Author Topic: BP 3 Power  (Read 11616 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BP 3 Power
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 09:24:14 pm »
Dale & Ken -

sounds like good reviews so far on the BP 3 Power. 

I'm also relieved to hear that it's an upgrade for the Intenso - and therefore not really something that would be necessary for me.  I was kind of ticked off to hear that Cochlear had already upgraded the BP100, but it sounds like that isn't really the case.  Makes me much happier  ;D

Anyway, keep us updated as time goes on.

And, Ken, thanks for the link to the Cochlear Community - I would have missed it; haven't been on there in a while.  Not enough hours in the day  ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 09:35:22 am »
Kencutus, let me know if you are getting any "feedback" or whistling with the Power model.  I get feedback when I'm really close tot he computer or when there are loud noises.  I may need to have it tweaked.

Jan,
My audiologist said it was originally meant for people who needed the Intenso, but that they are also now saying that it is for people like me who just could not get enough power from the BP 100/3.  I always felt like I needed more volume, but if the volume was up too high, I got too much feedback.  So....it's not a BP3 replacement, but an enhancement for those that need more power.  I DO have good hearing in my good ear.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 10:21:04 am »
Kencutus, let me know if you are getting any "feedback" or whistling with the Power model.  I get feedback when I'm really close tot he computer or when there are loud noises.  I may need to have it tweaked.

I am getting some feedback sound when I hear certain sounds.  Last night, I had my stereo playing in my living with surround speakers and subwoofer,   certain pitch in instrument would cause some feedback.  I guess it's matter of adjusting the volume on the BP110.  I haven't gotten any feedback from my phone or PC, yet.  I picked up my electric guitar last night and jammed on it for a little while, no feedback and it sounded great!  Still doing more trial until Monday. Stay tuned for more................. ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

Kencutus

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 12:58:32 pm »
Today, I had to return the BP110/BP3 Power to my audiologist office.  I did write a letter to Chris Hasson at Cochlear.  He is one of the Baha Manager and currently wears a BP100 model.  This is what I wrote;

First of all, I want to thank my audiologists at Ear Institute of Chicago (www.chicagoear.com) for letting me test the new BP110 over the weekend.  It was a perfect opportunity to use it since I had to work this past weekend.  My audiologist only set the model to my last hearing test from two years ago and I wore it on the right side since I have a better hearing on the right than the left.  During the testing for three days, I have my Intenso on the left side.  It was a mixed bag of sounds coming in to both sides.  I did experience a little feedback problem due to having it bit too loud so I had to adjust the volume settings. When I had it too loud, the banging and loud noise sounded like cymbal crashing all the time until I adjusted the volume.  I understand the model is almost identical to the BP100 with the same features like the buttons on the top and little blue and orange lights on the side (gotta love the lights! Really feel like the Star Trek; Borg!). The button were somehow hard to press at times due to being small in size (big fingers). I prefer the dial or the wheel for the volume rather than the buttons.  The sound quality was about 50% better than the Intenso. I can understand better on my cellphone and one from work.  I had a little trouble with PTT(Push to talk) feature on the cellphone on some individuals and others, I did fine. As far as talking on the cellphone, it was a little better than my Intenso.  Now, for the cafeteria setting, I can understand some people a little better with some background noise. I did not change the setting on the unit, I just let it be.  As far as being around some different people, I find myself struggling to understand some people and others, it was ok or no problem.  Since I work in the hospital, I found myself in the Mammography department over the weekend and they always have music playing in the overhead speakers.  I can understand it more clearly (and it wasn't that loud) than the Intenso.  For the home environment, It was much better because I can understand my TV and stereo system better.  I can hear the bass better than the Intenso.  I cannot hear the bass sounds with the Intenso, it's more deafen or not at all.  Last Friday while I was cutting my grass with my gasoline lawn mower, I was able to understand my neighbor talking at a little louder tone over the lawn mower running and hear my dogs barking with my back turned. For the most part, I would say it was about 50% better. If I had bilateral BP110, it would probably be much better, I don't know.  If I were to go back for another hearing test and be fitted with two BP110 for a few weeks, things would be a bit different and maybe, much better. It's getting better, I was almost like a normal hearing person.   If you like more information or more questions about my experiences, please email me back and Thank you.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 08:21:32 pm »
Ken -

who's your audiologist @ Chicago Ear? 

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kencutus

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 01:48:43 am »
Ken -

who's your audiologist @ Chicago Ear? 

Jan

Jill and Carly.  I known Carly from my workplace from last year when she was training for school .  Jill is still my original audiologist since 2008 when I went back to Richard Wiet for my first BAHA surgery.  You can see both of them at Ear Institute of Chicago on Facebook.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 06:47:24 am »
Don't know Jill or Carly; Krystine is my audi.

