Author Topic: Wake Forest / Duke / Pittsburg ?  (Read 3028 times)

Boerin

Wake Forest / Duke / Pittsburg ?
« on: August 30, 2011, 01:08:35 pm »
Hi everybody! Thank you for this forum, it has given me much needed information and peace of mind. Just got diagnosed with 2,2 cm AN...so yeah I am in that decision phase. I am opting for radiosurgery and I am wondering whether anyone could help with any information about Wake Forest's reputation when it comes to Radiosurgery? Another option for me might also be Duke...I am also wondering about Pittsburg... best and most experienced??? 
Any feedback would be invaluable! thanks so much.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Wake Forest / Duke / Pittsburg ?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 03:08:02 pm »
Hi Boerin and welcome to this forum .....

Wake Forest Med Center has an outstanding reputation for gamma knife, as does University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (specifically Dr. Kondziolka).  Stanford University in CA has an outstanding reputation with cyberknife.  All of them will give free consultations if you send your MRIs to them.

Duke is well known for neurosurgery.

Best wishes as you make your decision.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sarahinPA

Re: Wake Forest / Duke / Pittsburg ?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 09:48:00 am »
Hi boerin!!

I recieved gamma knife from dr kondziolka at upmc in Pittsburgh! He is an amazing doctor and very compassionate. He told me he has done 11,000 GK procedures and has over 98% success rate.  I hate to say that I was one of the 9 patients he has that has had regrowth after gamma knife, but he referred me to yet another amazing team of doctors and I'm doing great, 5 weeks post surgery!  If you want more information please feel free to pm me, and there we can even exchange numbers to discuss dr k and uPmc a little more! Good luck and I hope to hear from u!!!
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.