

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 04:39:50 am »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  The same question came up on another board that I'm on and I
wanted to share the information that I received here.  You guys are terrific!

Have a great day.
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 09:25:12 am »
my thoughts... it's an ugly head booger that don't belong! :D

*runs out quick before slapped by the wenches!*  :-*
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"