Jan

hearncl

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 11:42:24 am »
I have a BP100 which I'm happy with except for poor sound quality at certain frequencies. While it works well for conversation, it's difficult to use for watching TV or similar. The problem seems worse at higher frequencies. My BP100 has had many adjustments without helping the sound quality problem (not to mention the inconvenience and expense of repeated trips to the audiologist).

From Cochlear's initial description of the BP 3 Power, I had the impression that it might have better sound quality at higher frequencies. I told my audiologist that I would like to try out the BP 3 Power. She said that based on my hearing loss curve, the BP 3 would have too much power for me and is reluctant to let me try it out.

I'm wondering if, with suitable volume adjustment for my hearing, the extra power of the BP3 might result in better sound quality. I'd appreciate any comments that I might use to persuade the audiologist to let me try the BP3. (Or reasons why she is correct.)

Kencutus

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 12:09:08 pm »
I don't see why your audiologist is refusing you to try out the new BP3 Power,  I would talk with your surgeon or someone over your audiologist if you're not happy with their response to your needs.  You have every rights to try out the new stuff.

hearncl

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 12:50:29 pm »
I don't see why your audiologist is refusing you to try out the new BP3 Power,  I would talk with your surgeon or someone over your audiologist if you're not happy with their response to your needs.  You have every rights to try out the new stuff.
The audiologist had just finished a training seminar on the PB Power, and I think her comments--over the telephone--were based on her limited information about it. If I insist, I suspect they'll let me try it out, at least in the office. I'm just looking for arguments (if any) that it might actually have better sound quality than the BP100.

Referring to the Cochlear announcement of July 15, 2011: "When compared with previous generations of sound processors, Baha 3 Power is designed to provide better speech understanding and superior sound quality."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 03:30:29 pm by hearncl »

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 10:13:36 pm »
Ok..here is my update.  I've had the BP110 (Power) for almost 4 weeks on a trial basis.  It's been "tweaked" once, after about 2 weeks.  I'm going back Thursday for another adjustment before I decide if I want to make the switch.  For me, the sound quality has been better than the BP 100/3.  Word discrimination is better and the volume/power is better.  I do have some feedback and whistling, but not as badly as I had with the BP 100/3.  I get a low whistling sound, almost like rubbing your finger around the rim of a crystal glass.  It's intermittent and has actually improved over the last few weeks.  I've worn it on an airplane, in noisy restaurants and in quiet environments.  I'm impressed.  One more go around with some adjustments should bring me to my final decision.  The sound is very crisp.  The audiologist also changed my music setting to an audio input setting.  When on that setting, the microphone is off, so it is not picking up surrounding noise (like an airplane engine).  So, if not attached to the audio adaptor, it's pretty much like having it turned off all together.  However, I found that that even though I could hear more clearly in the audio input program than the music program with my ipod attached, it still sounded very quiet.  When I put an earplug in my good ear, the sound came to life and I heard the music in my head, just like I do in a totally quiet environment.  My audiologist has not told anyone at UCSD that she got the demo Power model in for trial, because she wanted me to have as long with it as I need.  I do think my decision will be to make the switch, but I will let you know for sure in another 10 days or so.  What a blessing to be able to try this for such a long time.  It really helps in the decision making process.  I will be moving to LA soon, but will continue to go to UCSD in San Diego for all my audiology appointments.  Though when I was first diagnosed it was at HEI, I now have this wonderful audiologist at UCSD and they do not charge me for appointments to adjust my BAHA processor.  I pay for my yearly audiogram or if I see the doctor.  Or, I pay the copay and my insurance pays the rest.  I've established this great relationship there and am not ready to make a change.
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 07:54:35 pm »
Dale, sounds like a great review.  Glad you tried the BP3.

My audi doesn't charge for "tweaking" either.  Some do, some don't.

Jan

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 11:32:58 pm »
With the number of times I have had to see the audiologist for adjustments in the past year, I'd be broke if I had to pay for those visits!  I do think I will make the permanent switch to the BP110, but we still will need to do a little  more fine tuning.  I was in a movie theater tonight and hope the feedback did not sound as loud to those around me as it did to me!  Interestingly, turning the feedback manager off made it worse for me.  According to my audiologist, the feedback manager being on should prevent feedback, not cause more.  When it is off, any ambient noise that does not sound "regular" to the process will register as feedback.
Dale
Tarzana, CA

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2011, 02:25:51 pm »
I've never really understood the feedback manager on the BP100.

Mine is turned off which works well for me.

But I still don't understand why turning it off works well for me  ???

Jan