Author Topic: A question for those with implants...  (Read 3890 times)

jmcneil189

A question for those with implants...
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:02:32 pm »
I'm scheduled to have the gold weight implanted in early July, finally after a year, and was curious as to how the implant improved any of your dispositions. Currently, I have to wear sunglasses everywhere and my eye is constantly watering, and has a "goo" in it. These issues keep me from driving, which I hope the surgery will fix. Any input is appreciated.

Kaybo

Re: A question for those with implants...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:55:36 pm »
I have been "with" and "without" weights for many years - I had surgery 15 years ago when I was 25.  Right now I am "without" but I have never had to wear sunglasses (except when in the sun) and once I was intially allowed to drive again after AN surgery/stroke (NOT typical), I have never NOT driven.  When I don't have a weight, I use Refresh PM 24/7 so I don't really see out of that eye, but it isn't a problem.  When I have had a weight, I use Systane - usually just in morning and if dry or red otherwise - Refresh PM at night...

The weight surgeries themselves have been VERY simple procedures - one I went straight to my daughter's soccer game - with my bag of frozen peas, of course!!  ;)

Don't know if this has helped any - feel free to ask anything else if I can be of help!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

KBL

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:43:22 pm »
I got a gold weight in December.  My eye still waters, has goo, but does not produce tears.  I use Systane constantly and Refresh PM at night.  For me the main thing has been the eye will actually close most of the way when I blink.  I'm sure you know it is important to keep your eye healthy with moisure.  I still do not drive and I wear sunglasses when I am outside.  Today I stayed indoors because it was quite breezy outside.  I found some, oh so fashionable, :P safety sunglasses with a foam on the outside to allow me to tolerate some wind.  I am very glad I got the weight, I believe it is helping save my sight, and makes me look a bit more normal when I blink.  I hope yours goes well and you are happy you got the weight.  It seems everyones experience is differnet.
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 10:40:49 am »
hi j:  I can't imagine living without my platinum implant.  My eye was wide open (looked like a skeleton) without it.  It gives my eyelids symmetry & helps with my 'forced' blinking.
I wish you all the best.  Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

mandy721

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 07:53:42 pm »
The platinum implant my husband had made a big difference and.  It was recently removed, when it broke through his eyelid ( not common), and the difference is obvious.  His eye doesn't  close much without it.  He had hoped he wouldn't need the weight, but it is clear that it needs to go back when the lid heals. As much as Ken doesn't want any more procedures, he is looking forward to having the weight back in. With the  weight, he used and ointment at night.  His eye tends to drip due to tears pooling in the lower lid, which  doesn't sit snugly against the eye. When the weight is reinserted, the occuplastic surgeon will be tightening up the lower lid.   Good luck with the weight.  I hope it improves your dispostition :)
Miranda
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems