Author Topic: Philadelphia, PA - Dr's Bigelow and Lee ?  (Read 5244 times)

paul71

Philadelphia, PA - Dr's Bigelow and Lee ?
« on: April 12, 2011, 02:58:49 pm »
I am currently seeing Dr Bigelow out of the University of Pennsylvania and am scheduled to see Dr Lee his associate next week.

Does anyone have any experience or opinion on these doctors?

lori67

Re: Philadelphia, PA - Dr's Bigelow and Lee ?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 04:32:32 pm »
Hi Paul and welcome!

I don't know anything about your doctors, but I know the hospital is great.  My mom had heart surgery there about 2 years ago and I was very impressed with the staff and my mom's outcome.

Hopefully someone else will be a bit more helpful!   :-[

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

paul71

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:02:16 pm »
I now have a 2nd opinion scheduled with Dr Andrews of Thomas Jefferson.

I am curious - since I am cynical and over analyze things - if Andrews is so good, why would anyone NOT go to him? I am just curious.

I now hear that Temple University offers it too?

I am not getting a good vibe from the folks at Penn. No offense to em. That's just me.

I don't know. This is all so overwhelming and confusing.

suboo73

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 07:54:18 am »
Hi paul71,

Welcome to the AN Forum!  - but sorry you had to join this exclusive club.
I am here with my sister, BigSister, and she has experience with Dr. Bigelow.
It is my understanding that she likes him and was satisfied with the referral from her local doc.

You can send her a PM (Personal Message) by clicking in the upper left hand corner.
-------------------
I am grateful to my sister, who was diagnosed 6 months prior to me...
My symptoms appeared years earlier but were so mild that that were dismissed as a sign of 'getting older.'
My sister was diagnosed within 6 months or less and was the first one to describe an AN to me.

Please continue to read and post your questions - we have 'been there, done that' and I am still asking questions!

Prayers all around as you continue on your AN journey.

Sue O.

PS If you want to speak directly to my sister, send me an e-mail or PM and I will get in touch with her.
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

STG

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 04:33:37 am »
Hello Paul71,

I am seeing Dr.Bigelow tomorrow, he was recommended by my E.N.T. and also heard that my co-worker had a successful surgery done by him. In the past three months I have lost 40% of my left hearing bringing up to 90% since last year when I was first diagnosed. Let us know how you make out.

STG   
5mm left AN/diagnosed 4/10, 2nd MRI 9/10 no change 30% hearing loss
4/11 MRI doubled in size, 90% hearing loss, balance issues, facial numbness
Translab surgery May 18th at UP Philadelphia.

mertzirose

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 05:24:24 pm »
Hello Paul71,

My son Ken was recently diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma about 4.5 to 5 centimeters.  My primary doctor referred us to Dr. Donald O'rourke at University of Penn and he in turn referred us to Dr. Doug Bigelo., In fact we just went to see him last week and were very pleased with him.  He took time to talk to us and explain my sons surgery and what will we can expect post surgery.  Ken is 22 years old so we wanted him to have a say in who is treating him.  We too were also referred to Dr.Andrews at Jerrerson, but we did some research on our docs and Ken decided he wanted to go with Penn and the two docs.  They said it will be a long surgery possibly 8 to 10 hrs. and he will lose his hearing.  Most of it is already gone in his left ear, but we have every confidence in both doc.  I believe they will do whats best.  I am wishing luck and will pray for you as you continue on this journey.  Please keep me posted if you like.  Ee are still awaiting when Ken's surgery will take place.

Take care and God bless!!

Roseann
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 12:45:35 pm by Jim Scott »

rozpoz

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 01:38:11 pm »
I also am seeing Dr Bigelow - watching and waiting for next 4 months but I also am wondering if I should get a second opinion with Dr. Andrews. 
How has the process gone with Penn/Bigelow?  Anything more to add about Andrews & Jeff?
thx
rozpoz