Author Topic: Back to work and WIPED OUT  (Read 3983 times)

amymeri

Back to work and WIPED OUT
« on: July 11, 2006, 12:54:57 pm »
3 days ago I worked cleaning out the barn where my horse lives.  4 hours of heavy lifting and hard work and I felt fine (energized in fact) during the work, just a little tired after, and fine the next day.

TODAY I went back to my office job, shuffled papers and reorganized and after 5 hours I was so wiped out I had to come home.

What's up with that?  I think maybe the mental work is actually a little harder and more tiring! 

Anyone notice that mental activity is more exhausting than physical?

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Karla83401

Re: Back to work and WIPED OUT
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 01:44:31 pm »
Hi Amy,

I had my surgery eight weeks ago today and am finding the same thing true with me. I can mow the 3/4 acre lawn and feel pretty darn good but to read or do computor stuff exhausts me horribly. I have started in to a real estate class that is 4 hours a day and I am finding that I am really wiped out.

I also fight dizziness and the world can spin very fast if I do some physical labor that causes me to move my head too much.

Karla

diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area
1.4x.1.1x1.1cm brain area
waiting for surgery in May 06

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 02:22:02 pm »
amymeri,
  I don't know how long ago you have been treated for your AN.  But it's normal to feel tired for some time.  I found that in the first few weeks of post surgery recovery that I would try some new things, like walk around the block, and then feel that I had reached some brain processing limit where I had to go sleep it off for a few hours.  I also find that different things can have differing effects on me.  Taking a hike, no problem.  Working on the computer for a few hours, and then I can feel a little more wonky headed.
  Give it some time.  It gets better.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

matti

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 02:35:52 pm »
Physical activity does not bother me at all, but mental activity really wipes me out.  I can not be on the computer or read for more than 15 minutes at a time, or else I will feel extremely tired, yet I can spend hours working in the yard or doing other very physical projects and not feel tired at all.

My doctors told me that what I am experiencing is normal and should lessen with time.  Geez, it's been 8 years, how long to do I have to wait ???

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 03:18:20 pm »
uh oh matti if you can do yard work then I'm in big trouble!!!  I have trouble with yard work and computer stuff  LOL  I will sayt that maxed out feeling leading to naps sounds very very familar!

Karla are you still planning on college in the fall?  I'm thinking about going back and worry it might be too much.

Mousiez

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 03:21:52 pm »
this is normal, don't worry, you just need to rest some during the day, eat snacks to build stregnth, be kind to your body.

amymeri

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 03:27:30 pm »
The snack thing is right on...I notice that while before I could go hours without eating, now I really need something every couple hours and I really need protein in the morning.  It is so strange because I used to be a coffee and toast person but now need yogurt or ham or something other that carbs to get me going!

I am lucky because I only work 6 hours, twice a week, until September.  But it really freaked me out that the "easy" job was more tiring than the physical stuff.  Your responses made me feel a lot more "normal".

Oh BTW Batty Princess:  I could hear just fine wih my
 stethoscope!  Hooray!!

Amy
Amy

Static

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 08:06:42 pm »
Physical or mental, I'm drained with both!  Was working until I got laid off (office work) but it was exhausting.  I also had to walk to the 3rd floor everyday and steps were never a big deal to me until I had that surgery.  I was winded from it every time, never did get used to it, and no I don't smoke.  I feel l ike I've aged 10 years+ since I had surgery :/
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 08:50:44 pm »
amy do you have ssd in your ear and can still hear or are you hearing with one ear?  I have tinnitus in both ears and did medical assisting and have contemplating going back to school for medical assisting.

Karla83401

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 10:52:11 pm »
Hi Batty and everyone,

I am doing really quite well I think. I seem to somewhat struggle with depression since the surgery which is causing some frustration for me. I am not normally down but I think it was because I was so limited on activity for a while.

I have started my real estate classes which last for about 6 weeks. They are 4 hours a day for 4 days a week. So far I seem to be doing really quite well. I just limit my brain work for that class.

I am going back to school this fall full time. I am going to ask for some special sitting because of hearing issues still. Crowds, loud noises or simply more than one noise going on seems to overwhelm my brain.

How are you doing? I have been trying to check that site on a somewhat regular basis but it is limited.

Take care and thanks for being such a great friend to me and my family,

Karla
diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area
1.4x.1.1x1.1cm brain area
waiting for surgery in May 06

amymeri

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 05:16:36 am »
BattyP

I am totally deaf in my right ear and have some tinnitus in that ear that sounds like cicada insects humming.  My hearing in the normal ear is good.  Do you have any hearing left in the affected ear? Are you worried the tinnitus will drown out the breath/heart sounds?  You ought to get ahold of a scope and try it.  I do have a very nice Littman Adv. Cardiology scope.  Even with normal ears I couldn't hear in the cheaper scopes! ::)

Amy
Amy

lee

• awareness
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 06:17:56 am »
karla - i'm presugery(if i have it at all) but am getting phsyiscal therapy for my balance and eye strength. simple tracking while looking at a picture and i more from the center to the edge and back 10x's up/down/rt/left and then diaganol always going just to the outer edge and back to the center. another excercise is looking at a picture and fousing n the whole and then on a art of the whole and then back again. 10x's changing the part of the whole each time. those are just 2 vestibular exercises that may help strengthen your mental energy too. i know my brain is tired after i do a set. it's to help my recovery of my bell's as it def. made my left eye weaker. as others have said - give it time, emotions play into everything. . .

to the person who feels dizzy - i'm def a part of that club and i have found sitting on ground level helps - i have a very flat back yard and for me it's a huge difference in less motion when i sit on my pation low to the ground then on a chair on  my deck that is high up. boy, what i have taken for granted th elast 43 years.  good thoughts everyone
lee
2x3mm an
symptoms:dizziness/dull headache/bell's (4 wks)subsided
steriods/waiting/another mri 8/31/06