Author Topic: Dad newly diagnosed-researching physicians  (Read 4282 times)

Courtney041180

Dad newly diagnosed-researching physicians
« on: October 25, 2011, 08:11:30 pm »
Hi...my dad was recently diagnosed with an AN.  We live in Oklahoma and are in the education and research part of the process.  I would love some open and honest opinions on physicians (pre and post treatment), staff, nursing, ect.  Thank you ahead of time for any information you may have!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Dad newly diagnosed-researching physicians
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 04:12:46 am »
Hi and welcome.

Although not knowing the specifics to your dad's AN situation (ie: size of tumor, exact location of tumor, etc), I can share that if you are near OKC, you have a terrific facility for treatment in St. Anthony Hospital.

If your's dad's tumor size is small and if he were to decide a radiation option for treatment, one of the best AN radiation doctors (well known on these forums) is located right there.  Dr. Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center(405) 272-7311, buddy@swrads.org or Mail to:Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.Southwest Radiation Oncology1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101Oklahoma City, OK 73102

I know of some that have been treated there that are active here on these forums (or have been in the past) and hope they chime in soon with their thoughts as well.

Again, welcome... and know... we are here to help.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 06:46:25 am »
Hi Courtney041180 and welcome to this forum .....

As Phyl said, the size of your dad's tumor and his symptoms will affect the decision-making process a great deal.

If you have not already done so, send for the free ANA information.  It will help you a great deal wading through the mounds of information on the Internet (much of which is less than accurate).  See:  http://www.anausa.org/index.php/contact-us

I was not a good candidate for radiation treatment so I had my most recent surgery at House Ear Institute in Los Angeles with excellent results.

This forum exists to support and encourage those who are dealing with acoustic neuromas and their family and friends so ask away on any questions you may have.

Clarice

Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Courtney041180

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 03:04:35 pm »
Thank you both so much for your input!!  My dad has been experiencing decreased hearing and dizziness.  The tumor is 2cm.  He had a surgical consult today and was told that he is a candidate for radiation.  I will pass Dr. Medbery's name onto him.  We are going to look into the different types of radiation and see what may be the best.  He is very active and enjoys spending time out on our family farm here in Oklahoma, pinning him down long enough to take care of this may be the hardest part!
Again, thank you both so much for your time.  Any and all information is greatly appreciated!

JAndrews

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 05:41:28 pm »
I also had excellent results from House in LA
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 07:37:33 pm »
Thank you both so much for your input!!  My dad has been experiencing decreased hearing and dizziness.  The tumor is 2cm.  He had a surgical consult today and was told that he is a candidate for radiation.  I will pass Dr. Medbery's name onto him.  We are going to look into the different types of radiation and see what may be the best. 

Dr. Medbery can easily be found on the Cyberknife forum. Now, don't let the name of the forum fool you as he performs many forms of radiation on AN's.  His username there is "radsrus".  The doctors on that forum volunteer their time to answer patient questions from all over.  Website:  http://www.cyberknife.com/forum.aspx  There is a section there solely dedicated to AN's.

Hang in there... and your dad is very lucky to have you doing this for him! :)
Phyl
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 07:39:37 pm by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Courtney041180

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 08:43:38 pm »
Phyl...
Thank you so so much.  I reviewed the Cyberknife forum last night and I was totally blown away by how much time Dr. Medbury has put into answering peoples questions!!  I think this is a wonderful characteristic...and my dad has an appointment with him next week!!!  Again, thank you so so much, and I will keep you up to date!!

Courtney Breckenridge RN, BSN

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 03:43:11 am »
Phyl...
Thank you so so much.  I reviewed the Cyberknife forum last night and I was totally blown away by how much time Dr. Medbury has put into answering peoples questions!!  I think this is a wonderful characteristic...and my dad has an appointment with him next week!!!  Again, thank you so so much, and I will keep you up to date!!

Courtney Breckenridge RN, BSN

Courtney

If you go with dad and when you see "Buddy" (Dr Medbery's nickname), please see if he is wearing his pink paisley tie... and if yes, comment that Phyl has good taste in ties :)  Yes, I have had the honor of meeting him during a medical conference that brought him to Boston as he was exceptionally helpful to me 6 years ago (wow!  :o ) when I was diagnosed and was doing my research for treatment. I could not thank him enough for all he has done for me in my AN journey....... He may not have treated me but was very instrumental in helping me make the best, well-informed decision that I could for me and my AN situation.  Since then, I have had the honor of corresponding/talking/meeting him and honestly, he is terrific.  But don't tell him I said that..... he won't believe I said something nice about him :)

Good luck with your dad's appt and please keep us posted as to what he says.

Phyl