Author Topic: Headache after exercise...  (Read 9367 times)

cin605

Headache after exercise...
« on: June 05, 2011, 10:55:37 am »
Got on my bicycle yesterday first real ride in 3 years...came back ...had the drops broke a bowl....headache today...eyeballs are sore...To much for my vestubular?
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

nftwoed

Re: Headache after exercise...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 12:45:02 pm »
Hello;

After 3 years? Depending upon how hard you rode ( you say, "real ride" ) and your physical condition, sounds a bit like a spike in blood pressure to me.
  It seems if it's been 3 years and you have one good ear, the vestibular loss would be well compensated for by now.
  If your out of shape, or taking meds of some type, those could cause HA and eyes hurting ( part of the HA ) also.
  Dropping a bowel sounds coincidental to me, or, related to a nervous system influenced by a med?
  Just a few guesses. Easy does it, Cin!  : )

cin605

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 02:24:37 pm »
For some unknown reason my vestubular never comensated.....yes i believe the bowl drop is related to nerve issues...i drop all the time but more so after exercise.
I am in fairly good shape for a 45 year old woman....110lbs...5ft.
i think i just did a little too much....i also went grocery shopping yesterday which tends to throw my vestub. into a frezy any way.
After posting i realized i read a book for a good 3 hours last night and that is probly why my eyeballs hurt,
My blood pressure is perfect.Never been high except for when i am in  extreme pain.Then  it spikes.
Thanks for the great advice.I will take it slow...day by day.
cindy
43yrs old

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 06:13:51 pm »
Cin

Interesting topic that I will be following to see what others note.  My PCP and I have discussed my migraine issues (I've been now diagnosed with 6 different kinds of migraines by Faulkner Headache Clinic, but none believed to be related to my AN journey).  It has been noted that when I increase my heartrate, the migraines set in.

Will see what others note here as well. I'm also interested to know.

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nftwoed

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 10:31:36 am »
Hi

"when I increase my heartrate, the migraines set in".  I suppose that's why beta blockers are often a drug of choice for some migraine sufferers? They slow the heart rate and reduce pumping chamber pressure and velocity.
  Re, Cindy and "doing a little too much", I'm unsure what is all affected here except increased vestibular demand, and increased vascular demand. If strenuous exercise hasn't been commonplace for 3 years, I suppose a combination of things work together to produce the sx.

cin605

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 11:16:19 am »
I have used my eliptical trainer and same thing happened.
43yrs old

cin605

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 11:18:31 am »
I take dailey walks and seem to be o.k.....Tried to run once and will not do that again.
43yrs old

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 04:31:52 pm »
 "when I increase my heartrate, the migraines set in".  I suppose that's why beta blockers are often a drug of choice for some migraine sufferers? They slow the heart rate and reduce pumping chamber pressure and velocity.

Thanks for the heads up!  Can't take as such as I have low blood pressure.  Possible correllation, in my case, to vascular issues in the head.... as well as other reasons (I won't get into here).  Due to my extreme sensitivities to meds (as many that know me here are aware), I have to be careful with what I take. Working Gabapentin and Topamax protocol now, as well as massage therapy. Will see if it works.

Cin, discuss with PCP to see about exercise but potential of increase heart rate bringing on the headaches and how you can work around it?  Dunno.

Phyl
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 04:34:08 pm by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

LisaP

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 04:52:38 pm »
Hi,

I find that walking is the best is can do, if I do too much bending up and down, twisting, I can become dizzy and of course leads to headaches.

LisaP
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

nftwoed

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 08:05:28 am »
Hi;
  Re, HA; Gabapentin does affect the brain chemical, GABA. Drugs as benzodiazepines also affect, GABA.
  Both are used for head ache.
  Benzos have a high affinity to affect the heart. I wonder if Neurontin and Lyrica do also?

Mei Mei

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 09:46:00 pm »
Oh, dear Cindy,
You've got to take it easy.   I know you're 110 pounds, but you haven't exercised in a long time.    My Physiatrist at Hopkins told me to start on the bike for 1 min and work up by 30 seconds every three days until I got to a half hour.   Slow, yes, but no headaches.  

