Author Topic: Labyrinchectyomy  (Read 3290 times)

bkimball

Labyrinchectyomy
« on: September 07, 2011, 11:45:39 am »
Has anyone ever heard of Dr. Jennifer Smullen at Mass Eye and ear? And what about the procedure above? I have to have my whole cochlea removed? She sounds very confident but want to come out of the surgery as good as possible, I'm very active.
BAK
BAK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Labyrinchectyomy
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 12:43:47 pm »
Do you have an acoustic neuroma?

I've never heard of having a labyrinchectyomy (don't even know what that is) for an AN.

I'm from Illinois but in all the time I've been on the Forum - over 4 years now - I don't recall seeing anything about Dr. Smullen; it's a new name to me.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 02:57:23 pm »
Jan ~

From an internet site about Meniere' Disease:

Labyrinthectomy is a surgical choice for Meniere’s patients if there is total or almost total hearing loss. The surgery goes through the Mastoid bone and the inner ear (the labyrinth) is opened up. At this point the semicircular canals are drilled away leaving the nerve balance which is completely removed. No hearing is spared during this procedure.  What has been found to be more effective is the gentamicin injection procedure, which is a non-surgical procedure that can be done in a doctor’s office.

BAK ~

Could you elaborate on what condition you are dealing with?  It would appear to be Meniere's Disease but you didn't state that.  As you can see, there is an alternative to the Labyrinthectomy you're considering but we're not doctors and cannot advise you on this.  In addition, although we want to help, if possible, our collective experience is with acoustic neuroma, which is similar to Meniere's Disease but not identical.  However, with a bit more information, some of our members may be able to answer your questions and offer some advice.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 03:47:48 pm »
Thanks for the info, Jim.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways