Author Topic: Balance worse in dark places?  (Read 31806 times)

b28

Balance worse in dark places?
« on: November 03, 2011, 01:59:21 pm »
Does anyone experience noticeably worse unsteadiness while walking in dark environments?

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
Re: Balance worse in dark places?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 02:31:19 pm »
I believe it is pretty common for those with damaged/severed vestibular nerves.. the eye's are one of the tools the brain uses to help compensate for the lack of balance input from the damaged nerve.

A couple of strategically placed nightlights is all I need at my house, if I'm elsewhere I use my phone as a flashlight
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)

schmidtkat

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 02:49:22 pm »
Oh yes, balance in the dark is a real issue. I'm sharing a link to an article that has been posted through this site previously. It really helped me to understand this issue. I hope it will shed some light on things for you as well. Thanks to all who have posted and re-posted when I needed this.
http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/balancesystem.htm   ~ Kathy

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 04:01:38 pm »
Yes and my surgeon said that usually never gets back to a normal feeling after the surgery.  There have been a few here who said they have, so can vary per person.
                                                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

JAndrews

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 06:15:33 pm »
Yes, it was pretty bad the first year post-op. Now its still a little off in the dark, it feels like my body is starting to sway.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 07:25:27 pm »
Absolutely, I find walking in the dark extremely challenging even a few steps.......it is so odd but understandable as we use our eyes in the light for balance and we are even sure most of the time where we place our feet but in the dark.....watch out
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 09:54:57 pm »
Yes, according to the doctor your balance has three separate parts involved.  If one is compromised the other two usually take up the slack.  Your balance has 1)vestibular, 2)muscular, and 3) eye sight.  So in dark places your balance is going to be off a bit.

TJ

spgreenfield

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 09:09:33 am »
Kathy you are wonderful to recommend that article!!!  Here's a quote I found in it that's encouraging to me because I've been struggling with words for a long time now....and all the docs have assured me that my struggle with words has NOTHING to do with my AN!

"Unlikely as it seems, vestibular damage can cause memory problems. Here is why. When you damage your vestibular system, keeping your balance is now largely a conscious effort, not the automatic effortless procedure it once was. Consequently, those areas of your brain that you once just used for thought and memory, now must constantly work on keeping you balanced. As a result, your memory may suffer. You may grope for words when talking. You may easily forget what is being spoken about during a conversation. You may be easily distracted. You may have difficulty comprehending directions or instructions. You may have trouble concentrating and may feel disoriented at times."
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

jmcneil189

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 07:48:55 pm »
In my personal experience, no. My eyes have become hypersensitive to most lightsources, due to the fact I was unable to close my left eye completely for over a year.

Lynn Mc

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 10:47:25 am »
That was a great expert!!!  So true.  I tooooo have trouble in the dark, although the night lights help!!  My memory definitely stinks...  & sometimes the words aren't there!!  Glad there is some sort of explanation!!  I was beginning to think I had Alzheimer's!!!
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

patt

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 09:32:39 am »
I am so glad that there is a place to share our stories.   I had 30 radiation treatments -- was doing great right after that, but now I am NOT.   My balance is off and my memory is terrible.  If I don't act on a thought -- it is gone.  For example, I am out of town with my husband - his work convention. I meant to bring extra contacts, but when I was thinking about them -- didn't pack them. Now I don't have a new one.  That is just one example.   I too was afraid that there is something else going on.  I am not getting any info from my Drs.   Great info from friends on here.  I will be seeing anew Dr at the Mayo Clinic in Dec.  lots of questions to ask him.   I have to write every thing down or I will never remember it.   Thanks everyone.

Patt  - age 63
Diagnosed - 3/22/2010  -- sudden hearing loss Rt ear
Right ear -- 2.7cm
Left ear -- limited hearing
Will be having "FSR" 
Starting date is June 1st, 2010
30 treatments  --  6 sites
July 12, 2010 -- Completed "FSR" treatments
Oct 2010 - MRI -Slight decrease in size

RAB

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 06:24:43 am »
Wow!  My Dr. told me my AN had NOTHING to do with my memory problems!  Right in front of my husband, who then said I can't use that as an excuse anymore!  I am going to make him read this!

Thanks,
Rosemary
1.8 x 1.2 x 1 AN right side. 
Diagnosed 10/1/08
Gamma Knife 6/4/10
Penn Medicine-  Drs. Judy, Bigelow, Alonso-Basante

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 05:01:42 pm »
Balance worse in dark places?  Absolutely.

Also worse when very fatigued.

Both are common.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nann

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 08:58:23 pm »
Does anyone experience noticeably worse unsteadiness while walking in dark environments?

Balance is definitley worse for me in the dark.

schmidtkat

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 11:46:22 am »
I just read some of the responses on this post and thought I'd share a laugh. This one's on me... One evening, on the way home from having shared Thanksgiving celebrations with my extended family, my immediately family stopped at a cemetary to change out the seasonal adornments for my parents and grandparents gravesites. Having indulged in round 2 of all the Thanksgiving delicacies, we departed later than expected. This resulted in our arrival at the cemetary in the dark. So for those of you who can relate to walking in the dark and on uneven ground you can probably guess what a challenge I had before me. At my parents' gravesite I nearly met my maker. I stubbled over the headstone and my husband caught me. He made some comment about my sober/drunk walking abilities and we headed to the next gravesite. My teenage son held on to me and encouraged me not to bump my head on one of the stones along the way. Who knew there could be so many laughs in a cemetary.
Kathy