Author Topic: Dr. Kalmon Post  (Read 11626 times)

jerseyboy

Dr. Kalmon Post
« on: August 22, 2009, 07:46:27 pm »
Has anyone had any experience with Dr. Kalmon Post?  He's with Mount Sinai in NYC, and I'm hearing good things.  I'm looking for the best doctor in the NYC area.  Many doctors appear very capable, but single dimensional.  My AN symptoms are weird - like a floating headache that I have most of the time.  Also occasional vertigo.  It's complex.  I just returned from the Chicago symposium and everyone there seemed to have hearing symptoms.  I want someone who can connect the dots.  Thanks.
Jeff
Watch and wait since May 2009.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Dr. Kalmon Post
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 08:21:54 pm »
Hi Jeff and welcome! Good to see you here and hoping you find the info you are researching. I cannot note about Dr. Post but hoping others here can.  I'm not sure if I got to meet you last weekend in Chicago but did want to welcome you to the forums.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jerseyboy

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 08:37:40 pm »
Thanks, Phyl.  Congratulations on your award at symposium!  We didn't actually meet, but did attend the CK session with Dr. Blevins together.  I was the guy to your left who asked several questions, and referred to difficult headache/balance issues.  I'm now actively looking into treatment, preferably in the NYC area.  Any thoughts on an experienced CK doctor in that area?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 08:47:00 pm »
Jeff! I remember you! Good to see you here and welcome!  You heard so much about the forums last weekend... glad you decided to come join us. (thanks for the congrats as well..... been blushing too much around here this week from it!) :)

Ok, I went to the CK website (www.cyberknife.com) and did a "search" for locations by the state of NY and did find 4 locations... from Syracuse to Yonkers to Mineola to Johnson City.  I personally am not familiar with the teams there.  As noted last weekend in Chicago and as the ANA (and the folks here) note, you want to make sure you are in the hands of an experienced team..... so, whomever (or is that whoever ) you decide to speak, quiz them on the number of AN's that they have treated, ask them for patient references that they have treated, etc.  Some folks stay close to home for financial or other reasons... some travel (you heard of many that travel to Stanford, etc for treatment) if feasible.  I believe Mt Sinai has a good radio team and may be worth checking.

Great to see you here and again, welcome! :)
Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jerseyboy

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 09:06:54 pm »
Phyl,
Thank you again!  You, and all the folks at the ANA, are so wonderful it just astonishes me.  I have tears in my eyes as I type this. Being diagnosed with an AN, experiencing the symptoms, and then finding such a terrific support group, is quite an emotional experience.  And, the Chicago symposium hugely exceeded my expectations.  Thank you so, so very much.  I love you all!
Jeff

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 05:45:42 am »
I had my surgery at Mt. Sinai and the treatment and service was absolutely top-notch. My Neurosurgeon was Dr. Bederson and the ENT surgeon was Dr. Smouha. They were both fantastic. While I did not use Dr. Post I know that he works with Dr. Smouha on AN surgeries and I have only heard good things about him. I hope this helps and please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about my experience at Mt. Sinai.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 09:11:08 am »
Hi Jeff and welcome  ;D

I am unfamiliar with Dr. Post, but then again I live in Chicago and had my surgery with Dr. Battista (tall, thin, blond guy spoke at the symposium Saturday morning about new hearing options).

The docs I have heard the most about on the Forum from your area are Roland & Golfinos, Sisti, and Selesnick.   I just searched for threads on Dr. Post and Mt. Sinai and there aren't a whole lot.  I'm not knocking Dr. Post at all, but in keeping with the ANA's recommendation that you find a doctor with lots of AN experience to treat you, it would be wise to consult with a few doctors.  You should also make sure you consult with doctors who do surgery as well as radiation.

Sorry I didn't meet you in Chicago - perhaps in Cincinnati in 2011.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

another NY postie

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 08:33:57 pm »
Wayne Crimi used him and loved him...send him a PM...he preserved his hearing.  He is one of the top dr. for this but he only does trans lab and retro.  I was very impressed with him.  I also spoke with another woman, not on this site, but who had AN surgery a few years ago with him and couldn't say enough about him.  I had a neurosurgeon in Brooklyn tell my friend to tell me that he was the only one she would let operate on her if she had an AN.

I would say in NYC, the drs that do the most AN surgeries are Post (MT Sinai), Roland/Golfinos (NYU), Sisti (Columbia Presp), Selesnick/Steig (Cornell), and Sen. (Stl Lukes).   I am opting for Brackmann at House because I want Middle Fosa and the guys in NYC didn't do enough of them per year for my comfort leel.

Good luck.
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 06:09:49 am »
Wayne Crimi used him and loved him...send him a PM...he preserved his hearing.  He is one of the top dr. for this but he only does trans lab and retro. 

So does this mean that Dr. Post saved Wayne's hearing with the retrosigmoid approach?   If so, very impressive; doesn't happen very often.

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

another NY postie

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 06:31:16 am »
Yes, Dr. Post is very confident.  Of all the dr I have seen in NYC - which is most of them - I felt the most comfortable with him..he is very confident and has been doing it for a long time.  He works with either Smouha or Ch...(can't remember how to spell her name) for neurontologist - he did save Wayne's hearing and he has an impressive success rate with no headaches post surgery.  He just doesn't do middle fosa.  I think he says now he does about 30 ANs a year. Mt.Sinai also has a great reputation hospital -wise.
Oh, also he used to be head of neurology at hospital until last couple of years - he is a bit older (I would say around 65)

I also liked Dr. Roland/NYU
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 05:25:19 pm »
Hi Jeff-

First of all, sorry you have to be a member of our little "club", but glad you found us.  Sorry I did not meet you in Chicago - so many people!

I went with Goflinos/Roland @ NYU (and extremely pleased), but have heard all good things about Mt. Sinai.  Best thing is to get several consults - it is worth the time and expense.  I got three consults before I decided on the NYU team - and have no regrets. 

Wendysig also had surgery at Mt Sinai - with Dr Choe and she was really happy with results.  I am sure she will give you more info if you pm her.And Wayne, too of course (wcrimi).

Best of luck in settling on a team.  Let me know if I can help in any way.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wcrimi

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 06:00:04 pm »
I just saw this thread and figured I should add something.

I couldn't possibly be more pleased with Dr Post, Dr. Smouha, and Mt Sinai. They were all great and YES, they saved my hearing.  The hearing on the operated side was about 50% post surgery, but as the months passed it kept improving.  I would say right now I can't notice any difference on either side.  It's probably 95% or better. 
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 12:51:10 pm »
Wow!  Great news on your hearing, Wayne  ;D

Thanks for the update.

Jan