Author Topic: Cross Your Fingers for me  (Read 7263 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Cross Your Fingers for me
« on: September 10, 2011, 05:49:40 am »
As we were walking yesterday at school , the principal came out office door and asked me to come see her ... I am thinking OK one of the girls were in trouble ... so we go in ... she said I hear you are going to be a grandmother ... I said I hope not ... one boys has 5 kids , one 2 and one has one ... love them to death but 8 is enough ...

she then said that a little bird told her I was going to go through school grand parent training ... it is a program where you get teacher aide training and are assigned to a school ... you have to do a minimum of 10 hours a week and are paid millage ... I am at school more hours than that already doing pretty much what I could get paid for ... but the way the program is set up , if I was having a wonky day and couldn't make it I wouldn't have to go in ... I drive kids in the morning and they ride bus home ... this would pay for my gas it takes to get them there ...  I could work mornings and come in to do all the fun stuff like house cleaning and laundry ... maybe even get me a nap in ...

you are suppose to be 55 or older .... I am only going to be 50 in November ... the principal is working on a waiver because she can't find a 55 or older person willing to do it ... another school got a waiver ... we have one Granny that is 75 and gets around better than I do ... she lost her husband 3 years ago and was as she put it was  " sitting at home rotting" ... I volunteer at school and occasionally take half days subbing ...and like her I do it for the mental lift it gives me , but with our finances  money would be nice too ... keep your fingers crossed that waiver goes through ...have already signed up for training and can do it whether get waiver or not ... with clear back ground check and school approval you can start before you complete training

I haven't worked since surgery ... this would be a step at returning to normal ... and although people tell me it is all in my head and I am useful , it  will make me feel useful ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Cross Your Fingers for me
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 06:25:04 am »
WOW, Soundy ..... this opportunity seems "tailor made" for you!  Many, many prayers that the waiver goes through and you can begin to receive pay for what you have already been doing!

As a retired teacher, I have thought long and hard about returning in some form to the classroom/school.  However, with my vestibular situation, I am afraid I might be more liability than most schools would want.  Since my husband is retired, as well, we travel a good bit to see the grandkids, etc. so a job with regular responsibilities would change our current lifestyle.

I can really identify with the need to feel useful again.  This reshaping of our lives is an ever-moving journey.  Ten years ago I never dreamed I would be doing what I am today ...... going a totally different direction, but feeling useful again!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 06:49:57 am »
Soundy, this sounds like the perfect opportunity for you and you'd be perfect for it.

I hope everything works out; sending prayers.

Keep us posted,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 03:38:55 pm »
Soundy-
This sounds so great!! I'm ALWAYS looking for a part-time job that'll fit into my schedule w/girlies so this is a wonderful thing for you! I'll be praying for just that. I just found out yesterday that I got "invited" to substitute training here - they have so many people applying, you have to be invited! Last year, I was too late to even apply! 

Hope it all works out for you!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 03:50:49 pm »
Soundy ~

This seems to be a great opportunity for you!  Not only are my fingers crossed but prayers will be said on your behalf for securing this position.  I know you'll keep us updated.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brewers7

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 05:46:49 pm »
Soundy,
       This opportunity sounds awesome.  It gave me some ideas.
Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 08:02:23 pm »
I was leafing through my MIL's AARP magazine today - there was an article about a rent-a-granny program in California. It's very popular, women 50+ on a register for fill-in work such as nanny's week off or respite care for the elderly.

I have a very good feeling about that waiver, but I'll pray very hard anyway!

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 07:34:50 am »
Absolutely go for it! You are already up there so much, why not pick up gas and grocery money while you are at it?  You would be perfect and they already want you to apply.  Win-win!
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

schmidtkat

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 11:27:44 am »
Soundy,
This opportunity sounds like such a good fit for you. You have so much to offer and the kids have so much to gain. Prayers going out for you ~ Kathy

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 05:53:14 pm »
Soundy~
Have you heard anything?

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 05:32:13 am »
I was going to do the Child Protection part of training but they accepted my BSA child Protection training ... I teach it to incoming leaders and after a few minutes of verbal testing she passed me ...

the other training I have to go trough I can't start until I turn 50 ... November 12 needs to get here soon ... the training is 3 to 5 weeks depending on how many people are taking it ... the lady I have talked to says when they have a small group they can cover material in as few as 3 weeks

principal is holding position for me assuming that with 6 kids and 8 grand kids that I will breeze through the training ... it mostly deal with how to work with kids ... many days I am working with them right now ... it will be nice to get paid ... the one thing that might knock me out of the program is if Bo's income is too high ... It is a state run program to get displaced older citizens working instead of sitting at home ...if you have other income it is put through their system and adjusted according to dependents you have ... they won't put it through until after my birthday ...

odd hoping Bo's income is low enough that I can do what I am doing  and get paid for it... and also weird hoping my birthday comes fast this year  ... 

so I guess short answer is I am in a holding pattern ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Jim Scott

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 01:25:32 pm »
Soundy ~

Yes, it is kind of weird hoping to be both older and poorer than you are but this is a special circumstance and it makes sense.  Here's hoping this all works out for you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 04:22:20 pm »
Here are hopes and prayers that all turns out best for you, Soundy.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Soundy

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 02:46:02 pm »
well I am old enough but not poor enough... Bo makes too much ... :(

I wish they would have ran income first and I wouldn't be looking forward to this opportunity ... seems a backward way to do things ... she said she had to make sure that I was healthy enough (my doctor cleared me) and check my references before doing the income part ... 

before hanging up with the woman this morning she asked me if our relationship was stable... I said yes and she said "well if that changes get back in touch with us" ... grrrrr ...that kinda made me mad ... but life goes on and I will continue to work at school as needed for free and pick up the odd sub day here and there

Translab July 2 ,2007

Jim Scott

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 03:19:56 pm »
Soundy ~

I'm sorry to learn that you lost this opportunity based simply on your husband's income.  Apparently the program is aimed at 'single mothers' that are in a low income bracket.  I won't comment on that aspect of the situation but I can commiserate because over the years, I've also lost out on opportunities due to my age and/or financial status.  It happens.  We grumble and move on - as I know you will, hopefully to something even better.

Jim