Author Topic: Any experience with Dr. William Friedman at UF/Shands in Gainesville, Florida?  (Read 9330 times)

tambourine man

I'm thinking of scheduling LINAC radiosurgery with Dr. William Friedman at Shands hospital in Gainesville, Florida.  I'd be interested in hearing from any of his patients, including in relation to follow-up care.  Does he reply quickly to calls from patients who are worried about symptom flare-ups?  Does he provide reassurance if that's all that's needed?  Has he dealt effectively with any more serious problems?  Does he give you the time and attention you need post-treatment?

sgerrard

If it is any help, I saw him give a presentation at the ANA Symposium in Chicago in 2009, and was impressed by his professionalism and stature in the field. He seems like he would be a good doctor to work with. Hopefully someone who has been to him will come along.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Monique1958

I underwent LINAC radiation therapy performed by Dr. Friedman in December of 2008.  The man did not even spend 10 minutes with me for the pretreatment appointment scheduled with him. He was very short and annoyed at my questions and my mom's questions and said he "Had something he had to do that was important" and he didn't have any time to answer questions.  So, he sent in another physician, the one who treats cancerous lesions, don't recall his name to answer my questions.  I have an AVM in the right frontal lobe.  Anyway, I did undergo the treatment the following morning.  Dr. Friedman applied the Halo brace....all he said was "hi."  I was given a pamphlet stating I could call there at any time, and would receive answers to questions, etc ,etc...  I have to this date not spoken to Dr. Friedman, not ONE TIME!!!  I also had the experience of meeting another AVM patient who underwent radiation therapy by Dr. Friedman and his experience with Dr. Friedman was the same.  This poor guy was at least 10 years post-radiosurgery and told me he NEVER spoke with Dr. Friedman, only his secretary (same thing for me.)   This man was still having intense seizures at times and he was not able to ever get any answers from Dr. Friedman.  I know I'm posting this much later than June , so perhaps you have already gone ahead with the procedure. I would strongly advise against his medical services, but if you have already undergone something by Dr. Friedman TRY and be aggressive if you must get answers or help from him..... I HOPE YOU are successfull..........I underwent a follow up MRI of the brain on Friday July 29th, waiting to go and get the results tomorrow and see if the AVM (arteriovenous malformation is obliterated)  it was not as of last MRI around 16 months ago.  His secretary at that time called me and told me I would need to undergo re-treatment with the LINAC if the lesion wasn't gone. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, HE IS NOT GOING TO TOUCH ME AGAIN (he also apparently wanted to do an angiogram first.) THIS information was all relayed by the secretary.   I felt like part of a cattle herd when the procedure was done  (They had around 12 or so other patients all to undergo radiation  by Dr. Friedman scheduled for the morning thru afternoon.) I didn't know about this either, until I arrived at the hospital. Apparently then he decided which order he would take the patients in, I was scheduled by him to be towards the last of the afternoon patients,however I was having difficulty holding my head up as the brace is somewhat heavy, and I fell into a wall while going to the bathroom, so he moved my procedure up in order to the morning patients. There was only one other AVM patient there, a few acoustic neuroma patients, and others had tumors.  All I can say is the experience was strange. The other patients were nice to have around and talk to, the nurse assigned to care for us was very nice and compassionate....Dr. Friedman was not involved personally with any of us.  I kind of like to have access to my physicians if I have a problem or question, don't you?  I ended up finding a neurologist in my area to assist me with some of the post radiation complications. I live about 3 1/2 hours away from Gainesville.  I hope you have MUCH success in your procedure with a good outcome!!!!!   

JAndrews

I wanted to consult in person with him. When I called the office, I admit I was a bit anxiety ridden, I had just found out I had a tumor..anyways...the office staff was rude, short with me...acted like I was a bother to them. I did continue to deal with them a few more times (because that was one of the places my insurance would pay for) but then moved on. If his office staff is like this..then so is he as far as I'm concerned.
My mother had surgery done by him about 10 years, she said he was arrogant, wouldn't answer her questions, and she would never see him again. She had a couple of problems post-op..none of her phone calls were returned.
In my opinion...find someone else
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Sheryl

Wow the last two posts are unsettling.  I was referred to UF/Shands in Gainesville but, since we were snowbirds, decided on care in Boston.  I went to a large teaching hospital there and was treated with time, knowledge, and respect.  The doctor gave me his e-mail address, and I get a response usually the same day directly from him.  The staff goes out of their way to make you feel comfortable and at ease. 

Someone should print out these posts and forward them (even anonymously) to Dr. Friedman.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

JAndrews

I am not computer savvy..I would love for these posts to be sent to him. Anyone who can do it...please do!
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.