Author Topic: The cost of Dr. Shahinian's surgery  (Read 2505 times)

jerseygirl

The cost of Dr. Shahinian's surgery
« on: August 17, 2011, 05:45:46 pm »
Hi everybody,

Has anybody been to SBI recently and what amount (if any) did you pay for surgery out of pocket? Alternatively, has anybody been put off by the the cost that was asked to be paid upfront  even though the person is insured?

Somebody just called me inquiring about how things went with me and when he quoted the amount he thought he had to pay upfront, I was left speechless. If I had to pay this, I would never be able to afford it. In fact, only independently wealthy (not your average American) would be able to afford it. This is really disturbing. It is more than expensive (I thought my surgery was expensive), this is outrageous. Maybe, this person misunderstood. Understandably, he is very nervous and anxious. So, I am asking for your feedback. I really don't want to quote the amount here because it might be inaccurate.

Thanks in advance!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.