Author Topic: Hand tremors: HELP!  (Read 24267 times)

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
Hand tremors: HELP!
« on: September 16, 2011, 12:57:47 pm »
Hi all,
I'm really depressed today because a post-surgery symptom has gotten worse. I have a call into my neurosurgeon's office describing the symptom and I'm waiting for them to get back to me. My right hand has a severe tremor. I can't do anything with it and it's so frustrating. I've come so far since the surgery, and through it all, I have tried to stay positive and haven't been scared. For some reason, this is getting to me. My husband was trying to see exactly what was happening and when, so he could describe it to the doctor, and when I saw my right hand shaking uncontrollably, I lost it. I was sobbing because I couldn't stop it. There was nothing I could do. I don't know why this is happening. I don't think it's a very common thing that happens after retrosigmoid surgery. I think maybe that's why I'm freaking out. I've read and been comforted by the stories of so many of you. It seemed like even though we heal differently, we all go through many common hurdles.

If anybody has dealt with hand tremors/shaking after surgery, how long after surgery did you start noticing it, what did you do, if anything, and did it eventually get better??

My surgery was for a right-side AN and my right hand is the one shaking.

I'd appreciate any responses or encouraging words, because today is a bad day for me. Thanks.
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Hand tremors: HELP!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 02:53:14 pm »
Hey, try to take a deep breath regain some control. Certainly this is way scary, and if you are really scared, maybe you should go to the ER on the chance this is not related to your surgery?

I did not have tremors during recovery, but I did have a lack of control and strength of my arm on the side of tumor, but that is all long gone now.

Hang in there,
Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 02:59:31 pm »
Hi! I'm sorry you are having a bad day - it happens to the best of us. It's ok to get down every now & then, but the trick is to not let it KEEP you down!

I don't know if I have what you are describing but my right side is substantially weaker than my left (I had a surgery induced stroke). My hand has a tendency to shake - noticeable but doesn't sound like what you have.  It used to be more frequent but now it happens when I'm really tired.

Sorry that probably doesn't help much!

K.  ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brewers7

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 07:38:09 pm »
My left thumb had tremors for a while.  It freaked me out at the time mainly because a young pain management doctor suspected Parkinsons.  My neurologist said it was not Parkinsons and it cleared up.  God bless you today.  Keep us posted.  Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 08:25:41 pm »
Ah, the dreaded "P" word. I haven't wanted to face that possibility. My father died two years ago from Parkinson's and his uncle also died from it. My father was in his late 80s when he first got it and died two weeks before his 90th birthday. His uncle (my great-uncle) was also in his late 80s. I'm praying that it's not Parkinson's. But, I know that's part of why I'm so scared. I watched my father die from it and I know how frightened he was at what was happening to him and there was nothing we could do. Plus i was doing pretty good before this. Everything was getting better little by little: my balance, my walking and my eye. My right side has always been a little weaker and uncoordinated than the left. My neurosurgeon knew about this. It's just gotten noticeably worse in the last month. This feels like 5 steps backward. I finally caved today and called his office. I think i've been hoping that the shaking would just go away. No such luck. I'm still waiting for my neurosurgeon to call back. I suppose Monday is the soonest I'll hear from them. I'll keep you all posted on what he says. I guess I'm feeling sorry for myself. Thanks for listening.  :)
Michele

My left thumb had tremors for a while.  It freaked me out at the time mainly because a young pain management doctor suspected Parkinsons.  My neurologist said it was not Parkinsons and it cleared up.  God bless you today.  Keep us posted.  Susan
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

Brewers7

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 03:20:16 pm »
Looks like we have had many of the same post op symptoms, so I imagine that your tremors will subside too.  Still praying for you.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Mei Mei

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 04:04:23 pm »
I wish I had more to add here, but I have had hand tremors only when taking Lithium.   Are you on any drugs that cause tremors?   
You are always welcome to call me and believe me, i know how you are feeling.

Hugs,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 06:56:24 pm »
Thanks for all your replies. I'm better now. I just had to vent. As soon as I hear back from my neurosurgeon, I'll let you all know what he says. I figure if someone else in the future has these symptoms, they'll know they aren't alone.

Ellen K

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 10:45:37 am »
There are two of who also have hand tremors: I am W&W and she is post-op.  I know how out of control you can feel.  I will PM you.
3mm diagnosed December 2010 when I was 45. Very unusual presentation - severe vertigo, then dizziness daily, now just occasional dizziness, but it can be debilitating some days. No hearing loss! But yes to ear fullness and wonky brain. Watch and wait.