Author Topic: BAHA and Medicare  (Read 5583 times)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
BAHA and Medicare
« on: June 23, 2011, 09:26:32 pm »
Just curious if any of you have gotten a BAHA with Medicare.    I don't need to jump the gun too much.....but....I was approved recently for social security disability (not just based on AN stuff, but multiple other issues too).   After a certain amount of time goes by I will be able to get some kind of Medicare.    My disability isn't a permanent thing (hopefully), so I will be up for reviews.   Since I have wanted a BAHA and battled with my husbands work insurance for a year or so and still getting denied....I am hoping to get one as soon as Medicare would kick in.  That way if many of my issues get better and I don't need or get the disability after a review then I can at least get a hearing device.  (anything would be nice actually....my current insurance don't cover anything!)

I am wondering how things go with Medicare and like how much it pays and which "part of the Medicare covers it (A, B, C, D)???   I don't want to sound greedy or selfish or anything with this topic.   Getting disability at a young as is something bitter sweet.....I have many issues and can in no way work.  But I also have a family and many many MANY medical bills to pay and due to continued care due to my issues & won't end any time.  I pray that if I get a hearing device it will somehow help one of my issues...the continued pain I get from turning my head & body so much to try to hear things  :(

Thank you for any support and help!
Denise (MI) 
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: BAHA and Medicare
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:33:20 pm »
Denise .....

I am on Humana Medicare and HEI had no trouble getting approval for both my translab and Ponto Pro abutment surgeries at the same time six weeks ago.  I paid $600+ out of pocket, plus $240 of my remaining annual out of pocket and that was all.  Far better than the $5,000 I spent on two hearing aids that are now useless.  (Medicare would not pay a penny on either of those!)

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 10:17:59 pm »
Yeah seems odd that Medicare don't cover normal hearing aids too!   

Wow though on the cost you paid!  Sure will be nice if it works out for me....I need a little something positve & helpful!!
THanks!
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 04:57:45 pm »
Medicare started paying for BAHAs and BAHA implants long before most private insurance companies started paying.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 08:42:21 am »
I was approved for social security disability last October because of my stroke and AN. I am too young to be on medicare for several years, but will be eligible in two years following the start of my disability. I believe the two year wait is the standard if you are not eligible to start medicare due to your age. Your photo tells me you are lots of years away from starting because of your age. I would keep up the fight with the insurance company... two years is a long time to wait.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 03:26:00 pm »
Thanks James,  actually I turned 40 the day after I won my disability hearing.   The judge told me right away I was awarded them and can be up for review in a year from now.   SHe also explained how the Medicare will kick in after 2 years of my 1st ?payment? date.  WHich for me goes back and starts the 6 months of my onset date.  For me that was 6 months past my AN surgery (since I haven't worked since that day forward).    So actually the 2 years will be May of 2012 that Medicare will kick in.   So that is only 11 more months.   I battled with my insurance for a whole year, along with the human resource office of my husbands work.    SO, now I am just looking forward to the benefit of getting the Medicare as part of my disability plan.    One thing is that my lawyer told me to be sure to get on the ball RIGHT away for the BAHA by for when my Medicare is due to start....because due to my age, etc. they may do another review of my social security disability as soon as next year June or July.   SO, I want to have all my ducks in a row and be ready!    Do to all the issues I have, I can't see them being better in a year (if I get a review), but just know I will benefit from a baha, so planning ahead (and dreaming for the day). 
THANKS
Denise (MI)