Author Topic: 2 Weeks - Post Gamma Knife - Dallas  (Read 3464 times)

brucea

2 Weeks - Post Gamma Knife - Dallas
« on: July 26, 2011, 08:33:47 am »
Today is two weeks.  Most days have been good: some small headaches; 1 big headache that the dr office was able to manage from home and 1 really big headache that needed a visit to the ER this past Saturday. I may not have needed to go to the ER if my dr was in town, but even good docs need to have good family time. I am thankful for the ER visit because I had tried to manage the headache/earache on my own from 4 pm on Friday to Saturday morning at 7:56 am.  Yes, I know the exact time I finally called in because I couldn't take it any longer  :'(
Upon getting the the ER,  the nurses assessed me and called my dr office.  He was young and cute but a little socially ackward according to my 23 year old daughter  :)
After pain meds, nausua meds and steroid IV, I was good to go.  By the time I had made the decision to go to the ER, I was in a great deal of pain (crying on the phone to the young dr I think scared him) and so they felt the need to give me another MRI to check for other problems.  NOTE TO SELF: if this happens again, don't wait so long. It was a complications that was expected- swelling of the tumor site from the GK.
Now I'm on a very powerful steriod-Dexamethason 4 mg - step down program for about 12 days. Last night was my first night without much sleep. This morning I took it at 8:15 am, hoping to lessen the sleepless night side effect. 
Other than the really bad headache/earache, all has gone well.  GK compared to real knife surgery--I'll take this anyday.

I will say, I got my first bill yesterday -  sticker shock!  Just turning on the GK cost around 44k ;D Am I worth it--YES!
Thanks for listening and praying,
Ann
1.7 x 1 x .7  facial schwannoma
Gamma Knife treatment - 7-12-11
Dallas, Texas -- UT Southwestern

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 2 Weeks - Post Gamma Knife - Dallas
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 03:53:25 pm »
Hi, Ann - and thanks for that update. 

Although the post-GK headache situation must have harrowing, I'm glad you were able to get relief via the ER and the prescription medications.  I like your attitude that compares your post-GK problems to those of post-surgery AN patients and finds your issues manageable.  The cost of AN surgery usually runs well over $100,000. so the cost of 'turning on' the Gmma Knife apparatus is not as mind-boggling as you might expect.  I maintain it's axiomatic that we're all worth the cost of our treatment (surgery or radiation.) 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

AnnR

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 03:59:50 pm »
I have to tell everyone that my doctor actually gave me his personal cell phone number in the event that I started having any problems ie, facial weakness among other things you normally wtch for after GK.

The reason he did give it to me was because I had told him that prior to GK as I was preparing to get ready for the 90 mile trip I had made at lease two calls to his office and they had not gotten back with me.  I am not a demanding person but this irked me so I had to complain about it when I actually saw my doctor he assured me that if I needed him, I could call his personal cell nember.  I appreciated that so much but I actually had no problems to call him about. Thank God! and I am still doing well just have the teninitis and a little more loss of hearing.

Ask your doctor and maybe he'll give you a definite number to reach him.  this advise is simply for anyone...good luck 

AnnR

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 05:05:00 pm »
Ann

I had CyberKnife radio surgery and the bill was over $140,000.  Of course my insurance only paid a very small part of that as they were under contract.  Health care is soooo expensive!

TJ