I had headaches from my teens all the way through college and grad school.   The cramps were bad too....throwing up every month for as long as I can remember.   I even found Johnnie Walker which I hated just to throw up and get it over with and feel better.   Then when I was 42, my mother passed away and at her funeral dinner, I bled all over the floor in the church hall.   I told my gyn when I got home and she said it sounded like endometriosis.   Had a Laparoscopy a few months later and yes it was endo.   Wish I had known that in high school and gotten it treated.    I don't know what they would have done coz at 42, they gave me Lupron depot for 4 months,,,, I couldn't tolerate the originally prescribed 6 months and went through early menopause.   That cured the headaches, but then they started again when I ws under stress at work and got Myofacial Pain (Fibromyalgia) as diagnosed by the Physiatrist at Hopkins who told me to start riding a bike.   Finally my new primary care told me that Cymbalta was just pass by the FDA for fibro and after 2 days on it...no headaches or body pain until many years later after my now famous AN surgery at Hopkins.

Fast forward and the Myofacial release therapy and no headaches again.   What can I say dear Cindy...I am 62 and you are not yet 40.   Is it related to hormones, stress from all you've been through and that's quite a lot or Fibro, Myofacial pain.   You need a good diagnostician and that is hard to come by.    

Best advice is with us, we have to do things in 15 minute increments or we get pain and a headache.   OSHA says the same now   and that was several years after I ruptured a herniated disc while working as a writer at the NIH and spending 8 hours a day reading on a computer back in 1988.    Remember 15 minute increments is the RULE.

Will call you tomorrow morning.
Hugs,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Lupy

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 12:06:53 am »
I find exercise really affects my migraines/headaches. I used to run semi-pro and body build (I've gained 10 kilos since the operation  :'(). Now, 2 years out from surgery, I am still struggling to walk the dogs without too much pain or setting off a migraine. I am not sure why that is? I am on a lot of different medication (Lyrica, Sandomigran, Nortryptaline, Indocit, Panadene Forte and beta blockers for a heart condition) so maybe that has something to do with it?

My own personal feeling is that it is something to do with ‘stressing’ the body. What is released in the body when it is under physical, mental or emotional stress seems to set my pain off. This could possibly be adrenaline, cortisol,  endorphins… who knows? All I know is slow and steady seems to win the race.

Tai Chi has been a wonder exercise for me. It builds strength and endurance but is slow and you can monitor your heart rate and adjust accordingly. There are also a number of Tai Chi exercises I find that relieve my headaches. Walking laps in a therapy pool also seems to work OK.
“Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved” S. Kierkegaard

2.5cm Tumour removed 1/7/2009
Retrosigmoid @ The Royal Melbourne
Debilitating headaches/migraines from 2 weeks post surgery till current.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 05:03:28 pm »
I'm interested in learning the Tai Chi exercises, please share.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Lupy

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 03:48:34 am »
Hi Anne-Marie,

I just joined the International Tai Chi association and went to their classes. (Well, it’s the Australian Tai Chi association but they are linked in with branches all over the world. The website is here: http://www.taichiaustralia.com.au/). They had a lot to offer.

From there I found a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) doctor who not only gave me significant pain relief through (quite intense) treatments but was very forthcoming with Tai Chi movements I could do between sessions to keep myself limber. However, I have been to a few TCM doctors and I do find you have to ‘push’ them a little for info but when you do they tend to be really great.

I would try explaining them online but its nearly impossible. I find TCM has given me a good way to conseputalize pain. Rather than 'pain' I can view it as 'blocked Qi' and take control of it by doing exercises to move it around the body and away from where it is hurting. It sounds odd I know but I have just had to go with what works - and so far western medicine has only offered me drugs or more operations...

Good luck anyway if you decide to try it out. Sometimes it can take a while to find the right TCM doctor but when you do it can be great!  :)

Lupy
“Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved” S. Kierkegaard

2.5cm Tumour removed 1/7/2009
Retrosigmoid @ The Royal Melbourne
Debilitating headaches/migraines from 2 weeks post surgery till current.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 01:29:40 pm »
Assuming you were riding a regular bike and not a stationary....my thought might be were you turning your head a lot to see around??     I tried riding once with my boys and felt like I was turning my head/neck like crazy trying to watch for them or oncoming car, etc.   Due to the SSD it makes it harder to tell where things are.    I also have gotten some of my headaches or neck pain excelled after going for walk and turning my head to much to 'hear' things.   

Possibly you were a bit nervous if it has been that long on a bike....maybe a bit of a stress or tension headache??
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI