Author Topic: Would appreciate some help...  (Read 2513 times)

vicki1967

Would appreciate some help...
« on: July 22, 2011, 06:19:55 pm »
I am a 43 year old woman. I was diagnosed with an AN in '06 and decided to have surgery in '07 (when I found on a 2nd MRI that it was growing).
For those who would like info on recovery - I was out of work for 12 weeks. I have experienced SSD since surgery. I struggled with balance issues for about a year (after surgery) and I had fibromyalgia-like symptoms for nearly 3 years. I could not handle being in crowded places for about 3 years. Crowds (like busy stores or malls) made me feel really confused and I had to leave. Being in crowded places also made me feel insecure, weak and I experienced fatigue and muscle & joint aches & pains. The only way I could describe my symptoms was like having the flu. Now I do not have any symptoms from the surgery. I did not benefit from a hearing aid. It's still a little difficult trying to adjust to the SSD. For example, I cannot determine where a sound is coming from (right, left, front or back). I also cannot hear people whispering or low noises (like the timer on the stove).
Here's where I'd like some help - After 20 years in banking, I lost my job. I believe it was due to the problems associated with my hearing, although the bank would deny that. I have been out of work for a year and a half now. When I apply for jobs, I do not know whether I should indicate 'hearing impaired' or not (when the app asks if you have a disability). I have applied for hundreds of jobs and have never indicated that I had a hearing problem. I have not been called once for an interview. This may be due to the fact I am overqualified (I made good money at the bank) or with the fact I am now applying for jobs in the medical field, as I went to school for medical assisting and recently graduated (so I may be underqualified in this field).
Questions - Does anybody know of any resources that could help me find a job in the medical field? Should I advise that I am hearing impaired? Has anybody else encountered such issues, and if so, what have they done? I really need to find work.

Thank you!!

Jill Marie

Re: Would appreciate some help...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 09:28:29 pm »
Hi Vicki,

The great thing about this forum is that there are so many people on here that there is bound to be a few people that have been in a similar situation and are more than happy to offer there help.  I too am SSD and also left side paralysis, use eye ointment every 15 minutes or so.  I got a job 16 years ago, 3 years after my surgery, so yes, you too can get a job.  I was 38 when I got the job.  I didn't tell them anything about my surgery, didn't want that to keep me from getting the job.  My husband's Union was on strike and I really needed a job.  I'm not saying you should or shouldn't tell anyone, I'm just saying I didn't.  If you are applying for a job where safety is an issue as far as your hearing is concerned then you defiantly need to tell them. 

I know the economy is really making it hard for people to find jobs now and that might be your main issue.  However the over qualified and under qualified can also play a part. 

I sure hope that the bank didn't let you go because of the hearing as although it might take you a minute or two longer to help a customer that is soft spoken it certainly shouldn't be cause for letting you go considering all the experience you had.  If there was no other good reason for letting you go then I guess you have to assume the worst.  Unfortunately trying to prove that they let you go because of the hearing would be a long and possibly expensive road to take. 

Glad to hear you aren't experiencing all the issues you were having so you can work again.  Hopefully someone else can help you with the resources you need to find a job in the medical field. 

Let us know how the job hunting goes, Jill :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 10:03:39 pm »
Vicki -

my take on this situation is that it's basically a problem with the economy.  I lost my job last year - had been there almost 25 years - and although I found a new job fairly quickly, I definitely settled for less (and MUCH less than I was making).  The employment world is changing, and for the most part it's not for the better.

Like Jill Marie, I don't think the bank let you go because of your hearing.  I know many, many people who've lost their job in the past 2 or 3 years and a lot of it has to do with the salaries they were making.  Longevity and seniority generally equal a fairly decent wage; employers can hire less experienced works much cheaper and in addition, there is a glut of over-qualified, highly educated, people looking to work for much less than they are worth simply because they can't find a job.

The place I used to work hired someone with a CPA and a Master's Degree (I have neither) for about a 1/3 of what they paid me when I left.  In addition, she is single and I have two dependents; her insurance coverage is much less than mine was.  Add to that the fact that I was getting 20 paid vacation days, while she'll be getting 10 for the next 5 years - and you can see how much the company is saving.

I've only indicated on a job application once or twice that I was hearing impaired, and only because it was a specific question that was asked and I didn't want to be dishonest. 

That said, I'm an accountant and I wear a BAHA so my SSD isn't that noticeable to most people.  I can perform my job duties without SSD being a factor; in fact, the people I work with have no idea I even wear a BAHA or am SSD.

I think if the job I was applying for was dependent on me having "normal" hearing, I'd feel an obligation to disclose my "disability" - but if not, I don't think it's required.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

vicki1967

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 03:41:19 pm »
Thank you both for the suggestions. I really appreciate it!