Author Topic: BP 3 Power  (Read 11618 times)

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
BP 3 Power
« on: July 31, 2011, 10:53:58 pm »
Well, I got good news from my audiologist.  The BP3 Power  demo model is sitting on her desk.  It's got my name on it!!!  When I get back to San Diego at the end of the week, she will give it to me for a couple of weeks to demo to see if it's an improvement over the BP 3.  Stay tuned.....so to speak ;D
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: BP 3 Power
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 06:00:58 am »
Dale .....

So anxious to find out how much more power these new models have.  I have been wondering if it is sort of like sound system speakers where the advice has been to have more power capability to be able to use less gain for better clarity (not sure I'm saying that correctly ..... hope you know what I mean).

If I understood the Oticon rep correctly, I will have 90 days after my "turn on" on Thursday to exchange my Ponto Pro for the new Ponto Pro Power, if I decide I want it.  I am going to quiz the audiologist extensively about it.

Best wishes!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ksiwek

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 10:36:27 am »
Dale!  I am hoping that you will see improvement with the Power device!  I am anxious to hear your feedback.  I go to my audiologist in a couple of weeks to get my software upgrade for my ponto.  I am going to see if they can have a demo for me to try while I am in the office.  I just want to 'hear' the difference, not that I think I need it, but I am curious :D!

Clarice, good luck and please do let us know what your audiologist has to say about the power devices and how your fitting goes!!!

Best,
Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 11:42:09 am »
I'll be trying the BP3 Power this Wednesday.  I'll find out if I can take it home and try it for week.  I hope it's better than my Intenso.  We'll see.......;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 10:51:57 pm »
Thanks for all your comments.  I would highly recommend if you are going to try the power model (either Oticon or Cochlear), that you DO try to take it home at LEAST for a few days, if not longer.  I think that is really the best way to tell, rather than just in an office for a few minutes. 

Clarice, can't wait to "hear" what you have to say after getting turned on!!!!
~Dale
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 06:52:33 am »
Ken -

I'm jealous that you get to try the BP3 Power before I do.  I didn't even ask my audiologist about it - I'm afraid I'd love it and wouldn't be able to afford it.  Guess I'll be sticking with my BP100 for a while.

I'm still anxious to hear what you think of the BP3 Power, though.

Please make sure you update us - same goes for you Dale.

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 08:50:32 am »
Will do.  My situation is a little different.  I think Cochlear will make an even trade with me.  I have had my BP100/3 for almost a year and it has been replaced twice and sent in for repairs multiple times.  I think they are going to try to placate me.  When they sent the BP Power to my audiologist, it was knowing I would be the first to demo the unit.  I will keep you posted.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

Kencutus

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 01:55:03 am »
Ken -

I'm jealous that you get to try the BP3 Power before I do.  I didn't even ask my audiologist about it - I'm afraid I'd love it and wouldn't be able to afford it.  Guess I'll be sticking with my BP100 for a while.

I'm still anxious to hear what you think of the BP3 Power, though.

Please make sure you update us - same goes for you Dale.

Thanks,

Jan

Well Jan and everybody,

I tried the new BP3 Power today and I can tell that I'm impressed.  They wouldn't let me take it home today.   However, my audiologist told me that I can come back this Friday so I can try it for the weekend.  Matter of fact, I was the first from Ear Institute of Chicago to try it out.  They have other people who wants to try it out tomorrow and Friday morning.  They only had one test model so I'll be able to test drive over the weekend.  I guess I have the same wow factor like you Jan when you went from Divino to your BP 100.  I noticed the differences right away.  It was kinda cool because she changed the settings right from the computer and the BP 3 Power had something connected to it like wireless device working from the PC.  She have set the BAHA according to my last hearing test result.  I am due for another hearing test soon. ;)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 07:00:40 am »
Ken -

we are both firsts.  I was the first one to try the Ponto Pro and the BP100 at Chicago Ear.  We should ask for a commission LOL

The move from the Divino to the BP100 was huge, so I understand the wow factor you are talking about.  If you make the switch, would you be getting one new processor or two? 

Dale -

I think you are right.  Cochlear will most likely want to make you happy due to their past mistakes with your BP100 and upgrade you either free or very cheaply.

Can't wait to hear your assessment since you already wear the BP100.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kencutus

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 09:28:22 am »
Ken -

we are both firsts.  I was the first one to try the Ponto Pro and the BP100 at Chicago Ear.  We should ask for a commission LOL

The move from the Divino to the BP100 was huge, so I understand the wow factor you are talking about.  If you make the switch, would you be getting one new processor or two? 

Jan

If I were to get the processor today, I would only get one for my better hearing side(right side).  I'm not really in the hurry to get one but, I'm gonna ask them if they can submit a claim to my insurance company just to replace one of my Intenso.  See if they will replace it since I had it sent out 3 times for repairs within the past two years.  We'll see if they will pay or not.  If not, I'll have to wait a few years so I can pay outta my own pockets. 

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 01:51:34 pm »
So, is the Power and actual 'upgrade' or is it more for people who don't have great hearing in their good ear?

I don't have any baha device yet, but hope to within the next year.  I watch all these topics and I have to say I am not impressed lately how many issues have been posted concerning the Cochlear products.....hmmmm
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Kencutus

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 02:18:38 pm »
So, is the Power and actual 'upgrade' or is it more for people who don't have great hearing in their good ear?

What I mean is that I have a better hearing in my right ear than the left side.  I never wore a hearing aid on the left side all my life(47 years) until two years ago when I went bilateral.  I have a moderated severe hearing loss that requires more power than Divino or BP100.  I have a pair of Intenso.  They asked me which side did I want to test it and I told the right side is better since I have been wearing hearing aid on that side.  I could get two brand new ones if I wanted to. If it's an option, I would go for two but right now, I'll take a step at a time and see how it works out. ;)

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 10:44:57 pm »
The power is similar to the Intenso in power, but it is programmable and the Intenso is not.  I do have good hearing in one ear, but have always felt I needed more power on the BP100.  When they have upped the program, I have had way too much feedback.  I'll let you know.
Dale
Tarzana, CA

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 04:07:09 pm »
OK, I'm plugged in to the BP 3 Power.  In size, it's similar to the BP100/3, just a little longer.  Same width and depth.  The sound is very crisp.  I had tried the Intenso and it was not so clear for me.  It sounded tinny.  This one is clear, crisp and good word discrimination for me.  The power is definitely better/greater than my BP 100/3.  I will be "borrowing" this processor until September 1st, so I will keep you posted.  So far, nothing adverse to say, it's all good.  Keep your fingers crossed.
Dale
Tarzana, CA

Kencutus

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 05:52:02 pm »
Hi Dalern,

Hope you are enjoying your BP110 as well I am.  I can only test mine for the weekend but that's ok with me.  I have posted a blog at Cochlear Community.  Here's the link;  http://www.cochlearcommunity.com/Kencutus/weblog/13134.html