Author Topic: Surgery Tomorrow Nov 4  (Read 10461 times)

DHJ

Surgery Tomorrow Nov 4
« on: November 03, 2011, 04:58:56 pm »
   Well after 3 plus years of happily waiting and watching and 1 cancelled surgery my 2.9cm AN will be gone tomorrow. I will be in good hands with McKenna/Barker at mass General Hospital. Thank you for all your help and prayers. Will post my results when able.   Peace Dave J
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

HeidiC

Re: Surgery Tomorrow Nov 4
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 05:08:16 pm »
Good Luck Dave! 

~Heidi
Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 08:57:58 am »
Dave .....

Soon you will be in Postie Land!  You are in good hands so I know you will do well.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

New girl

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 02:06:26 pm »
Best wishes.  You are definately in good hands!   :)
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

JAndrews

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 06:10:21 pm »
Best wishes and prayers being sent your way:)
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

rvb755

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 08:53:25 am »
Praying for a smooth surgery and speedy recovery.  Let us know how things turn out.
3.2cm x 5.0cm x 3.3cm Left side AN
Translab with Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI
on 8/24/2011
100% tumor removal, no facial nerve damage, SSD

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 03:49:43 pm »
Hope you did great. Post as soon as you can.

DHJ wifey

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 03:55:55 pm »
Hi Everyone this is Dave's wife Julie ... can't seem to figure out what his user name/password is so I'm posting for him.  Surgery was successful.  Tumor was totally resected by Barker/McKenna at Mass General Hospital on November 4th.  He was transferred to Spaulding Rehab on Wednesday and waiting to hear what the game plan is for going home.  Thanks to all for your prayers and good thoughts. 

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 04:15:12 pm »
Hi, Julie ~

Thanks so much for taking the time and making the effort to register and post (on Dave's behalf).

I'm very pleased to learn that his AN surgery was successful.  Like you, we await an update on Dave's doctors plan for his rehab/recovery.

Please pass along our collective good wishes and high fives!  :)  Thanks.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 05:19:26 am »
Julie

Thank you for this update! Please give Dave my very best wellness wishes from another Bawstonian! :)

Can you share why they moved him to Spaulding (was it Boston site or Metro Boston) for rehab? 

You try to get some rest as well... hang in there.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

New girl

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 10:59:29 am »
Glad to hear surgery went well and all the tumor was removed!   :)   I hope recovery is going well so he can return home soon.  Thanks for posting.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011

DHJ wifey

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 01:18:51 am »
Hi all... update on my husband Dave... he is back at Mass General tonight and just confirmed with bacterial meningitis.  They have hopefully caught it early and he has already started antiibiotic treatment.  This is not the path we expected to take but trying to have faith in his recovery without any more detours!  Phyl asked about Spaulding Rehab - Dave went from MGH to one of their subacute rehab centers as recommended to regain his balance and motor skills, which appeared to be affected not just by the removal of the vestibular nerve but by the tumor's proximity to the cerebellum.  (I am a new student of all this, not having done much reading on my own but relying on Dave to tell me things up till now - my advice to other AN patients with loved ones is to make them read and learn as much as you do!!!) If I have this wrong, I pray for the day Dave gets back here and straightens me out!!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 06:05:22 am »
Hi all... update on my husband Dave... he is back at Mass General tonight and just confirmed with bacterial meningitis.  They have hopefully caught it early and he has already started antiibiotic treatment.  This is not the path we expected to take but trying to have faith in his recovery without any more detours!  Phyl asked about Spaulding Rehab - Dave went from MGH to one of their subacute rehab centers as recommended to regain his balance and motor skills, which appeared to be affected not just by the removal of the vestibular nerve but by the tumor's proximity to the cerebellum.  (I am a new student of all this, not having done much reading on my own but relying on Dave to tell me things up till now - my advice to other AN patients with loved ones is to make them read and learn as much as you do!!!) If I have this wrong, I pray for the day Dave gets back here and straightens me out!!!

You have explained beautifully and easy to follow and I commend you for not only being there for Dave but for keeping us updated. I'm glad they caught the infection and he is now back at MGH for proper/immediate care.  I had not heard of others being moved direct to rehab but sounds like the MGH team is certainly on top of things in order to help him on the immediate road to wellness.

As for you, there are SOOOOOOOO many of us local to Boston if you need us.  I'm just up Rt 1 North and many others around as well.  We're here if you need us.  You can PM/email me-us here........ you need to take care of yourself as well.

Hugglez to you and Dave. Hang tough... we're here!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 07:15:12 am »
Julie .....

So sorry Dave has had this set-back on his road to recovery.  As Phyl said, you need to take care of yourself right now.  Dave is being well-cared for in the hospital, but it is the caregiver who needs to be sure to be cared for, as well.

Many thoughts and prayers for both of you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

New girl

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 08:57:54 am »
Good thing they caught the meningitis early.  Hopefully you will be home soon.  I agree with the other great posts to get some rest yourself!  We are thinking of you.  Best wishes.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011